Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5g not starting. No crank. FIXED

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Drax
My Generation: 4G

5g not starting. No crank. FIXED

Post by Drax » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:58 pm

As titled. Only thing that seems to go at the ignition attempt is the fuel pump that you can hear, nothing else at all.

I thought at first the immobilizer is playing up, but the green key light comes on at position 2, then goes off after a few seconds and won't come on again until position one where it flashes for a few seconds then goes off - an I right now thinking that's all correct? So shouldn't be this affecting it.

I get no crank at all. Battery has tested fine. Won't be dizzy as it's not even cranking. I've checked the fuses 2 & 4 under the dash plus the radio fuse top middle of the under bonnet one. I've checked all the earth's are good.
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

5g not starting. No crank

Post by Scott560 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Not an auto is it? The microswitch in the shifter can sometimes cause it not to report its in park...

Ignition barrel can wear out but i'm sure you have shimmied it.

Do you hear a relay click (probably hard to tell). Is there any kind of aftermarket alarm system or even honda system? They normally suck after 20 years and just need straight removing lol.

Worth checking the tiny spade terminal on the starter motor hasn't rusted off. Seen a few old hondas where the spade terminal is ripped off and the solenoid wire is jerry rigged onto the solenoid (either broken off or rusted off).

You can easily run a hot jumper wire from battery positive to solenoid terminal with ignition on to rule out if everything else is OK assuming not in gear :)
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Drax

Post by Drax » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Not an auto.

Shim the ignition barrel?

The only thing I hear is the fuel pump prime on turn 2 then again at ignition attempt.

Alarm system was ripped out when I bought it earlier in the year, was the first job before when attempting to fix it lol

I've already checked the spade terminal in the starter as that's a common one on the 4g too.
FOR PAUL

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Shimmy the ignition barrel, to check its not the issue? Normally however they burn out on the main ignition current carrying circuit, not the starter position (although once it gets melty in there its anyones guess).

If the car hasn't been used for a while , the solenoid can sometimes get stuck. Whilst an assistant keeps the key turned and held in crank mode, a percussive tap to the solenoid/starter with a small hammer might free it up. Any recent moisture or liquid without use tends to stick them in the off position needing a helping hand....

You can rule out any of the car side of things by running a quick jumper wire from battery positive to the mini spade. If the starter is good and the earth strap to the gearbox is good, it should spin right up. Careful not to arc it on anything in the dark whilst prodding around with an unfused jumper wire (been there, done that!).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Drax

Post by Drax » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Not sure what you mean by shimmy the ignition barrel sorry?

I replaced the ignition switch when I bought it as it was 50-50 on whether it worked, but the replacement may have gone I suppose, only been about 8 months ago when I swapped it :?

The car is used regularly, pretty much every day.

I'll try the jumper wire when I get chance, cheers!
FOR PAUL

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:16 pm

It does sound like it might be an earth thing, especially if you can't hear a click from the starter itself trying to engage.
Might it be worth putting a meter across the battery to see if there's a current draw when turning the key?
International Pensioner of Mystery

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:37 am

I had a strange no crank once on a Clio. It only became obvious once we tried to bump start it, the engine was hydrolocked from a blown HG. Overnight the cylinder filled up with coolant and it was locked solid. Removing the plugs confirmed it.

By shimmy I meant wiggle it. I have a funny feeling I sent you the ignition switch, it should be fine as I had no worries about that part.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:41 am

When my car did this it was the battery that was at fault. Despite it testing 12.5v, half the cells had failed and it wouldn't even turn on relays. Swapped the battery and voila. It was a deep cycle AGM battery however.

Drax

Post by Drax » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Sailor wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:16 pm
It does sound like it might be an earth thing, especially if you can't hear a click from the starter itself trying to engage.
Might it be worth putting a meter across the battery to see if there's a current draw when turning the key?
I'll try that but I've double checked at the earth's are ok
Scott560 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:37 am
I had a strange no crank once on a Clio. It only became obvious once we tried to bump start it, the engine was hydrolocked from a blown HG. Overnight the cylinder filled up with coolant and it was locked solid. Removing the plugs confirmed it.

By shimmy I meant wiggle it. I have a funny feeling I sent you the ignition switch, it should be fine as I had no worries about that part.
I'll check the plugs and give the key a wiggle cheers
RattyMcClelland wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:41 am
When my car did this it was the battery that was at fault. Despite it testing 12.5v, half the cells had failed and it wouldn't even turn on relays. Swapped the battery and voila. It was a deep cycle AGM battery however.
I thought the same last night so tried to jump start it using the Mazda & jump leads but it made no difference. Is it worth trying a rolling jump start do you think?
FOR PAUL

Drax

Post by Drax » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Scott560 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm
a percussive tap to the solenoid/starter with a small hammer might free it up
well she's alive again. in the end i needed the above, a Clarkson way of fixing a car
a hammer with a long sturdy piece of wood to be exact. looks like the starter had stuck - even though we use it pretty much every day but hey ho. new one to be ordered, but ive left the wood & hammer in the boot for now :thumbup:
FOR PAUL

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”