Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

My 1999 Honda s2000 [AP1]

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
prelude_h22
My Generation: 5G

My 1999 Honda s2000 [AP1]

Post by prelude_h22 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:34 pm

"The F20C - The heart of the s2000"

Hi All,

Shortly after purchase on the 04-04-18, the work began on project 2000.

I had a good look over the car and created a list of the areas that needed addressing.
This list was quite extensive but I began with the basics first.

TASK 1 - Alarm Install
14-04-2018

The first task on the agenda was to install a CAT 1 alarm system, due to the s2000 being a pre 2001 model it only came with a factory immobilizer with central locking. No alarm system was present.

The system I selected was a Toad AI606 system, previously used on my 1999 Honda Prelude and proved to be a reliable easy to use simple system. There was only one person in my mind to have this installed.

This was Rakesh from RD electrics, he installed the same system on my Prelude and the craftsmanship and quality of his work was top notch.

Rakesh did a fantastic job and I can't recommend him enough, the install was straight forward and went smoothly.
Due to the age of the car, all door pin switches were also removed and cleaned to avoid the alarm going off accidently. The door pin switches had some slight corrosion but all cleaned up well with their connectors all intact and in excellent condition.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Alarm System Kit
Part Number: TOAD AI606
Supplier: Supplied by Rakesh

Services Used:
R&D Electrics (Alarm Install Services)
Mobile: 077395-40000
Email: rakesh6466@sky.com
https://en-gb.facebook.com/fonz6466/

Resources used
None
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TASK 2 - Basic Oil Service
14-04-2018

The next task was to perform a basic service on the s2000, this was performed straight after the alarm install.
All filters used were genuine Honda.

This included:
-Oil change using 5w 40 (Oil chosen was the Motul 5w/40 x-cess)
-Oil filter
-Air filter
-Pollen filter
-Spark Plugs
The other fluids, i.e, Coolant, Transmission, Diff, Brake and Clutch will be performed later.

Changing the oil on the s2000 was surprising quite easy, the oil filter is easily accessible with the air filter being right in front of the engine bay within a large air box.

The pollen filter is located under the front windshield scuttle panel and was a breeze to change over.

Replacing the spark plugs were relatively easy, the existing spark plugs looked in good condition and showed that the engine has been performing ok. Spark plugs were tighten using the revised torque specifications.
I decided to go for the iridium type spark plugs instead of the platinum type for better longevity.

Overall a very pleasant and enjoyable task, being classic Honda design everything was easily accessible.

Parts Purchased
Part: Engine Oil (Motul 5w/50 x-cess)
Part Number: N/A
Supplier: Tegiwa

Part: Engine Oil Filter (Genuine Honda) (Also included sump drain washer)
Part Number: 15400-PCX-004
Supplier: August Motor Honda via their ebay shop
(Balmer Lawn Group)

Part: Air Filter (Genuine Honda)
Part Number: 17220-PCX-003
(Balmer Lawn Group)

Part: Pollen Filter (Genuine Honda)
Part Number: 79831-S2A-003
(Balmer Lawn Group)

Part: NGK Spark Plugs (Iridium)
Part Number: IFR7G-11KS
Supplier: Tegiwa

Services Used:
None

Resources used
S2kI Forum Thread: S2000 Service
You Tube Video: Pollen filter change

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 3 - Engine Bay Deep Clean
22-04-2018

The next task after the basic service was to perform a deep clean on the engine bay.
Initially the engine bay wasn't too bad but there were definite signs that the car had been sat around for a long while. It would also be a good opportunity to have a good in-depth view around the engine bay to see if anything required addressing.

I began by removing the battery and hoovering up all the debris in that corner, the process consisted of a bottled spray gun filled with fairy liquid and water, a tooth brush and an old unused paint brush.

Whilst I was around the battery area, I unbolted both grounding cables and wire brushed them to remove all the corrosion I could.

The air box was also removed and all chassis sections inspected and cleaned.

Due to the age of the car there are areas, fixtures and fittings that have rusted slightly but overall it is a vast improvement to the overall look of the engine bay.

The rocker cover will be replaced with a newly refurbished one which is on order and will be fitted very soon.

Parts Purchased
None

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 4 - Front Door Speaker Check & Revert Back To Originals
05-05-2018

During a drive I noticed that the sound output from the passenger side speaker became slightly intermittent on certain occasions, mainly during uneven road surfaces.

A quick peer into the speaker grills reveal that the original speakers have been replaced by some JBL types.

Due to this upgrade and the intermittent sound issue I was concerned that the DIY speaker upgrade from the previous owner may have been performed poorly.

