Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Wire harness connector

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
no0ne
My Generation: 5G

Wire harness connector

Post by no0ne » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 pm

hello guys. Maybe someone has the knowledge on how to open these damn door wire harness connectors in 5gen ? Does not matter which side, these connectors have a white plastic part, which as i understand should come of and you can slide out all the individual pins of the connector. But in reality seems like these connectors are made without intention of being opened second time. I was fixing someone else's terrible job of not giving a f-uck on my car(which I've found completely accidentally) and after some while with small flat screw driver I've got to the conclusion, that these connectors are not meant to be opened at all. Or am i wrong ?

Scott560

Re: Wire harness connector

Post by Scott560 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I didn't try to remove them - i could barely remove the rubber part easily. Ended up drilling a small hole and running my extra wires for power folding mirrors that way (bit nasty but there you go).

One word of advice heat shrinking many soldered connections - sometimes the sharp ends of a solder blob when iron is removed, can poke through the tubing , not something id ever thought of but noticed recently when doing a similar task on another car.

a hot iron and solder with decent flux should keep the joint clean enough with no sharp edges, but its worth keeping an eye out for.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Couldn't you wire folding mirrors from the mirror control switch ? In case of a heated mirrors, they are powered from the same yellow/black which powers mirrors control switch.
Yeah so back to the topic, drilling was not required for me, i just wanted to fix somebody's terrible job. If i would have known how to open the connector, i wouldn't needed to solder 18 wires :) After every solder, i inspected everything from different angles and all was looking mint.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 am

the mirror heating circuit is 2 wires, and the motor is another 2 wires. I wired the folding motor up additionally using the relay pack and new wires rather than trying to bastardise any circuits already there - less chance of braking anything. Also, the extra button i added to the dash replaces the horrible hole left by the old alarm transponder point.

still not complete, need to tidy up the wiring, and find an 'in' to the toggle relay box to allow central locking activation of the mirrors.

What was your disaster - i dread to think what the previous owner did to require that level of rework.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 am

Well i think that person realised the connector isnt going to open up so easily, so he went the easiest way- by cutting part of it with angle grinder and doing what he intented to do. But by the looks of the connector, i saw no changes in the terms of number of individual pins in it, so he just fckd the connector without doing anything.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”