Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

SRS light

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
jdeale84
My Generation: 5G

SRS light

Post by jdeale84 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:55 pm

Hi all, so I'm back again with the clock spring problem. Last time I replaced it, I realized I got sent a faulty clock spring so of course it was never going to work. Since then I have finally got round to buying anther one but still am having no luck. Nothing on the steering wheel in working and the SRS light is still on. I have however got some codes to share with you all. The SRS light flashed 1 long and then 1 short. After that it flashed 1 long and 4 short. If anyone knows what these codes mean please share them. For reference, before I accidently snapped the old clock spring, everything including the horn and cruise control worked fine.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

SRS light

Post by Vtecmec » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:08 am

If nothing seems to be working through the clock spring then it is likely that the replacement is faulty.

Have you checked for continuity through it?

I'd be diagnosing this by checking the resistance at the plug to see if it's what it should be, for example does the horn circuit complete when you press it?

Drax

SRS light

Post by Drax » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:23 am

have you tried resetting the SRS light?

guide here;
kb/viewarticle?a=9

your blink codes interpret as long blink = 10, short blink = 1, so from that your codes are;
code 11 shows as "Open in the driverside air bag inflator"
code 14 shows as "14 Short to ground in the driverside air bag inflator"
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

SRS light

Post by Vtecmec » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:53 am

jdeale84 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:55 pm
Nothing on the steering wheel in working and the SRS light is still on.

jdeale84

SRS light

Post by jdeale84 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:13 pm

I've just checked continuity through the clock spring and its all got current through it. But the horn on the other end doesn't... so the controls are all getting current too them but not coming out the other end? Maybe its because of the error code 14 and that the current is being grounded? I'm not sure about all this electricity stuff

Scott560

SRS light

Post by Scott560 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:23 pm

If your not too confident on electrics, do be careful with the airbag.

Please disconnect it before you start probing or testing, incase it goes off unexpectedly causing injury.

You should be able to test the clock spring in insolation before fitting to the car. You want to check that each pin has continuity to the matching pin on the other side. I think you have 5 or 6 connections in total. If they all work it's not the clock spring. Be sure that your road wheels are centered, and gently check the clock spring is in the middle of its rotational travel before refitting to save any more breakages (I'm sure you already know this since one has already been broken).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

jdeale84

SRS light

Post by jdeale84 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:23 pm

I'm having trouble resetting it, it is being very uncoperative :cry:
I'm hoping once I do, the issues will go away since it was the clock spring that was the problem.
I'm just confused since if the clock spring is working (due to my continuity test) how come the cruise control and horn have stopped working.
Is it related to the SRS light?

Scott560

SRS light

Post by Scott560 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:49 am

Resetting the SRS light will not fix cruise control or horn issues.

If the SRS will not reset, its likely that the codes are 'live' , eg, they come back straight away. Are you still getting 1-1 and 1-4 ?

If so it sounds like something is accidently shorted - I can't imagine how, but are there any cables trapped or pinched? Does it look like any wires are modified further towards the car? Has anyone else been messing around with it, perhaps modifying some of the existing wires for some reason? What caused the issue to start out of interest?

It's worth removing and checking the clock spring again. I'm sure you realise that when you fit them, you have to make sure they are centered? And by centered I don't just mean the roadwheels on the car are centered and the spring is in the right place, but the clockspring is in the middle of its complete travel left to right. You have to gently, by hand, with it off the car, spin it with 1 finger to the extremities left and right, and count the turns, then put it back to the middle (counting the turns), so that the internals will not be broken when you next turn the steering wheel full lock (I'm sure you know this but not everyone does).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

jdeale84

SRS light

Post by jdeale84 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:22 am

I haven't managed to fully reset it yet, gonna give it another go today, but the clock spring is fine, I made sure to center it before putting it in the car and all the wires have passed the continuity test. When I reset it, if the codes come back then I'm not sure what to do because when i follow the wires, they just go deeper into the wire harness. All the fuses are okay. Maybe I've got a faulty airbag? This all began when I took off my original clock spring and when I put it back on, I didn't center it and snapped. My mate then tried to solder it back together but to be honest I think he might have crossed some connections which may have fried some wires somewhere? because the horn was going off when it shouldn't at some points.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

SRS light

Post by Merlin » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:32 am

Have you had a read of the SRS troubleshooting section of the 5th gen service manual?
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”