Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Front Wipers

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Hagland-BB4
My Generation: 4G

Front Wipers

Post by Hagland-BB4 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:23 pm

My wipers work and dont work, this is what happens:
1st turn on the stalk (INT) doesn't work
2nd and 3rd turn (speed 1 and 2) Does work
Push down on stalk works but wipers stop when ever I let go, same goes if I have speed 2 or 3 on and turn it off, the wipers stop where they are.
This is all happening without the wiper relay on the bulk head being plugged in because if i plug it in the wipers come on and stay on.

I have changed the stalk on the steering column and tried another relay but nothing makes a difference, could the wiper motor cause this???
Many thanks
Now
1994 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB4 SI VTEC LSD (Sebring Silver - NH552M)
1996 Prelude 2.2 - UKDM BB1 VTEC (Milano Red - R81)
1993 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB1 SI VTEC (Sebring Silver - NH552M)

Then
1996 Prelude 2.2 - UKDM BB1 VTEC (Championship Whte - NH0)
1995 Prelude 2.2 - UKDM BB1 (Phantom Grey - NH561P)
1995 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB4 SI VTEC LSD (Granada Black - NH503P)
1995 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB1 4WS (Sebring Silver - NH552M)

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Front Wipers

Post by Scott560 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 pm

I haven't taken a prelude one apart, but yes.

For the intermittent function to work, the wiper has to know when its home. inside the motor mech will be a metallic track which joins/brakes when the wiper is home/out of home (I dont know which way around this is).

This part of the mech is most likely faulty, which is why when the relay is present, the wiper never thinks it's home, so it just keeps on going (to park), but it never thinks it gets there hence the continous operation.

It could either be mechanism in the wiper, or wiring to the relay which is faulty. Without looking at the schematic, I would:

1) leave the relay out
2) fire the wiper onto continuous and leave it there (blades off the screen of course).
3) Whatever wires you have going into the wiper mech, 1 should be grounded permanently, the other should have +12v. These aren't the wires you are interested in.
4) Whatever other wires you then have left over (suspect its a 3 pin plug, so hopefully just 1 left over), you should be able to detect a make/break connection when the wiper is home. This might be hard on a digital multimeter - you may need to use it in continuity mode so you hear a beep quicker than the display refreshes. I'm not sure if its continuity is to ground or to 12v, but you get the idea.
5) If you can sense the 'home' signal on one of the wires as the wiper passes its home point, then the mech and track/contact is fine, and the problem is in the wiring to the relay, or the relay itself. If you cannot detect the signal from the wiper mech that it's home - then its likely to be the mechanism built into the motor gearbox bit.

Its unusual for these kind of mechs to break completely. If you have to whip the motor off to replace it, its not much extra effort to take it apart and inspect it. Most likely to be corrosion on the contacts preventing it from sensing its home. You might get away with a very light emery cloth action on the tracks, clean off with alcohol and grease up with dielectric grease and put back together. If the tracks are too far gone then you'll need to replace it.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”