The speakers will be reverted back to originals, however the original speakers for this model of s2000 were the paper cone type. These seem hard to come by, therefore the later blue coned type speakers were purchased as these are plentiful on the 2nd hand market and perform much better.

A good condition pair of later spec blue coned original s2000 speakers were purchased.

The door cards were swiftly removed and the quality of the JBL speaker install became apparent. The JBL speakers were fitted to the original Honda speaker baskets which was quite impressive. The original speaker loom and connectors were all still intact which was a relief. The previous owner connected the JBl speakers to the original connectors using modified spade connectors hence the poor contact. All this was poorly wrapped generously with electrical tape.

With all that removed, the install of the original s2000 speakers was clean and swift, with connectors being cleaned up and some multipurpose grease added to the connector contacts to prevent any corrosion.

The rest of the door assembly was inspected with no other areas having been touched or modified. Even the original door sheet membrane still intact and untouched.

The sound from the original speakers are surprisingly good and very happy with the results.

Speaker Purchased

Door Card Removed Showing JBL Speaker Setup

Poor Quality of Wiring Connection but Original Connector and Loom Intact and not modified

Original Speakers Installed

Parts Purchased

Part: Original s2000 Speakers
Supplier: Ebay Purchase (2nd Hand)

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 5 - Modifry Bracket Phone Holder
05-05-2018

One of problems with the s2000 in today's modern age is that there are not many options or suitable places within the cabin to mount your mobile phone.

With various online searches there was always one brand/design that was mentioned.
This design came from a company based in the states and goes by the name of Modifry.

Bob at Modifry specially designed a bracket mount which installs on the side of the dash cluster.
The item is quite pricey (being in the uk) for a bit of metal but this seemed to be the perfect solution to all s2000 owners and I can see why it is so popular.

With the product coming from the states, it does mean expensive shipping costs, slightly longer shipping time and the potential of customs duty tax being charged upon entering the UK.

To my amazement, the package came within 5 days and no duty was charged :)

Upon opening the package it came with some instructions and all pieces individually wrapped in their plastic bags. I also ordered their universal phone holder as it attaches neatly to the bracket using the supplied screws.

The install was pretty straight forward with only the cutting of the excess plastic trim being quite tricky due to the fear of slipping and damaging the interior. Taking it slow with a sharp craft knife was the key here and in no time the trim was neatly cut.
If the bracket was ever removed in the future, none of the cut trim will be seen when re-assembled.

The bracket and phone holder was soon attached, extra phone grippers were also purchased to further hold the phone in its cradle - I would highly recommend them if your phone is as big or bigger than a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Overall a great bit of kit, the cradle and bracket are stable at high speeds and on rough roads. It keeps the phone in place and does not move around.

There are a few issues that I have found:

-The phone holder does sit quite low and on the occasional gear change you can hit the phone/bracket assembly.
-If you have the phone charging, the cable exits on the bottom of my phone and therefore will hinder your gear changing.
-Due to the phones position when mounted, you can get reflection/glare from the phone screen, but twisting the phone slightly towards the driver can eliminate this.

However, despite these issues it is nice to have a place to mount your phone when driving the s2000 albeit slightly on the pricey side.

The Kit

Install

Finished

Parts Purchased

Part: Modifry Dash Bracket
Supplier: Modifry
Web: http://www.modifry.com

Part: Universal Phone Holder

Part: Additional Phone Grippers for Phone Holder

Services Used:
None

Resources used
DIYguys You tube Video (Modirfy Bracket Install Guide)

Task 6 - Interior Deep Clean
05-05-2018

Whilst staying within the interior, the next task was to perform a deep clean of the interior. Being a convertible, the interior would have been exposed to lots of dirt and grime over the years.

The job began by removing all the top layer carpets and hoovering the main carpets thoroughly, this included all hard to reach areas behind and under the seats.

After the carpets were hoovered, they were scrubbed using an interior type brush and autoglym interior shampoo. The results from this was fresher looking and smelling carpets.

The next stage was to clean the dash cluster, all the buttons were individually cleaned using autoglym interior shampoo and a toothbrush. Removing all dirt and grime around each button.

The results were shockingly good, with the dash cluster looking really fresh and clean, the vents were also cleaned using a detailing brush.

The stereo system was mainly untouched and in fabulous condition with the original Honda cassette stereo still in place, further inspection reveals that the stereo has never been removed. No marks or scratches are present anywhere around the fascia or surround trim panels. The original CD changer is still in the boot and in full operational order.

The old tax disc holder was still present and was removed, the adhesive remains cleaned using IPA.

Both seats were brushed and megauries leather treatment was applied to them to help restore its texture and finish.

