Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Beeping noise after I unlock the car?

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Post by chris_rd92 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:16 am

Hi guys, this might make me looks a bit stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have a 97 5th gen 2.2, and I hear a series of 5 beeps about 10-15 seconds (I think) after I unlock the car, or after switching the engine off. The red light on top of the steering column will also flash until I start the car. I'm assuming this is to do with the immobilizer?

This hasn't bothered me until now, as usually when I start the car, the light will go out, and if I do it before the beeps, then the beeps don't happen.

Now however, every so often, I'll get in, start the car, and as I'm driving off, I will hear those same 5 beeps. The red light on the column will also continue to flash.

This doesn't effect the way the car drives in any way, but it's annoying driving in the dark as I can see the light flashing! Lol. Is this something I should worry about? Am I a pleb for having to ask this? Who knows haha. Hope someone can shed some light on the subject!

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Not stupid for asking at all - as what you describe is an after market kit added to the vehicle.

The inbuilt immobiliser uses a transponder inside the rubber part of the key, and that's what the green key light is on the dash is for. You cannot hot wire a prelude 5th gen...

The flashing red light on the cowl has been added in afterwards, and is likely to be an alarm only, but could be an alarm/immobiliser which has been bypassed or partially removed.

Over time, the units either fail, or the job to fit them wasn't up to scratch, and you can end up on occasions where its set/not set , and generally get to the point where it annoys you (i've had it both ways, car wont start, car starts but alarm went off etc). On some honda models - this unit can replace the original central locking operation aswell. Make sure you have the original 2 button remote.

In both occasions, I ended up removing the aftermarket system entirely. There is no real value to the alarm system, and it shouldn't help with insurance because its probably not thatcham cat 2, and almost certainly doesn't have the certificate to prove it even if it was.

You should be able to identify the alarm module under the dash somewhere, gradually start removing it piece by piece. Most of the time, the lines will just be tee'd into existing parts of the loom, so your safe to start cutting it out and taping over. However, if it has an immobiliser circuit (you probably don't if you've had no trouble starting/driving), there may be 1 or 2 circuits which are actually broken into (and then immob connects to both ends of the cut existing loom) - those you would need to join back together. This could be the fuel pump relay or other essential component for starting/running.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”