Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
yorke58
My Generation: 5G

5th gen

Post by yorke58 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:11 pm

I've taken out the stereo in my 5th gen, im wanting a double din one. What is the best one for the car with bluetooth and gps. Not just gps mirroring and it will allow me to listen to music at same time.Do i need a fascia adapter?

Any help will be great as there's a load of Chinese stereos about.

Cheers

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

5th gen

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:31 pm

@norks27 @RattyMcClelland and @toadster have put double din units in their 5th gens so can hopefully help out with a bit of advice :D

norks27
Supporter 2016

5th gen

Post by norks27 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:52 pm

I'd recommend an Android Auto/Apple Car Play unit - there's a range to suit every budget if you go with one of the main manufacturers, e.g. Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine.

I know you said no GPS mirroring and I have a Kenwood unit in the Lude with built in SatNav and additional aerial, but, Android Auto is a better system, you're guaranteed up to date maps instead of having to buy expensive updates. Waze is an excellent navigation app with speed indication and camera warnings, etc.

You won't need an adapter just an inner surround as you can see in the pic.

Also a good unit will allow you to install a wee reversing cam to protect your lude arse :D

The Pioneer in the HR-V, (AVH-Z9100DAB), is an excellent unit without the fuss of the Kenwood which has a 'laggy' interface.

I can't say I know the eBay brands and there are alternatives to the route I took, e.g. tablet install...

One thing to be aware of is how many USB connections you need. Android Auto annoyingly doesn't allow you to access music stored on your phone, so I needed 2 USB inputs, one for a USB drive with music and another for the phone. If you use Spotify etc, then Android Auto will happily play.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

yorke58

5th gen

Post by yorke58 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm

With the android play systems can you listen to music and use GPS at same time? I've read a lot of them you cant use two apps at once. I've got a rear view cam ready to go. Front and rear parking sensors in too. Im also looking into a dash cam which attaches to the rear view mirror ' which acts as mirror and camera. That'll be as modern as I'l taking the car.

Cheers you're post has helped a lot.

norks27
Supporter 2016

5th gen

Post by norks27 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm

yorke58 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm
With the android play systems can you listen to music and use GPS at same time?
Yes - the Pioneer has two USB inputs, so whilst I play music from USB1, USB2 attaches to the phone and handles the android auto and navigation. Also within Android Auto you can use compatible music apps and navigate at the same time.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

5th gen

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:28 pm

The old double din I had was a McIntosh unit from a Subaru legacy. No sat Nav or anything. Just CD player and tape player and pure sq goodness.
However any double din just screw into the ludes radio bracket with 8 m8 screws. No cage needed. The bracket are universal was all radios. All radios have a standard screw position.

I now run a custom 8" samsung galaxy s2 tab in the centre console. Bigger than double din and has all the advantages of an Android system, portability and uses aptx Bluetooth with a Helix Psix dsp.

toadster

5th gen

Post by toadster » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:12 am

Lo :D
I have just fitted a new double din stereo but it hasn't got GPS as I use a Garmin satnav with built in dash cam and a reverse camera feature.
Only problem I have had with this one and My previous double din is the supplied stereo bezel is too high and had to be trimmed down top and bottom.
Cheers ;)
Toadster

yorke58

5th gen

Post by yorke58 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Cheers everybody. There's a few option to consider now. A tablet would be the better option as my galaxy tab 3 fits perfect but i wont be able to answer phone calls I think. Thinking of going with a stereo with a andriod device for screening mirroring, with a GPS with aerial, DAB+ with aerial so i have a lot of driving options.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”