Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4th Gen Climate Control

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
4th Gen Doug
Supporter 2014
My Generation: 4G

4th Gen Climate Control

Post by 4th Gen Doug » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Bit of a big ask I know - but does anyone know what ALL of the components are for the 4th Gen climate control system are? (or at least all the bits I need to get it working!)

I'm guessing you would have:
  • * Digital Climate Control.. erm.. controller?
    * Sensors
    * ?
    * ?
What else you would need to install climate control into a 4th Gen without it, is a complete mystery!

There's a 'Digital Climate complete setup' for sale on ebay for £80 at the moment, but I don't think the guy knows what he has to remove to make it a 'complete setup'..

Any help would be really appreciated - and I will post a complete installation guide up on here if I get it! ;)
Cheers!

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

pretty sure you will need the dash loom as well
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 am

Where the original 4th gen heater controls connect to the heater pipe (to divert the hot water), that valve is now a vacuum activated valve which is controlled by a solenoid that is also connected to the intake chamber (a vacuum line) instead of the valve just being controlled by a long piece of wire :P

So there's the loom, the solenoid, the hosing for it, and probably the hot water valve, not forgetting all the bits inside the car.

Also, where the solenoid that controls the heater sits on the firewall, there is already a solenoid on non-digital-control units. I can't remember what it does now, but that'll either need to be moved or removed. You'll need a vacuum line for the climate control anyway.

I wouldn't take this as gospel, I've never had to do the conversion, but it's what I found out when trying to work out my vacuum lines (and why I seemed to be missing a bit!).
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

4th Gen Doug
Supporter 2014

Post by 4th Gen Doug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Cheers JayJay, you're a legend - Have some rep points!

From what I've managed to glean from the interwebz so far is this:
  • Climate control unit with harness.
  • Air mix control motor. This is under the blower unit. (not the blower motor)
  • In-car temperature sensor. On the right of the Climate Control Unit, it's a little square vent thing.
  • Outside air temperature sensor. The little sensor that is attached in front of the radiator.
  • Sunlight sensor. On top of the dash near the windshield, it's a little square thing..
  • Evaporator temperature sensor. This on is in the evaporator unit, where our A/C thermostat is.
  • Heater Core Temperature Sensor. It is at the bottom of the heater unit, right under the heater core.
  • Power transistor. This is on the blower unit. It's what replaces the blower resistor on the USDM car.
Now - this list does not include the A/C compressor, evaporator or any of the A/C components listed in the manual, can you run climate control without Air Conditioning?? Does anyone have this configuration in their 4th Gen?
Cheers guys!

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”