Parts Purchased
None

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 7 - Soft Top Striker Modification
12-05-2018

At higher motorway speeds, my s2000's roof tends to leak some wind noise.
The soft top roof on my s2000 had been replaced by the previous owner so it is not the original one, however upon reading a few threads there is a modification that can be performed to help reduce the wind noise from a roof that does not sit 100% flush with the windshield edge.

The OEM solution is to install the hardtop strikers, these are similar to the soft top striker plates but are much thicker. Priced at around £50 ish each, they are quite pricey.

I thought I would give the washer modification a try considering it is a quick and cheap solution.

The relevant interior trim all unclipped with ease with the help of "DIYguys" fantastic video.

The M6 washers (x2 per screw) and longer M6 machine screw were fitted and the soft top strikers re-installed.

As a result, the soft top strikers clamps the roof much tighter, on a road test the wind noise has pretty much been eliminated.

A fantastic result.
This solution may not work and will depend on how worn out your roof or existing strikers are but it is highly worth trying before purchasing the hard top striker versions.

Parts Purchased

Part: M6 x25mm Machine Screw with (1mm pitch thread)
Part Number: M6x25
Supplier: KaysFast1 (via their ebay store)
Web: http://www.ebay.co.uk

Part: M6 Form C Washer
Part Number: M6 Washers
Supplier: KaysFast1 (via their ebay store)

Services Used:
None

Resources used
DIY guys youtube video

Task 8 - Hard Top Brackets Installation
19-05-2018

One of the items on my wish list for the s2000 is a hardtop roof.
I was unfortunate to find a GT version of the s2000 that already came with a hardtop roof.

However, long before owning an s2000 I was able to find a set of hardtop roof brackets. They popped up on ebay at a great price so I snapped them up.
The thought here, if I didn't buy an s2000 they could be sold on pretty easily.

By installing the hardtop brackets now it would be ready for a hardtop if one popped up second hand in the future.

I studied the Honda hard top instructions manual and the fitting of the brackets seem relatively straight forward.

The kit I purchased came with the modified plastic trim sections with the hardtop version brushes, I began by removing the various trim pieces from behind the front seats.
Then removing the quarter panel plastic trim pieces.
This exposed the inner metal sections where the brackets are to be fitted.

The install was quick and simple along with re-assembly.
It would be much easier if the seats were removed although I didn't have that luxury due to performing car work on a side street.

My s2000 is an early model and therefore does not have the rear heated window wiring and loom.
This can be added later if I desire, perhaps if a hardtop is purchased I will look into purchasing the rear heater demister loom and switch.

A great result and now ready for a hardtop :)

Parts Purchased

Part: Right Hardtop Body Catcher
Part Number: n/a
Supplier: Ebay (2nd hand)

Part: Left Hardtop Body Catcher

Part: Right Side Hardtop Version Plastic Trim Piece

Part: Left Side Hardtop Version Plastic Trim Piece

Services Used:
None

Resources used
Honda Instructions Manual for Hardtop Installation

Task 9 - Deep Clean Boot/Trunk
19-05-2018

The next area that required a good clean and check was the boot area.

This would allow me to check all aspects of the boot, including the spare tyre. By removing the interior trim pieces it would also allow me to inspect the inner metal work of the car to see if there were any areas of concern.

Tasks included
-Remove all interior trim pieces
-Inspect inner metal work of car
-Remove spare tyre
-Check spare tyre condition and pump up to recommend pressure
-Check spare tyre recess and clean as required
-Clean all boot oem tools and check condition and function of car jack
-Hoover and clean all interior trim pieces
-Remove rubber boot seal on top edge and check of rust or broken paint
(Touch up as required)

Once the spare wheel was removed, I had a good look through into the rear of the car and it all seemed pretty clean.
No signs of any water leaks or rust was present which meant the hood water drains were ok and no water was entering the boot area.

Parts Purchased
None

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 10 - Amber Side Lights
19-05-2018

I have always liked the look of amber side lights, so this gave me an opportunity to swap over the 501 capless side bulbs in the headlamps with osram amber versions.
The install was rather tricky due to limited access. The arch liners had to be completely peeled away to gain access to the rear of the headlamp.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Osram Amber 501 Capless Bulbs
Supplier: Amazon
Web: http://www.Amazon.co.uk

Services Used:
None

Resources used
S2ki Forum thread
Xenon bulb headlight replacement Guide

Task 11 - Throttle Body , IACV, MAP Sensor and PCV Valve Clean
(Also Map Sensor Bracket Strap Install)
30-05-2018

Most s2000's suffer from the rpm rev dip issue usually upon a blip of the throttle. According to threads and other s2000 owners this is a common issue with s2000's. The main culprit is usually the IACV (intake air control valve) this is quite an expensive component but usually with a good clean you can resolve the issue. I also intend to clean out a few other components too.
To begin, the negative battery terminal was disconnected.

