Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

300mm Front Discs for 4th gens - mtec group buy

Where there is quantity, there is discount!
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

300mm Front Discs for 4th gens - mtec group buy

Post by wurlycorner » Thu May 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Right, loosely mentioned this before and it generated some interest, so its time to start getting a dedicated thread for it.

I've been in contact with mtec about 300mm discs that will come pre-drilled for 4th gen 4 stud patterns.

I originally contacted them direct about buying a set for myself and they said they would supply, for an extra £25.
You could get the re-drilling done locally and possibly for slightly less (or do it yourself) but it saves the hassle, chances of it not being done quite spot on and throwing balance out etc. so for me, it's worth it.

The discs will be these ones;
http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/h ... c1028.html

Which are available in either;
Drilled Grooved
Dimple Grooved
Grooved Only
Drilled Only
And have these specs;
1 pair of discs
Vented - Diameter: 300.0
Thickness: 25.0
Minimum Thickness: 23.0
Height: 47.0
Bore Diameter: 64.0
Studs: 5
Location Studs: 4
Designed to fit these cars;
Civic 2.0 Type-R(EP3)10|01-09|05 Front Brake Discs
Civic 2.0i Type-R(FN2) 03|07-06|11 Front Brake Discs
CR-V 2.0i-VTEC(RD87|RD88)12|01-10|06 Front Brake Discs
CR-V 2.2i CTDi(RD97)03|05-10|06 Front Brake Discs
According to posts on the forum, these specs are the correct ones to be a direct bolt on 300mm disc for the front of 4th gens to use with ATR caliper carriers (except for the no. of studs).

I enquired if they would be able to offer a discount for a group buy and they've indicated that they will, but not confirmed the price yet - they'll need to see what sort of quantity we're talking about.

On their website, they retail at £73.99 with free shipping
On their ebay store, they retail at £69.99 with free shipping
So worst case would be £69.99 + £25 = £94.99 for a pair of discs, ready to roll. Obviously we're looking for an improvement over that though.

So, if interested please copy/paste and add your name to the list below and I'll get back to them with confirmed numbers and then come back with price;

1. wurlycorner - 1 set, drilled/grooved.

106pete

Post by 106pete » Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Atr disk are 28mm I believe also disk are so easy to drill it's really not worth paying £25 extra is it? You only need to drill 3 holes!
236bhp and 170ft/lb stock :whistle:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu May 15, 2014 3:21 pm

106pete wrote:Atr disk are 28mm I believe
Correct. But prelude discs are 23mm and ATR calipers work fine on them. Also ATR discs are 70mm bore whereas preludes are only 64mm. These are 64mm bore.
I'm sure it's EP3 CTR discs that I've read several people on here say they fitted with ATR calipers/carriers.
106pete wrote:disk are so easy to drill it's really not worth paying £25 extra is it? You only need to drill 3 holes!
Like I said, that's for people to decide.
Personally, I have more than enough jobby to do on my cars, so if I can get a pair of discs straight out of the box and whack them on the car without faffing about and potentially throwing the balance of the disc out by re-drilling slightly wrong or them not locating exactly 'square' on the hub due to the bore size being larger, then it's worth it to me.

(Also £25 is not the group buy price...)
Last edited by wurlycorner on Thu May 15, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 pm

@GreenyUK has just fitted 300mm discs to his 4th gen, I think he used Civic Type-R discs and calipers.. I'm sure he will confirm/deny this :)

Nice idea @wurlycorner, no good for me though as I only have standard 'Lude calipers.

106pete

Post by 106pete » Thu May 15, 2014 3:40 pm

I can confirm greeny has just fitted them as it was my old set up, I thought if you wanted the prelude hub dia and 28x300 disk then legend were the right fit but still needed drilling?

If mtec are adjusting specs for you then could they make pretty much what ever you like? I'm sure the £25 is just to cover the time it takes to tweak the Cnc settings, maybe worth trying for the thicker size while there at it?
236bhp and 170ft/lb stock :whistle:

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Thu May 15, 2014 3:42 pm

If that is possible would be good. I had a noticeable amount of pedal travel before a bite on the 23mm prelude discs. Nothing scary, but would be nice if it was easy to remove.

Not that I'll be needing discs for a Prelude :?
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Thu May 15, 2014 3:48 pm

106pete wrote:I can confirm greeny has just fitted them as it was my old set up, I thought if you wanted the prelude hub dia and 28x300 disk then legend were the right fit but still needed drilling?

If mtec are adjusting specs for you then could they make pretty much what ever you like? I'm sure the £25 is just to cover the time it takes to tweak the Cnc settings, maybe worth trying for the thicker size while there at it?
Not that I'll need them, but this /\ for the rest of you - get them thicker if they can do it. I'd have loved some 28mm discs on my Legend setup to reduce the pedal travel slightly.

CrunchyAdams82

Post by CrunchyAdams82 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Yep, I will put my name down for these if they can be exactly the same size as the ATR discs, as I will be investing in a set of ATR calipers & carriers.

So effectively, I want the ATR setup but with a set of uprated discs to suit..
Profile Thread
Andy's Si VTEC BB4
K30DPC wrote:If you wanna go there is nothing to stop you. ONE LIFE LIVE IT

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Thu May 15, 2014 4:27 pm

indigolemon wrote:If that is possible would be good. I had a noticeable amount of pedal travel before a bite on the 23mm prelude discs. Nothing scary, but would be nice if it was easy to remove.

Not that I'll be needing discs for a Prelude :?
You used standard prelude carriers didn't you? Shouldn't have suffered any pedal travel as the carrier is only designed for 23mm discs meaning the caliper is spaced correctly for that size disc, 28mm ones would have been far to thick, all standard prelude carriers are 23t, the atr ones are marked 28t.

23t = 23mm discs
28t - 28mm discs

Anyone using atr calipers/carriers needs 28mm discs
Anyone using atr calipers/prelude carriers needs 23mm discs

GreenyUK
Supporter 2014

Post by GreenyUK » Thu May 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Yes in dead I am running civic ep3 type r calipers and discs every thing is a direct bolt on calipers are much much lighter and smaller. The stopping power is great! Tons better and I'm still on standard disc and pads for now.

Personally the price would have to be a lot cheaper, as I can pick up dimpled and grooved discs for around £70 then drill myself.
If they are cheap enough then yeah I would be interested as it would just save me abit of time.

:mrgreen:
Donald wrote:I think the best bet is to probably all try to enter together.

Return to “Group Buys”