Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Starting Issue - Auto Switch??

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Reg-93
My Generation: 5G

Post by Reg-93 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi All,
I hope you can all help a newbie out!

I have a starting issue with a H22 5th gen (auto > manual conversion), when attempting to start from the key there is no power to the starter solenoid.
I can use a remote start on the car and it fires up fine, so clearly the issue is with power to the solenoid.

The ignition switch is fine, tested the outputs with a multi meter and they all read as they should.
There is a power feed all the way to the starter relay and i have changed the relay without success.
The cable from the relay goes to the solenoid and that has continuity so there is no issue there.

I can't see it being an immo issue as i can start the car from under the bonnet, this leads me to think there is an issue with the auto-selector safety switch.
I have found a loose cable underneath the dash which is earthed to the chassis one end, i would presume this is meant to be part of the bypass for the safety device?

The only other option i have is to by pass it all completely and create a new loom :crazy: :crazy:

Thanks in advance!

firstlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by firstlude » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 pm

hello and welcome to the fold, firstly with regards to your problem has the auto to manual conversion only just been done or was the car running previous , as with all autos there would of been a starter inhibiter switch on the auto box most common thing to do with this is to wire it to a switch on the clutch pedal so you need to depress the clutch to get it to start , my thinking is this would be a good place to start your search .
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Reg-93
My Generation: 5G

Post by Reg-93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:20 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, the car was already converted and running fine (for several months)it just decided not to start one morning!
Never had to press the clutch to start the car previously so presume this one doesn't have that kind of system fitted.

firstlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by firstlude » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:02 pm

hi so you say you have power to the relay and cable from relay to starter is fine , you have replaced the relay in that case the relay cant be getting any power to trip it so you need to check for power on the low current side , you could try looping the high current side over cause if you got power in and cable to starter is good this should fire starter then you will no which circuit is the problem high or low current side .
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”