IACV Valve
Again, using DIYguys excellent youtube video guide, the process was straight forward. I actually removed the component by disconnecting the coolant hose feeds and lifting it away. I found it alot easier to clean the IACV vavle with the component out. Once the component was out there was significant carbon build up inside the chambers.

A good clean with a cotton ear bud and brake cleaner the IACV valve was looking as good as new. The motor assembly was also removed which allowed the internal flap to be properly cleaned, I also ensure this flap rotated smoothly.

MAP sensor and PCV valve
Whilst the IACV was out the MAP sensor and PCV valve was also cleaned.
The PCV valve was removed from the rocker cover and sprayed with brake cleaner. With a good shake of the PCV valve the rattle noise was still present within the component which indicates the PCV valve is in good working order. The MAP sensor was cleaned with CRC spray due to being a much sensitive component. It is not recommended to clean the MAP sensor with brake cleaner.

Throttle Body
Another task on the agenda was to clean the throttle body, from inspecting the fixings it is apparent that the throttle body has never been removed or cleaned. The process was relatively easy with just a few hoses being a little tricky to remove due to its age and never being touched.

Once removed the butterfly was inspected, the amount of carbon build up was quite significant.
A thorough clean with brake cleaner including all the ports was performed. The internals of the throttle body was looking fantastic.

Vtec Solenoid
The last task was to remove, inspect and clean the vtec solenoid. Easy access being at the front side of the engine block, removal consisted of three bolts so it was a breeze to remove.

Once removed, it was inspected, the chamber with the mesh in front had no metallic debris which is an excellent sign and proves no metal shavings or debris have been floating around the engine for any reason.

The part looked in excellent shape, a quick clean using brake cleaner it was re-installed back in no time. All surrounding areas of the vtec solenoid was cleaned also.

Re-assembly and Map Sensor bracket Strap Install
Once I was happy that the IACV, PCV valve, throttle body and MAP sensor was cleaned, the re-assembly process began. Everything all went back together as easy as they were to remove.

The MAP sensor bracket strap was also purchased and installed.
This was a Honda TSB (technical service bulletin) which resolved a potential issue of hesitation upon hard acceleration. The root cause was down to the MAP sensor electrical connector becoming loose. The strap ensures the connector is fully secured with no movement.

I didn't experience this issue but I thought it would be good practice to eliminate the possibility of it ever occurring.

Once everything was back together, the battery was re-connected and DIYguys ECU relearn procedure was performed.

The results were fantastic, the throttle response was alot smoother and the rev dip was almost but eliminated. Due to the nature of the s2000 it will probably return but for now the efforts above are well worth it.

Parts Purchased
Part: MAP Sensor Bracket Strap
Part Number: 32125PCX003
Supplier: Holdcroft Honda
Email Contact: Gareth@HH.com

Part: Brake Cleaner
Supplier: Eurocarparts
Web: http://www.eurocarparts.com

Part: CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner
Supplier: Ebay

Services Used:
None

Resources used
DIY Guys IACV Cleaning guide

DIY Guys ECU relearn procedure

Task 12 - Four Piece Genuine Honda Mats Installation
31-05-2018

The interior of the s2000 is generally a lovely place to be. However the only item in the cabin that lets it down are the previous owners mat set. They seem to well used and an aftermarket type.

Honda still offers the JDM type 4 piece mat set, pretty pricey but in my opinion well worth it.

I decided to get the black set for a nice contrast against the red main carpet and seats.

Upon installation, it was soon discovered that due to my s2000 being an early model the fixings for this type of mat set do not exist.

However, due to the placement and design of the mat set, which utilizes a special bracket which sits over the chassis cross member this helps to keep the mat set in place without any modification.

Once installed they look fantastic.
A worthy upgrade to any s2000 interior.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Honda 4 Piece Mat Set
Part Number: 08P16S2A510A
Supplier: Coxmotorparts
Web: http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk

Services Used:
None

Resources used
S2ki forum Thread "mats install"

Task 13 - Water Leak into Drivers Foot well
31-05-2018

A couple days this week saw some heavy rainfall and whilst installing the mat set in the previous task it was noticed that the main carpet on the driver's side foot well was quite wet.

This was quite a concern as water leaking into the cabin is never a good thing. Moisture from the water can cause bad smells, invoke rust and cause mould and bacteria growth if left unnoticed.

