Congratulations to Greg for winning February's Lude Of The Month, with his face-lift BA4 >>> Click Here For Profile <<<
Image

Another cautionary tale

Post Reply
User avatar
Sailor
Supporter 2016
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:36 pm
My Generation: 5G
Location: Hampshire
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by Sailor » Tue May 07, 2019 6:50 pm

There was a car wash near us that changed hands a three or four years ago. The new owners invested £100,000+ and we finally had somewhere we could trust when short of the time needed for a proper hand wash. I used it perhaps twice a year.

It changed hands again last year. I tried it again; it was fine.

But now I've learned how to get a rear windscreen wiper this shape:-

Image


You have to break something:-

Image


And there's collateral damage:-

Image

Image


The wiper had been caught by the 'fronds' on the large horizontal roller, torn off and wrapped around the drum. Luckily, there was no vehicle behind me: I'd hate to think what its paint would have looked like after being washed by a steel wiper arm.

I still don't know how the Integra's glass survived when the die-cast boss was pull hard enough to tear.
International Pensioner of Mystery

User avatar
toadster
Posts: 1275
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 pm
My Generation: 5G
Location: Bedford
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by toadster » Tue May 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Lo :shock:
Glad You didn't get any more damage :o
Cheers ;)
Toadster
Image

User avatar
Drax
Supporter 2014
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:05 pm
My Generation: 4G
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by Drax » Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 pm

ive never trusted any drive-through car wash, only a hand wash & pressure washer if on the rare occasion i dont have time at home with my own. gutted to see this though Sailor :(
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
Image
FOR PAUL

User avatar
tom023
Supporter 2016
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:45 pm
My Generation: 5G
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by tom023 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 am

That's terrible Sailor, is the car wash going to take responsibility for the damages?

User avatar
vanzep
Supporter 2016
Posts: 5870
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:38 pm
My Generation: 4G
Location: Edinburgh
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by vanzep » Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am

yeah thats sad to see - ive always avoided car washes since i lost a wind deflector off the lude going thru one.
i think most if not all the drive thru car washes have a notice up saying its at your own risk so doubt they will pay up unless there has been a malfunction with the machine.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000 on > 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD Manual - Sold 2019
+
2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD&TCS Manual
(LOTM Oct 2016)

User avatar
Sailor
Supporter 2016
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:36 pm
My Generation: 5G
Location: Hampshire
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by Sailor » Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 pm

tom023 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 am
That's terrible Sailor, is the car wash going to take responsibility for the damages?
Well, they do have a stack of pre-printed complaint forms!
vanzep wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am
yeah thats sad to see - ive always avoided car washes since i lost a wind deflector off the lude going thru one.
i think most if not all the drive thru car washes have a notice up saying its at your own risk so doubt they will pay up unless there has been a malfunction with the machine.
I normally avoid them, too, but this one had been pretty good and I used for the first time only after a couple of mates had already been through.
The lead operator said he thought the head office would reply within 5 working days. he then told me that they had settled after an incident with a "£100,000 Mercedes". (He didn't elaborate.)

The facility is part of a large chain (IMO), so I'd expect them to have some relevant standard operating procedures.
International Pensioner of Mystery

User avatar
tom023
Supporter 2016
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:45 pm
My Generation: 5G
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Another cautionary tale

Post by tom023 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Sailor wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 pm
tom023 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 am
That's terrible Sailor, is the car wash going to take responsibility for the damages?
Well, they do have a stack of pre-printed complaint forms!
vanzep wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am
yeah thats sad to see - ive always avoided car washes since i lost a wind deflector off the lude going thru one.
i think most if not all the drive thru car washes have a notice up saying its at your own risk so doubt they will pay up unless there has been a malfunction with the machine.
I normally avoid them, too, but this one had been pretty good and I used for the first time only after a couple of mates had already been through.
The lead operator said he thought the head office would reply within 5 working days. he then told me that they had settled after an incident with a "£100,000 Mercedes". (He didn't elaborate.)

The facility is part of a large chain (IMO), so I'd expect them to have some relevant standard operating procedures.
good luck Sailor, keep us posted.

Post Reply

Return to “Integra”