Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Central Locking Fob/Remote

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

Central Locking Fob/Remote

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi

My central locking works fine, however the 4g only came with one key, i.e. the "spare" key without any remote electronics in it. Is there an easy solution into getting a new fob/key and coding it to the car or do I have to jump through expensive fire-ringed hoops in order to reinstate this useful feature? :D

Regards
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Re: Central Locking Fob/Remote

Post by Drax » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 pm

4g's don't have an immobilizer (unless you have an aftermarket one) so just get another copied at a key cutter 🙂
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Drax wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 pm
4g's don't have an immobilizer (unless you have an aftermarket one) so just get another copied at a key cutter 🙂
It's the central locking remote that needs replacing, the only key I have is the spare which doesn't have the remote functionality on it. Back in the day the key had the remote in it, which was a pain as you'd put the key in your pocket and it'd bend/break the remote itself.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:58 pm

EddieMunster wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm
Drax wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 pm
It's the central locking remote that needs replacing, the only key I have is the spare which doesn't have the remote functionality on it. Back in the day the key had the remote in it, which was a pain as you'd put the key in your pocket and it'd bend/break the remote itself.
ah i see!! i got the gist you just needed a replacement key lol

do you know if its an OEM fob or aftermarket?
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Drax wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:58 pm
ah i see!! i got the gist you just needed a replacement key lol

do you know if its an OEM fob or aftermarket?
No, I have the standard key without remote, I need the OEM key with the remote built in. It may well be there are other solutions these days, I know you can have the flip-style Audi key remote for most other cars, maybe something like that.

1st world problems; opening the car manually is beginning to take its toll on me! :D
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Tusker

Post by Tusker » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Didn’t 4Gs only have aftermarket remotes? I don’t think there was a key with the remote built in. My last 4g had a laser line remote fob, separate from the key.

I’m in the same position as you with my current 4g. It does have a Honda alarm system (not factory fitted) but there’s no information to get a fob to match (even if one could be found) so I’m resigned to getting a new aftermarket alarm/remote fitted at about £350.

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 am

Tusker wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm
Didn’t 4Gs only have aftermarket remotes? I don’t think there was a key with the remote built in. My last 4g had a laser line remote fob, separate from the key.

I’m in the same position as you with my current 4g. It does have a Honda alarm system (not factory fitted) but there’s no information to get a fob to match (even if one could be found) so I’m resigned to getting a new aftermarket alarm/remote fitted at about £350.
No, I'm almost 100% they had a factory option for a remote; my 1995 2.0 had that option, with a Honda stamped key the same as the spare. The key was the same size/dimension as the spare so it was so easy to bend/break, which I did, and I remember being able to get a replacement from Honda (although I did have my pants pulled down, even though I used to work for Honda). The dealers no longer have the ability to do it, I checked when I was in getting a few bits this week.

Looks like it might have to be the aftermarket route as you say......
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 am

Tusker wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm

I've had everything in pieces, and spoken to an auto-spark that I know, and this is what I've discovered.

Remote Central Locking:

Unless a remote fob/alarm system has already been fitted, you'll need a motor for the door as in standard spec, only the passenger door has a motor. On the driver's side, the key rotating in the barrel, combined with the handle, i.e. manually, is what opens the driver's door; the signal then activates the motor in the passenger door. Now, some Prelude's had motors in BOTH doors, and the way to check is to open the passenger door with the key and see if the driver's door opens too; if it does, you won't need a driver's door motor, if it doesn't, you'll need a driver's door motor.

Depending on where you go, the motor's are normally around £30, so it's not the end of the world.

Alarm

If your Prelude has had an alarm fitted, and depending on the spec, fitting a new alarm could prove to be troublesome. The reason for that is, it's very expensive to remove what's currently there, in man hours, so most people just leave that in tact and then fit a newer spec alarm alongside. However, the issue will arise if you have ultrasound or movement sensors on the old alarm as these can interfere with those on the newer spec alarms. In reality, you're better served if your Honda was originally supplied in pauper-spec and therefore had no alarm, or at best a very simple alarm with no additional sensors.

Options - Remote Central Locking

Either this: https://www.scorpionauto.com/remote-cen ... pion-sa10/ or this: https://www.scorpionauto.com/car-securi ... toad-rk30/

There are other options available, plenty on eBay, but from what I gather these 2 (and a Cobra version) are what's normally retro-fitted. All options will need the door motor if required, and they all essentially do the same thing, but I'd edge towards the SA10 as that'll do auto-locking on ignition.

Fitment costs depends on where you are, and who you choose, but I've been quoted about £120-£130 for the hardware/fitting, and £30 for a motor, so around £150 (which I don't think is unreasonable). However, what I did find out is that quite a few installers simply can't be arsed with old kit like the Honda, i.e. having to fit a door motor, and so they'll tell you that it cannot be done regardless of solution. It can, but you'll have to ring around and find someone less lazy I suppose. :D

Options - Alarm

Any really, the wiring harness in the Prelude is sufficiently featured enough to allow you to fit almost any modern alarm, certainly if you only need a alarm, motion sensors, auto-locking, remote start etc. If you want some of the really clever stuff, it's hard to do, but to be honest all I want to do is save myself 2 seconds each time I unlock the car (now that's what I call a First World problem), I'm not bothered if it can't tell me, via an Apple watch, that the clown that has stolen it has spent 372 seconds in VTEC mode in the last 15 minute interval.

Hopefully that'll help anyone that's in the same predicament as us.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:09 am

I've not bothered with an alarm, people just ignore the siren anyway.

I've fitted an immobiliser, so that takes care of it being driven away easily.

Seperately, I have fitted a remote central locking unit, off eBay for about a tenner, it is wired into the door unlock switch in the drivers door card and opens both doors nicely.

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 am

Vtecmec wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:09 am
Seperately, I have fitted a remote central locking unit, off eBay for about a tenner, it is wired into the door unlock switch in the drivers door card and opens both doors nicely.
How have you managed to do that; there isn't, as standard, a door motor in the driver's door, so the remote fob wouldn't be able to open the door as it'd need that motor? Or, was yours one of the lucky ones that had the motor fitted?
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”