Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen starting issue- battery, key or immobiliser??

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Ali355
My Generation: 5G

Post by Ali355 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Probably a common fault so apologies if this has been asked before but I’ve had an annoying starting issue rear it’s head.
Jumped in the car, went to start it, click, nothing. Green key light flashing. Tried again a couple of times, no joy. Disconnected the battery and went off to see if I had a spare key. Found a red and a grey. Knew not to go anywhere near the red, so tried they grey a couple of times. No joy. Tried the black again, same result. Just as I’m about to call it a day and jump in the wife’s car, I tried the grey a final time and it fired right up, no green flashing key light either. Ran it for ten mins, killed the engine and tried again. Same result as before, won’t start. Been that way for the rest of the day. So- what’s broken? The key, the immobiliser or my battery? Car is a 2000 2.2 vti auto. All advice gratefully recieved!

tobyslude

Post by tobyslude » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:40 pm

Ali355 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Probably a common fault so apologies if this has been asked before but I’ve had an annoying starting issue rear it’s head.
Jumped in the car, went to start it, click, nothing. Green key light flashing. Tried again a couple of times, no joy. Disconnected the battery and went off to see if I had a spare key. Found a red and a grey. Knew not to go anywhere near the red, so tried they grey a couple of times. No joy. Tried the black again, same result. Just as I’m about to call it a day and jump in the wife’s car, I tried the grey a final time and it fired right up, no green flashing key light either. Ran it for ten mins, killed the engine and tried again. Same result as before, won’t start. Been that way for the rest of the day. So- what’s broken? The key, the immobiliser or my battery? Car is a 2000 2.2 vti auto. All advice gratefully recieved!
Could be the ignition switch, common problem and in my case was a Honda recall. Although mine was intermittent and would just cut out whilst driving, wait a few mins and turn the key and it would start again

toadster

Post by toadster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 pm

tobyslude wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Ali355 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Could be the ignition switch, common problem and in my case was a Honda recall. Although mine was intermittent and would just cut out whilst driving, wait a few mins and turn the key and it would start again
Lo :D
Beat Me to it :D
I had the issue of My Lude cutting out whilst driving :o
Was a bit scary 😱
Fitted a new ignition switch and it's been great since :mrgreen:
Cheers ;)
Toadster

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:08 am

In my case it was the electronic "sensor" on the lock itself that picks up the immobiliser code from the key and sends it to the ECU.
I'm at work currently but I can send you a pic later in the afternoon. The part isnt sold seperately tho, it only comes with the whole lock assembly.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:12 am

I was about to say, flashing immob light when trying to crank means:

1) ignition switch is picking up the fact you are trying to crank - hence the flashing. i doubt your issue is in the ignition key switch.
2) flashing specifically means that the ECU cannot read the code from the key transponder, or isn't happy with the code.

If i use my valet key (key without transponder), then i get the key light flashing and no cranking. So that sounds the same as you.

This could be the pickup coil around the barrel, the key itself (unlikely unless covered in something), interference (any additions to the keyring/decoration etc?), wiring between key ECU and reading coil (i'd say unlikely).

put the seat back, pop your head under the dash, and try re seating the connectors for the pickup coil (it will be a disc shaped item around the ignition barrel). If its intermittent, the most obvious cause is a loose connection. I cant remember where the key ecu is, but its not too far away, and deffo under the drivers side dash.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Andyjess666

Post by Andyjess666 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:07 am

Didn't this come recently with soneone an it turned out to be a dodgy starter motor I start there mate

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Andyjess666 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:07 am
Didn't this come recently with soneone an it turned out to be a dodgy starter motor I start there mate
It is worth just giving the starter motor a good whacking with something solid and heavy (a big adjustable spanner works well!) - if the solenoid is sticking or the brushes are worn short/sticking, that will free it off and point you at the start motor.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”