I began to look online to see if anyone experienced a similar issue, most water leak cases for the s2000 occurs on poor soft top hood drainage which results in water leaks in the boot. However I did stumble across a thread on s2ki where an individual investigated the same problem that I was experiencing.

The root cause was the water seal gasket on the rubber drainage trim on the A-pillar. The gasket directs the water flow outwards into the door recess areas. With this particular gasket being worn away from its position it would allow water to flow directly downwards and into the area behind the bonnet release catch. See images below, notice that the gasket has moved away from its adhesive location and allow water to pass by.

This rubber trim piece seems to be a complete part which fits the entire windshield. Replacing it would either be quite expensive and or a pain to remove and replace.

In its current state the trim piece is still in good condition so it I decided to go down the repair route.

The old gasket section was removed and its area fully cleaned.

In order to replace this gasket, silicon sealant was used. This provided a good high quality long lasting reliable seal. This was applied on the same location as the old gasket, the trim piece was re-installed with the silicon left to cure.

So far no water has leaked into the cabin, a fantastic result.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Dow Corning Clear Silicon Sealant 78g
Supplier: Ebay - Sealants and Tools Direct

Services Used:
None

Resources used
S2ki forum Thread "Water leak investigation"

Task 14 - S2000 First Photo Shoot
02-06-2018

After the above tasks, there was an opportunity to perform a quick photo shoot of the s2000.
We found some lovely roads in Hertfordshire for a great drive and some photos.

Task 15 - Fit New Centre Caps to Wheels
03-06-2018

With the s2000 having facelift v2 wheels they came with unofficial centre caps which did not do the wheels any justice.

I wanted the original Honda centre caps but for the face lifted wheels they were quite pricey. Although they were still available to purchase from Honda.

I decided to go for them and once installed, it totally transformed the look of the wheel.
Something so simple but yet have a great impact of the aesthetic of a wheel.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Genuine Honda Centre Cap x4 (for facelifted wheels)
Part Number: 44732-S2A-921
Supplier: Htune
Web: http://www.Htune.com

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 16 - Treat all Roof/Door/Boot Seals with Shin-Etsui Silicon Grease
03-06-2018

One of the most recommended tasks for any s2000 owner is to treat all rubber seals with the Honda Shin Etsui grease.

This is a relatively simple task and just involves working the grease into the rubber seals, this moistens up the rubber and stops it from drying out which can lead to poor sealing and water leaking.

All seals were treated including:
-All roof seals
-Apillar seals
-Door seals
-Boot seals
-Front edge Bonnet seal

Parts Purchased:
Part: Hond Shin Etsui Grease
Part Number: 087989013

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 17 - Clutch Change/Valve Clearances/Brake Overhaul & Remaining Fluids Change
@ Performance Autoworks
04-06-2018

One of the main issues with the s2000 was the clutch. Having done approx 87k miles and with it being an early s2000 the clutch had seen better days.

There was also the early technical service bulletin (TSB) present on my s2000 called clutch buzz.
The clutch operation would be fine with only a buzzing sound present when decelerating, most s2000 owners with the issue tend to live with it until the time a clutch change is required.

This occurs when decelerating from 2nd or 3rd gear, a buzzing sound would be present.
The root cause of this were the friction disc plate springs vibrating at high rotational speeds.

I thought it would be an ideal time to get the clutch replaced with the revised genuine part, Rich also advised that the clutch release fork should also be replaced as these can significantly wear too.

Along with the clutch I also decided to get Performance Autoworks to perform a complete brake overhaul. With the car having sat around for many years, the callipers, mainly the rears were seized on and the discs were pretty rusted, they weren't the best brand either being pajid. The brake fluid was near enough a brown colour too.

Another TSB on my s2000 was the rear axle nut. This involved the current axle nut torque setting not being sufficient/tight enough. The results from this would be a clicking sound at low speeds.
Thankfully my s2000 did not have this issue but I thought it would be a good idea to get the axle nuts torqued to the revised settings.

Valve clearances are very important on the F20 engine, this was on the agenda including fitting of a new refurbed rocker and spark plug cover refurbed by "spooner restorations".
I also included brand new genuine Honda gaskets and spark plug washer seals.

