Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Central Locking Fob/Remote

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Re: Central Locking Fob/Remote

Post by bennyboy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 am

Did you say yours is a UK 4th gen car? If so, chances are it has a Hamilton and Palmer alarm immobiliser as they had the contract at the time. Mine is a 94 UK and that's the setup. When I bought it, the central locking was done via key, the alarm/immob was done via the fob. I wanted to do the whole lot from the fob so went to Crown Honda in Bushey who told me it was Hamilton and Palmer. Got in touch with them and they supplied the actuator for the drivers door and the central locking module that plugs straight into their alarm (in the pass footwell). oh and another fob to go with.
VERY helpful guys and didn't cost that much either. That was over 15 years ago and its still all tickety boo.
HTH somehow.
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:43 pm

There are indeed two different types of lock fitted on the drivers side on 4th gens.
The ones with the integral motor (I believe it's actually a solenoid) were ONLY on JDM models with the silver "lock" switch that vtecmec referred to.

The ONLY OEM remote unlocking function from factory was on JDM's (and not on all JDM's either, it was an option by the looks).
On these cars, you will have the IR remote sensor under the drivers door handle;
(the small rectangular bit you can see towards the right hand side in that pic)
These have a larger key with single button built in to lock/unlock (I can't find a pic off-hand but have two cars fitted with this system - although it doesn't work on either due to dead key batteries :lol: :roll: )

It's easy to get round the lack of oem drivers door lock with integrated soleniod though, by fitting a common or garden unlocking solenoid to the drivers door, which clamps to the unlocking rod that runs between the internal manual lock pull and the door lock itself (this is the way most after market alarm systems were installed on cars that didn't already have central locking in the 90's);
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3A0E-OEM-2-W ... SwQZdcBOV6
That ^^^^^
I think there are some pics of this set up on my UKDM profile thread, which has an after market 90's era TOAD alarm system installed.

*on UK cars there was an oem optional accessory alarm system (this is the system that Bennyboy has described above) which was branded as Honda. I'm not sure on this one if they swapped the drivers door lock to an oem item with integrated solenoid, just installed a secondary universal type solenoid as with the full after market alarm designs.

EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

Post by EddieMunster » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:03 am

wurlycorner wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:43 pm
*on UK cars there was an oem optional accessory alarm system (this is the system that Bennyboy has described above) which was branded as Honda. I'm not sure on this one if they swapped the drivers door lock to an oem item with integrated solenoid, just installed a secondary universal type solenoid as with the full after market alarm designs.
I think they must have done, as although I bought my 2.0 second hand, it was fairly new and and ex-Honda car, and it came with a set of Honda-branded keys with the remote fob/key in one unit. Both keys eventually gave up the ghost, as once you'd put them in your pocket they'd bend and crack the housing, and I had to get a friend (a Toad engineer) so sort out replacements as my local Honda dealer wanted no part in the replacement process.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”