Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Wiring Steering Wheel Control

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:09 pm

Hi all,

Hope you and your Ludes are all well, it's been a while!

Recently I've been looking for a double din stereo to put in the Lude, but I haven't been able to find a decent branded one with physical controls and a volume knob that doesn't break the bank.

As a compromise I decided to see if I could fit some steering wheel controls from another car with a touch control stereo.

Speaking purely theoretically (and definitely not after I've bought all the bits I need to see if it works), if I was to retrofit steering controls and wanted it to be as OEM as possible, I'd need to wire it through the cable reel.

Fortunately on my 5th gen, the cruise control is separate to the SRS, it goes through the cable reel, but goes in and out on its own loom, so I think I can modify that without touching the SRS loom (which I'm not comfortable doing).

After some research I've bought the controls out of an old Discovery 2, these work by applying different resistance values for each function.
I've also tested the cruise control switch, that works on continuity, so resistance goes to 0 when you press the switch, or it's infinite.

So in theory, because the stereo controls work in a limited range of resistance, and the cruise control is 0 or infinite, they will never interact with each other and I can tap the stereo controls into the cruise control switch and out the loom under the dash.

For extra redundancy I'd wire it into the set switch so that if the steering controls ever triggered the cruise control, it would set the current speed instead of accelerating to the previous set speed.

Anyone tried anything like this before and can give me any advice or tell me I'm even remotely on the right track? If it definitively won't work I'd rather know now before I start adapting the loom!

Thanks!
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:53 pm

Have you checked this thread out?

Accord Steering wheel control + bondage BDSM

Jackson Bondy
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:51 am

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:53 pm
Have you checked this thread out?

Accord Steering wheel control + bondage BDSM
That thread was the one that originally gave me the idea, but there were a few reasons that I didn't want to go down that route, mainly that I like the original wheel, am not a huge fan of the feel of the Accord's buttons and don't want to modify anything SRS related.

At the moment I'm stumped on how to get the controls working with a stereo, I know normally you can get a harness adapter, but since the Lude doesn't have steering wheel controls I'm not sure how to wire it all up.
I picked up a SPH-DA360DAB yesterday and initially I like it a lot, although annoyingly it looks like Pioneer enable the option to use a 3.5mm jack with resistive controls on their units in the Australian market, but not here, so I'm going to get in touch with them and see if they can make any recommendations.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”