Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Horn, airbag and cruise control

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
jdeale84
My Generation: 5G

Post by jdeale84 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:15 pm

Hi all, so I'm having an issue with the electrics in my steering wheel. A while ago I took off the steering wheel to try and put on a new one but it didn't fit. In the process I broke the clock spring. So i ordered a new one and it arrived and after putting it in and triple checking every contact point, the horn and cruise control remained to not work and the airbag SRSs light remained on the dash. Anyone have any idea how to get around this? Or if there's something I'm missing?
Many thanks

jdeale84

Post by jdeale84 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:02 am

Turns out I got sent a faulty part, the garage used a multimeter to see if a current was going through the clock spring and there was none. Looks like I'll be getting them to send me another then.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:47 pm

I have a spare one for a 5th gen in case they cannot get you one. be careful to make sure its centred along with the shaft/wheels otherwise it will get busted again.

The other issue with cruise control is that over time, the switches on the brake and clutch pedal get worn out a little bit, or the plastic stopper on the pedal crumbles away. My switches tested ok on the multimeter for continuity, but resistance was too high to actually satisfy the cruise module. If you get intermittent operation or it just refuses to work, spray some electrical contact cleaner right up into the plunger of the switches and in any crevice and actuate it several times. I performed all the tests in the manual on my back upside down under the dash, probing the pinout of the cruise ECU, only for all tests to pass and it still not work. bit of spray fixed it in the end.

Waste of time though - i never use the cruise control as I find its mechanism quite rudimentary and it leads to a bit of jerkiness, easier to drive manually. I'm sure greasing up the cable/actuator and picot points would probably help...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”