Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Replacement battery terminals

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Long time no post...

This might be a stupid question but can anyone tell me where i can find the part number for a replacement negative battery terminal for my type s?

Or just point me towards an oem replacement i can buy online?

Or recommend a pair that are better than oem in the correct terminal size?

I've been out of the Honda game for a little while and i seem to have forgotten all my resources, i need to start thinking about resurrecting her!

Cheers
Max

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:15 pm

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partsca ... f/B__0600/

Part number for item 14 is 32600-S30-000

I did find this on eBay though...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252120346907

Max

Post by Max » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Thanks ek9sid much appreciated, and wow no wonder my car has some cheap crap installed these are really expensive, i may have to check my local breakers instead...

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 pm

You could probably just get a new terminal rather than a loom from somewhere like Halfords. Only issue would be getting the right size for the battery stud and also for the cable. Although, I would guess, that they're probably fairly universal.

https://www.halfords.com/search?q=Battery+terminal

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:18 pm

I have those exact ones on mine, they fit well.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:18 am

I wouldn't like to have to replace the neg terminal at all - the negative leads are crimped straight onto the connector.

Eitherway you're going to have to crimp ring terminals to the old loom or similar to use new terminals, and those crimping tools aren't cheap, and it needs to be a good job!

Which bit is broken on your current setup? It might be easier to buy a new battery connector, and then a couple of new earth leads already crimped up from halfords, that removes the issues of crimping yourself (they are normally hanging up near the batteries).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:17 am

Just make your own with 8awg wire and a standard battery terminal.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 am

Looking up 8awg, that's only good for 30amps continuous (3.2mm diameter), far too small for the main 2 neg earth leads (1 goes to the slam panel , 1 goes to the gearbox or starter housing (i assume, never looked lol).

Id say you need at least ~50amps capability to the slam panel, and beefier upto 200A to the starter (in reality, your only pulling ~200A on cranking for a few seconds , but headroom never hurt anyone).

The original earth lead is pretty thick to the slam panel, more like 4awg for both chassis and gbox earth.

I've never tried to crimp 4awg or above, but all i know is i'd fail and wouldn't be happy with it. It would either wiggle loose, or not be airtight to give longevity. There is a science to crimping, and most generic hand crimping tools are garbage, and barely suitable for lower grade terminals...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:00 pm

The 30amps for amp power transmission, for cranking and earth 8awg can handle alot more, closer to 70 iirc.

I do agree 4awg would be better suited.
I have 0awg throughout my car and I'm about to tear it all out and go 4awg simple because im using a single Class d amp instead of 4, class a/b and class a amps all of which were power hungry.

Max

Post by Max » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:09 pm

So for a bit more context at some point in the past someone changed the negative terminal for an aftermarket one, possibly as part of an earthing kit and for some engine bay bling as it has a number of aftermarket earth cables on it. One goes from the rocker cover to the strut top, another one splits off from the negative lead to the slam panel, and another from the negative lead to somewhere else i cant remember... The terminal has 3 cables connected to it, one is the main earth cable and the other two are aftermarket, its plated in some sort of gold material which is worn and flaking off in places, every now and then i have to remove the terminal and clean it up as there's all this white powder build up on it, im fairly sure this has been ongoing since i bought the car, i dont think the battery is at fault as its new last year so i figure as thats the only non standard terminal the issue is caused by whatever the terminal is made of causing some sort of electro chemical reaction creating all this build up, yesterday i removed at least a teaspoon of the stuff. On top of this the bolt that clamps the terminal down is a mess so needs replacing either way.

The main cable is fine its just the terminal i want to replace really, I'd rather go oem so the terminals match and i don't need to mess with the positive, but if there are good cheap alternatives that you can recommend i'll probably go with that, i just dont want to buy some super cheap ebay crap and end up with the same issue.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”