Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4G Front Speakers and Tweeters question

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
uberNoobZA
My Generation: 4G

4G Front Speakers and Tweeters question

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:27 am

I'm looking to upgrade the front speakers in my 4G, with a component set. This set comes with a crossover(?) to split out the signal for the tweeters. My question about doing this is as following -

Can I ditch the crossover that comes with the speakers, and simply replace the existing OEM tweeters with the new ones? i.e. does the OEM wiring include a crossover that splits to door speakers and tweeters, or is the OEM tweeter wiring simply getting the exact same full signal that goes to the door speakers ?

If I send full audio signal to the tweeters, they'll sound crap and not last long, correct ?

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 am

Its been a while, but I -think- there is a crossover in line with the tweeters, hence when I fitted my component setup, I ran the new wires and crossovers up. Much better quality anyway TBH.
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:15 am

bennyboy wrote:Its been a while, but I -think- there is a crossover in line with the tweeters, hence when I fitted my component setup, I ran the new wires and crossovers up. Much better quality anyway TBH.
Thanks for response. However, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the OEM setup already has a crossover installed, or it doesn't ? i.e. if it did, then not sure why you ran your own cables and crossover.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 am

Right, sorry.
As I say I'm not 100%, but what I meant was I seem to recall that there is a crossover in line with the tweeters in the OEM wiring.
My setup came with its own in-line crossovers and speaker cables of course, which were of a better quality anyway.
Since I was going to the trouble of fitting new kit, I opted to run my new cables, new crossovers to the new tweeters (and woofers.)

HTH

EDIT to say: Apologies! Don't know why I'm saying in line with the tweeters specifically?! Just in line full stop of course.

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks.Where did you mount the crossover? I'm thinking I'll mount the crossovers under the dash, running tweeter wires straight up to tweeters, and then feeding new speaker cables through grommet into door, leaving OEM wiring in place ?

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:37 pm

uberNoobZA wrote:Thanks.Where did you mount the crossover? I'm thinking I'll mount the crossovers under the dash, running tweeter wires straight up to tweeters, and then feeding new speaker cables through grommet into door, leaving OEM wiring in place ?
Yeah, pretty sure mine was a moulded cable setup into the crossover, so I mounted them under dash with zip ties and fed the wires up for the tweeter and through the door grommet for the woofer, as you say.
FYI, in case you didn't know, the rubber grommet is in three parts, the two corners and the joining piece. If you carefully separate them it's much easier to feed the cable through.

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Run the crossover that comes with the new speakers. The crossover frequency, slope, q and any other built in attenuation will be made for the speakers.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Oh yes, and that ^

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Yes, use the crossover that comes with the speakers.
The only 'crossover' in the standard speakers is a capacitor or inductor (I forget which) directly on the back of the tweeter.

So, you will have to drokk with the wiring in the car in order to install your new crossover setup.

From factory it comes out of the stereo and then somewhere along the loom, there's a splice to split into pairs of wires to the tweeter and to the woofer. You will probably be best off installing your crossovers behind the head unit (that's where I've always put mine) so you will need to split the wiring between woofers/tweeters, from that point forward.

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks all for the advice :D

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”