I also decided to get Rich at Performance Autoworks to perform other little jobs below
Including the above:

Major Re-work
-Replace clutch and fork
-Fit new rocker cover including new gaskets/seals and top rocker washers
-Adjust Valve clearances
-Check valve retainers for cracks (cracks can be caused by over revving)
-Check and if required tighten up rear axle nuts (TSB)
-Replace front/rear callipers
-Replace front rear brake discs and pads

Remaining Fluids Change
-Flush and replace coolant
-Flush and replace brake fluid
-Flush and replace clutch fluid
-Flush and replace transmission fluid - MTF3
-Flush and replace rear differential fluid

Other Work
-Replace a missing heat shield fastening bolt
-Check condition of engine/gearbox mounts
-Replace firewall brake pipe holders.

Overall the re-work above went well, Rich at Performance Autoworks did have a little trouble with one of the main sub frame bolts which can be pretty troublesome. However it came out without any major trouble.
Quite amazing despite the year of the car and with it being standing outside for many years.
The new clutch feels amazing, a lovely soft feel and with the transmission fluid replaced the shift action now feels incredible. Slots into all gears smoothly and is a joy to use.

Original clutch worn down to its rivets.

Parts Purchased:

Part: Genuine Honda Clutch Kit (3 piece)
Part Number: 22105-PCX-325

Part: Genuine Honda Clutch Release Fork
Part Number: 08CLA-G01-6S0

Part: Genuine Honda Front Brake Discs
Part Number: 45251-S2A-000

Part: Genuine Honda Rear Brake Discs
Part Number: 42510-S2A-000

Part: Genuine Honda Front Brake Pads
Part Number: 45022-S2A-E51

Part: Genuine Honda Rear Brake Pads
Part Number: 06430-S2A-E50

Part: Front Brake Calipers (Pair)
Part Number: BCA4714 (Left) BCA4715 (Right)

Part: Rear Brake Callipers (Pair)
Part Number: BCA4726 (Left) BCA4727 (Right)

Part: Genuine Honda HYpoid HG0 Diff Fluid (x1 litre)
Part Number: 08294-P99-01HE

Part: Genuine Honda Type 2 Coolant (x5 litres)
Part Number: 22820-PCY-000

Part: Genuine Honda MTF3 Fluid (x2 litres)
Part Number: 082679-990-2HE

Part: Castrol React Brake Fluid (x2 litres)
Part Number: Castrol React

Part: Genuine Honda Map Sensor Bracket Strap
Part Number: 32125-PCX-003

Part: Genuine Honda Firewall Brake Line Clips
Part Number: 46396-S84-A01

Part: Genuine Honda Rocker Cover Gasket Kit
Part Number: 12040-PCX-305

Part: Genuine Honda Spark Plug Seals
Part Number: 12342-PCX-004

Services Used:
Performance Autoworks (Fairford/Gloucestershire GL7 4BX)
Tel: 01285 711 733
Email: info@performance-autoworks.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Performa ... 1547611908

Spooner Restorations
Tel: 07515881784
Email: paulflaxton@googlemail.com
http://www.spoonerrestorations.co.uk

Resources used
None

Task 18 - Brake Calliper Carrier Paint
16-06-2018

After the major brake overhaul at Performance Autoworks the calliper carriers needed a refresh against the newly refurbished brake callipers.

Factory silver was the obvious choice, removing the calliper carrier and having them sent off for powder coating was the ideal way to go.
Unfortunately my home setup won't allow the car to be left on axle stands whilst this occurs. So this was done the old fashioned way.

A quick wire brush to the carriers and a paint brush application of silver Hammerite paint.

All 4 calliper carriers were done very quickly and with pretty good results.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Silver Hammerite Paint
Supplier: Homebase (Any DIY Store)

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 19 - Xenon Bulb Replacement
16-06-2018

The next task was to replace the passenger side front non working xenon low beam headlight.

The front low beams of the s2000 feature xenon HID lighting from the factory.
The bulb fitment and type is: D2S

After a quick look on s2ki forum for a how to guide, it seemed pretty straight forward.

Although straight forward to replace the bulbs, it involved removing the front wheels and arch liner for complete access. This was ideal so a good glimpse can be had within this area.

Everything seemed to be intact, although the passenger side HID ballast had been replaced with a non genuine type. Most likely the original ballast went faulty at some point.
Although fully functional I would get this replaced with a genuine module sometime in the future.

The bulb replacement went well, the previous bulbs were a much higher colour temperature.
Most likely 5000 kelvin. The bulbs were a non branded type and most likely of poor quality.

Original Osram 4300 kelvin bulbs were installed for the factory illumination and appearance.

5000k Xenons Bulbs on the left removed and the osram 4300k Xenon bulbs installed on the right

Parts Purchased:
Part: Osram Original Xenarc 4150K D2S Xenon bulbs
Part Number: 66240 (x2)
Supplier: Ebay - Upgrade Bulbs

Services Used:
None

Resources used
S2ki forum Thread "HID Xenon Bulb Replacement Guide"

Task 20 - Paint Rear of Exhaust Silencer
16-06-2018

The rear sections of the exhaust silencers were looking rather flaky. Most of the OEM black paint has started to flake away over the years.
This is quite a eye sore when looking back at the car.

