Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

UKDM rear fog light switch and relay into Type S?

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi All,

I realise this is nit picking but I really don't like the crappy aftermarket fog light switch in my Type S, its not the most hideous switch I've ever seen in an import but i would like to make it factory if possible. Currently its just a simple rocker switch and appears to be hooked up is the most simple way possible, there are 3 wires going to the switch, one is a positive feed spliced off the front fog light pigtail (headlights on switched positive) the second positive runs off to the fog light in the rear and the third one is the earth grounded to a bolt behind the switch panel. The fog light itself is then grounded in the boot.

Initially thought ill just use the existing wires to the switch and take the illumination feed off the front fog light pigtail and it should work, so i took a multimeter did a bit of testing to figure out what's what and then it dawned on me that I will need a relay to make the factory rear fog light switch work correctly...

Searching around on google I find a lot of noise and nothing that fits with my scenario, nor can i find a wiring diagram for the UKDM rear fog, even the american 5th gen manual doesn't have anything about rear fog lights in it let alone a wiring diagram :(

I'm not the most savvy when it comes to electrical work but i can follow a diagram and solder stuff... I have had a look and it seems like the front fogs use a relay which in the under dash fuse panel as i can hear it clicking when i stick my head under there. Can anyone advise me on which relay i need for the rear fog light and how to wire it up?

Currently i have the switch and pigtail and im kicking myself that i didn't take the relay out of the UKDM car i was stripping parts out of :facepalm:

Perhaps im going down a rabbit hole that just isn't worth the effort but any advise would be welcome :)

Bloody OCD strikes again :lol:

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm

im not sure you need a relay for the rear fog (on a 4th gen) i dont have one on mine but to confuse matters im in process of fitting front fog lights and the oem set up has a relay and short loom that hooks up to a connector near the interior fuse box
i normally need help with electrical stuff and like youve found out there is little info in the manual for 4th or 5th gen fog lights
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Max

Post by Max » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:46 pm

The rear fog light switch pigtail has 5 wires coming from it, same as the front fog light switch, the wires are different colours between the 2 but based on that it seems logical that the rear would need a relay even though its just one light that doesn't really need that much power. I have tested the behavior of the rear fog light switch and there is continuity between 2 pairs of wires when the button is pressed but its immediately lost as soon as you let go of the switch which makes me think this must need a relay.

If there is somewhere i could get the UKDM 5th gen manual from im sure the wiring diagrams would provide clarity but all i can find is the damn american one grrrrrrrrrr :evil:

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:13 pm

Just get another fog light switch from another prelude and use that. That's what I did. Only 2 wires to connect, job done. Looks completely OEM. Problem is no I have no clue which is which so I have to put both on and see which is which from the driver's seat.

Max

Post by Max » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:42 pm

The whole point was to wire it in so it looks and works like it would from factory ie the switch lights up when the headlights are on, and then lights up with the relevant colour light when you switch it on (orange for the rear fog, green for the front fog). So I have the correct rear fog light switch from another prelude and the pigtail but I think it needs the relay to make it do all of that which I don't think ill achieve unless I can find another breaker and pull all the relevant wiring out...

yorke58

Post by yorke58 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:09 pm

Did this get sorted. I'm in the same boat. I've got a fog light switch from a scraper and turned it upside and removed the plastic that stops you from doing this. I can tell which is rear and which is front. Just can't find a wiring diagram of the rear fog light cables to marry up to the front.

Max

Post by Max » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:48 pm

No i didnt sort this its kind of low priority atm, i think best bet is to find a scrapper and pull the whole wiring assembly out with the relay etc

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”