Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

How to give the RAC lots of money

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
paul bristol uk
My Generation: 4G

How to give the RAC lots of money

Post by paul bristol uk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:55 am

As some of you may know both Jenny and I have had and are still suffering significant heath problems since last August, The upshot of this is the Lude has not been used more than once and the Soarer perhaps a couple of dozen times for short trips 3-4 miles.
So in chronological order
Last Sunday afternoon I got in the Soarer and turned the key,nothing(it had been left fo 2 weeks due to me sodding my knees up in a fall from my Zimmer)! Car was going to have the respray rectified on Monday PM and picked up by a recovery truck.
Called the RAC as I thought it was the immobilisor nope it was the battery £139.99. Monday morning same issue so second RAC guy tightened up the positive terminal and all was well and the Soarer went to the bodyshop where it still resides at the time of writing.
Yesterday Saturday I needed to get a couple of bits so I thought I would use the Lude,turned the key nothing! RAC again another battery drokked £129 99 this time.

The moral of this diatribe is If you don't want to burn money like me. Even if you are not driving your car,start it and let it tick over once every week or two for at least 30mins to an hour.

BTW Soarer battery was new in August and the Lude September 2017

As Del Boy would say "What a plonker" :oops:
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

lucas
XBOX GamerTag: I Lucas L

Post by lucas » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 am

Invest in a battery jump pack :lol:

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10 am

jumper pack in the garage for next time for sure but both of those batteries will still be under warranty so if they are dead (unchargable/broken) you would get new like for like regardless...... why were they not just jump starting you and advising you to take it on a run? Sure flattening the battery will lose you some capacity but it wont kill a newish battery.... imho thats 270 quid they shouldn't have asked you to spend with a 30% surcharge because they sold it to you on your own drive..... Do you still have the old batteries or did they 'do you a favor' and take them away for 'disposal'?

I hate this kind of blatant trapped audience gouging. Its like war profiteering. Bang out of order.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

PreludePete
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by PreludePete » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Paul,

Definitely an ouch moment! Agree with lewd lover , Chase the RAC for a refund!

Also, get a decent battery charger, Halfords do one for about £30.00. Keeps the batteries topped up as well as charging when low. Its been a good investment for me.

Pete

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:28 pm

If the RAC works like Green Flag, the technician would have collected a nice commission on the sale of a battery off the van.
International Pensioner of Mystery

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:25 pm

hi paul sorry to hear of your troubles , i am with lewd lover they should of tried a jump start first :shock: advising giving the car bit of a run
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

bluejackhustler
Supporter 2014
PSN GamerTag: vtecmoggy

Post by bluejackhustler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 am

Once a battery is completely flat its plates begin to corrode.
Once that starts, its done for. Especially with lead acid types.

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 am

the wife has just dumped RAC for the AA (for now) as they took 24hrs to recover her & her car ... :shock:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”