A quick coat of VHT (Very high temperature) paint was the quick solution here.

The rear of the silencers were quickly rubbed down to remove any flaky old paint and provide a good surface for the paint to adhere too.

A couple coats of the VHT matt black paint immediately improved the overall appearance.

Great result.

Before

After

Parts Purchased:
Part: Hycote VHT Matt Black Paint 400ml
Part Number: UK1001
Supplier: Ebay - Agrauto Seller

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 21 - Under Seal Arches
16-06-2018

Most of the factory underseal around the arches had worn away and with the car being stood around for a fair few years the suspension arms had become rather rusty.

With the arch liners having already been removed on the previous stages, it was a good opportunity to underseal the arches.

A quick hose down with my portable battery jet wash cleaned away alot of the dirt, grime and debris.

This provided a good clean surface for the underseal treatment to adhere too.

Having no mains power or compressor systems available to me, I needed a quick solution for application.

The aerosol version of the Dinitrol underbody sealant wax was ideal. The Dinitrol 4914.

Easy spray on provided hassle free application with a quick masking of areas that are not required to be coated.

The results were fantastic and certainly improved the appearance of the arches, the coating should provide many years of protection on our UK roads.

The arch liners were re-installed with new fastener clips.
(New fastener clips are highly recommended due to most of the original old ones crumbling away upon removal) A pack of x50 fasteners were purchased from the below seller and were excellent value and high quality.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Dinitrol 4941 Underbody Wax Sealant - Aerosol Spray On Type (500ml)
Part Number: 4941 (DA1996)
Supplier: Ebay - MPS trading

Part: Arch Liner Splash Guard trim Fastener Clips
Part Number: 91501-S04-003
Supplier: Ebay - byronix

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 22 - Honda Jazz Washer Jet Upgrade
16-06-2018

The windscreen washers on the s2000 from standard are pretty poor. They shoot two burst of water jets at the windshield and are pretty inefficient.

The Honda Jazz washer jets provide a mist spray and not only does it look great it also provides an excellent spray coverage of the windshield.

This upgrade is very common and usually performed on many Honda's of the 90's as it is literally a 5 minute plug and play job.

However, upon installing my set of Honda Jazz washer jets, it was found that the drivers washer jet was very weak.

Upon disassembling and inspecting all the hoses it was found that the one way valve on the driver's side jet had become faulty. The one way valve from Honda was over £15.00. I am all for using genuine parts, however this is alittle over priced for such a tiny and simple component.

It is an easy access component so a cheaper generic part is ideal.

Once the one way valve was purchased and installed, the jazz washer jets performed as they should.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Honda Jazz Washer Jet (genuine Honda)
Part Number: 76810-SEA-A01
Supplier: Ebay - Tegiwa

Part: One Way Valve for Windscreen Washer
Part Number: N/A (unbranded)
Supplier: Ebay - Autopower online

Services Used:
None

Resources used
Lings Honda Part Diagram Explosions
https://www.lingshondaparts.com/cars/car-parts.html

Task 23 - Brand New Wheel Nuts
16-06-2018

The final touch for the wheel area was to add a set of brand new wheel nuts. The original wheel nuts were in a very poor state. An attempt to wire brush them was unsuccessful.

A brand new set was purchased from a Honda dealer on eBay due to a special offer.

The size purchased was the 25mm height nuts.
(Honda also do the 30mm height which would stick out too much)

Once the wheels were ready to go on, the new nuts were installed with a hint of copper grease to the inner threads.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Honda Wheel Nuts 25mm Height Type (Genuine Honda)
Part Number: 90304-SA5-013
Supplier: Ebay - Crown Honda Bushey (Honda Dealer)

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 24 - Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts
16-06-2018

The original Honda wheel locking nuts currently on the car were really past their best.

The surface of most of the locks had completely rusted over. It would be a good time to have them replaced and avoiding that embarrassing situation where the wheel locks disintegrates when attempting to remove them.

A genuine good condition Honda lock set was found on eBay saving me a good amount from buying new.

All of the old nuts were removed successfully with no issues.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Honda Wheel Alloy Wheel Locks (Genuine Honda) (2nd Hand)
Part Number: 08W42-S1A-600
Supplier: Ebay - Private Seller

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 25 - Replacement Windscreen Wipers
16-06-2018

Another quick job was to replace the windscreen wipers, the current ones were pretty tired and were upgraded to the those flat aero type wipers by the previous owner.

