Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

An appeal for help. *UPDATE*

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

An appeal for help. *UPDATE*

Post by bennyboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 pm

In September this year, I'm planning to take on something that I've always wanted to do - Ride from Land's End to John O'Groats. Near enough 1000 miles, sometimes over 100 miles per day. 'Madness' you cry! and you'd be right. So why then?

Recently, like so many others have, I lost my mum to cancer. It was detected on Boxing day 2012 and we were led to believe that the prognosis was good. Sadly, the opposite was true and by October 2013 we lost her. :(

She was only just 68 and 'healthy' - she never drank or smoked, had porridge for breakfast most days, stayed active and was not overweight. There was no family history either. The cards that we are dealt sometimes.... :evil:

Thankfully, for the final couple of months, mum was in the Hospice of St Francis.

They help people of all ages, with terminal or life threatening illnesses, and they make the biggest difference you can imagine.
It costs them £4.7 million per year, just to exist, and only 20% of that comes from the government, the rest is down to people like you and I.

I know we hear about these places all the time and we dismiss it, not because we don't care, but because we hear pleas for help a lot these days, and unless you're directly affected at the time, it's easier to let it go.
I too was guilty of this, but I very quickly realised that we all need these places, we just don't know it yet.
The care that they gave mum was incredible. Personal, heartfelt, genuine. They gave her comfort, dignity, and the ability to accept what was going to happen. It was made more heartbreaking by the fact that my wife and I had only just had our little boy, so we had to welcome a new life, whilst knowing we were going to lose another. :cry:
I really don't know how we would have faced it without them. Even afterwards, they stayed in touch, regularly calling the family members just to check how you're doing.

Now if I had money I would have given them a sizeable donation, but I don't and I knew I wanted to say thank you, and help them to help others, and so this challenge popped into my head...

It would mean a huge amount to me if you can spare something, anything, to help me reach my target of £2600

You can read a bit more, and donate if you wish at:

https://www.justgiving.com/Ben-Askem

You can also sponsor 1,2,3,4,5 or £10 by texting BENA68 £10 (for example), to 70070

You could even just think of it as buying one of the nurses there a pint :!: :D

I know that due to the amount of us that have been/are in similar situations and the sensitive nature of this, I may strike a chord with some of you. It is not my intention to upset anyone or open old wounds so if I have, I'm sorry. :(

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this, and in advance for any donations you may make.
It means a lot, it really does. :)
Last edited by wurlycorner on Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: 8 years have passed since this fund raising, tidying up forum to maintain current 'announcements'
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Kawa
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Made sticky

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Thank you man. :)

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Good cause and having just lost a very dear friend late last year ove donated my bit.

Good luck matey, any help or support you need let us all know I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to help.
:thumbdown:

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Do you need places to crash on the way? I am pretty close to the easier ways to travel up country from cornwall. pm me if you want.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Kristoffer

Post by Kristoffer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Last edited by Kristoffer on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Also done earlier. B, if you make it out this way you're welcome to crash, bit off track though :lol:

Should think the fine folks of LG can get you a considerable way closer to your target ;)

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 pm

@4thgenphil Sorry to hear that bud. :( Thanks very much for your donation and offer.

@lewd lude lover Thats a kind thought mate, thank you. Im actually doing the event with an organiser so that I can just concentrate on riding....and breathing :lol: So in theory, we have our stops all sorted. If I get there, and it's like something out of Hostel though, I may give you a shout... :lol:

@Kristoffer and @Donald Thanks to you both. :)

I have a lot of new 'anonymous' donations so to all you guys above and anyone that has donated but maybe not posted. :hail: :hug:

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Kristoffer

Post by Kristoffer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Last edited by Kristoffer on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

becca
My Generation: 3G

Post by becca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Good luck! Great cause, and have donated earlier.

Absolutely stunning scenery up North too, so if you can see through the sweat make sure to take it all in :lol:

Return to “General Chat”