Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4th Gen electric wing mirrors

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
michaelmr2
My Generation: 4G

Post by michaelmr2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 am

Hi

Can anyone help, the motor in the passenger side electric wing mirror when folded in keeps on running even if the key is taken out of the ignition.
Does anyone know of a fix for this fault?
The car battery was dead before this started happening, the drivers side works correctly.

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:45 am

most likely the motor inside the mirror is broken or cracked, best (if possible) take it apart and have a look
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:30 pm

From what i recall having dismantled and rebuilt my 5th gen electric folding mirrors is that you will not be able to fix it without taking it apart.

This is assuming that it is factory wiring using the factory module (each open and close action should power the relays for only 20~30 seconds). There is a physical switching mechanism within the mirror mech to 'turn off' the motor. This is what should happen:

1) Command mirrors to open
2) relay in car clicks
3) mirrors whir for 5 seconds
4) mirrors stop whirring at the extreme of travel (either open or close, 5th gen is a toggle)
5) 15/20 seconds later you should hear a relay click off.

To inspect, If its anything like a 5th gen:

Remove cheater panel
Unbolt wing mirror from car, unplug connector
dismantle on bench
Look for the electrical contact ring on top of the 'axle' on which the mirror pivots. This is what 'disconnects' the motor from the power at the extreme of its travel.

It is a rather crude setup. A disc with metallic tracks turns along with the mirror movement. When it reaches the extreme of its travel, the metallic tracks end or bridge a diode (preventing over winding or slipping, and then only allowing movement when power is applied in reverse to open them and vice versa).

Once its apart, it should be obvious that either the ring is either no longer fixed to the mechanism, or some other fault is apparent.

I cannot recall if you will need to dismantle the big spring part (this is the mechanism that allows you to push open and close the mirror regardless of whether the motor works), if you do, use extreme caution! I used 2 sockets and a vice to compress the mech to remove the circlip. The spring is stiffer than a valve spring. If you are not careful, the slipping part of the mechanism, all your tiny ball bearings will fly everywhere. You have been warned!

Can't imagine the 4th gen is that different to my experience with the 5th Gen (although i wait to be corrected!)
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”