Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Obd2 scanner recommendations 5th gen

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
TazsLude
My Generation: 5G

Post by TazsLude » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 am

Good Morning companions

I was thinking of purchasing an obd2 scanner for my 5th gen can anyone recommend one that is really good and does as much as possible please? Also the temperature control lights don't work and if anyone can tell me where I should be looking to resolve this would be great help.

Tha k you for the help guys
I tried to look to see if there was a post about the scanner but I couldn't find anything in the forum

Thanks
Taz

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:19 pm

No need for a scanner with preludes, they have their own diagnostic machine built into the ECU, ABS, 4WS and Climate control systems.

If you get the manual in wiki on here, it'll run you through the process (it's a really easy task). Essentially you bridge an electrical plug located behind the radio unit and could flash's on the warning lights.

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:22 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:19 pm
No need for a scanner with preludes, they have their own diagnostic machine built into the ECU, ABS, 4WS and Climate control systems.

If you get the manual in wiki on here, it'll run you through the process (it's a really easy task). Essentially you bridge an electrical plug located behind the radio unit and could flash's on the warning lights.
Thank you for that Info Vtec
I don't usually have too much time due to other commitments etc so my time with the prelude us usually limited hence why I was asking about the recommendation as I would find it easier to plug and check it that way do you recommend any devices? Plus if I'm not here at home and then my Father can plug it and check for faults etc too.

Your help would be appreciated

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm not too up on 5th gens, but I do not think they have the standardised OBD port to accept a scanner in any case.

Brozilla

Post by Brozilla » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:38 pm
I'm not too up on 5th gens, but I do not think they have the standardised OBD port to accept a scanner in any case.
They do not, 5th gens are OBD2A, standard OBD ports are starting with OBD2B. However, Hondash can be used to scan codes even though I would recommend the method you mentioned.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Yep you don't need a scanner and there really isn't one per say for early OBD2 systems like 5th gens. The simple paper clip test on the blue connector behinds the passenger centre console trim and dash flashes will tell you what's wrong.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”