Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Dashcam Radio Interference

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

So this has been driving me absolutely made today. I've been trying to fit a front and rear dashcam to my 5th gen BB8, but no matter how I fit it, my DAB radio reception goes out the window. I know that the radio antenna is built into the rear window, meaning the wire for it must run up the A-pillar, but it seems that no matter where I run the wire the result is the same. I've tried both pillars, as well as mounting the camera low down and running the cable behind the dash, but no joy. I've also tried loads of those ferrite core things on the wire, but they do absolutely sod all too. This is all before even trying to fit the rear one!

So I'm at a loss, is it the camera? It's fairly new, just a generic one from amazon. Or are Ludes just not destined to have dashcams fitted? I'll have to do without if I can't get it to work as I need my radio!

Cheers
Chris

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:04 pm

talking of dashcams, i had a Nextbase 50 for years until it turned out to be draining the battery so much (clearly faulty) that it wouldnt start the car until i removed it. i tried this in two cars, my 5g and my Passat and it affected both.

just my 10p to say dashcams can mess up a car :shock:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 pm

In my last job I had a van with oem dab. It worked as you'd expect until I started replacing the tail lights with led numbers. Then, as you're describing, the signal started going to jobby. I'm guessing that any amount of electrical noise near the antenna/s (the van had 2, one front and one rear) for the dab seem to throw the signal to whack.

I winder if a similar thing is happening with yours. Do you know where your dab antenna is? As you can get the stick on window ones. I'm not sure if the oe antenna can be converted though.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:45 am

If you are using a DAB radio - the rear window element shouldn't work. As far as i understand it, the FM frequency that the rear element/amp is tuned for is no where near high enough for the DAB spectrum (think FM is 80-100mhz, dab is 200+).

You should have a separate DAB aerial fitted, I have a small sticker on in the front windscreen.

I have also had interference to the radio signal with poor HT leads, and a particular Tom Tom charger. You could try using a high quality charger or wiring the charger into a different place away from the radio.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”