Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Cigarette lighter

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Cigarette lighter

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:41 pm

My CarPC screen is currently taking it's power from the cigarette lighter, which is all tucked away behind the center console.

I'd like to return the cigarette lighter back to it's little socket so it can be used to charge other things, but I need power for the CarPC screen. Can I tap in to the cigarette lighter wires just before it turns in to the connector and wire the screen in to that? Or perhaps wire two cigarette lighter sockets in to the one wire, one for the screen and the other to fix back in to the console?

Would this cause electrical problems if they're both being used?

Cheers,
Jay
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Ammo
Admin | Spammer Assassin

Post by Ammo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I ran my screen off the carPC psu

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Ammo wrote:I ran my screen off the carPC psu
You got any more info on that? :)

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah, you'll probably find you're getting a lot of electrical interference running from the cars 12v.

What you need to do is tap into the yellow wire from a molex on the PSU, and use the black wire adjacent to it as ground.

Simples

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Gayno wrote:Yeah, you'll probably find you're getting a lot of electrical interference running from the cars 12v.

What you need to do is tap into the yellow wire from a molex on the PSU, and use the black wire adjacent to it as ground.

Simples
Hi Gayno. Yes, unfortunately I am. The plan was originally to run it from the PSU but I never looked in to it further. I had a look at 4P connector pins earlier and it's just 2 +ve and 2 GND, so simple enough! The plan is to move the PC cables from running along the side of the interior to running through the center console, I'll run another 2 cables for the screen at the same time.

Cheers! Jay.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”