Not being keen on the retro after market flat aero type unless originally fitted as standard, this is because the retro fit ones don't look great as they usually have a large lump where the wiper arm connects to it.

After a quick glance at original wiper sizes for the s2000, being 16" driver and 20" passenger a cheap set of Bosch super plus standard wipers were ordered.

Once fitted It I decided to fit the 20" wiper to the driver's side which provided a much cleaner sweep.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Bosch Super Plus Wiper Blades (pair)
Part Number: 16" and 20" Sizes
Supplier: Ebay - Parts_monster

Services Used:
None

Resources used
S2ki forum Thread "Wiper Sizes Guide"

Task 26 - Handsfree Kit Solution
16-06-2018

I wanted a hands free kit in the s2000 but I did not want to change the standard original head unit. The s2000 featured the original Honda cassette head unit with its CD changer in the boot.

It is a very dated system but the CD changer and headunit operates perfectly.

I wanted to retain all of this but I needed the added feature of Bluetooth hands free for that odd telephone call within the car.

My brother shared a solution which he uses in his Honda Jazz.

The device is called "Supertooth Buddy" a simple small device which attaches and clips to the sun visor.
It has its own built in battery and pretty much a standalone unit with no hard wiring of any cables.

This was the perfect solution, easy to use, long lasting battery life, fantastic sound quality and great value of money.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Bluetooth Handsfree Kit
Part Number: Supertooth buddy
Supplier: Ebay - vodaphone store (special offer)

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 27 - Replace Dash Cluster Blanking Switch
16-06-2018

One of the dash blanking switch covers in the car was used to house a Clifford alarm system valet switch.
With the alarm system now being a Toad, this valet switch is no surplus to requirements.

The previous owner drilled a hole in this blanking switch to house the valet switch so this switch plate is now redundant.

A quick email to Holdcroft Honda for the part at a great price it was soon on order and arrived in great time.

A quick and easy replacement

Parts Purchased:
Part: Right Side Dash Cluster Blanking Switch Plate
Part Number: 77208-S2A-003ZA
Supplier: Holdcroft Honda
Email Contact: Gareth.rees@holdcroft.com

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 28 - Add Security Window Stickers
14-07-2018

With the alarm installed successfully at an earlier stage, the s2000 did not have any window security labels.
Security labels on the windows do act as a deterent so they do serve a purpose.

Due to the car not having a factory alarm originally (due to it being an early s2000), no factory secutiy labels were present on the windows.

The alarm installed is a Toad AI606 system and their included labels in my opinion were not very nice.

I looked at original Honda secutiy labels installed on the later s2000 models, they were subtle, promimnent and of course genuine Honda. haha! So I decieded to go for them.

They were easy to install on the inside rear corner of the windows. The window was cleaned using some IPA solution to ensure an oil and grease free surface before application.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Genuine Honda Security Window Labels x2
Part Number: 39885-S5A-G11

Services Used:
None

Resources used
None

Task 29 - New Tyres
15-07-2018

One of the more expensive jobs I have to do on the s2000 are tyres.

The rear tyres on the s2000 are getting extremely low on the inner edge, with the brand name of the tyre being a budget type it was more reason to get them changed.
The front tyres had some good thread left (around 4mm) but I thought it would be best to get a fresh new set on.

Various research into the best tyre for the s2000 spanned various brands but the one brand that came out as being a good all rounder was the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric.
Now in its version 3 model this seemed a wise safe choice for price, comfort, confidence for that freaking insane drive and perhaps that rare track day.

I went for the OEM standard sizes:
Fronts: 215-45-R17 (XL load)
Rears: 245-40-R17 (XL load)

My local protyre garage are very good and a quick visit to their website, an order was placed for supply and fitting in the next couple days.

The rims were cleaned prior to fitting the new tyres, it was apparent that the existing tyres have been on the rims for quite some time. All tyres mounted well with no hidden issues with the rims.

The alignment will be performed separately at a later stage as these cars are notoriously known for the geo bolts to be seized up.

The new tyres provides the s2000 with a smooth drive and fantastic grip when pushed around the corners.
The good year Asymmetric 3 tyres are definitely highly recommended.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Rear Tyres 245/40R17 Size (Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3)
Part Number: Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
Supplier: Protyre
Web: http://www.protyre.co.uk/

Part: Front Tyres 215/45R17 Size (Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3)
Part Number: Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
Supplier: Protyre
Web: http://www.protyre.co.uk/

Services Used:
Protyre (Tyre Fitting Garage)
Tyres ordered via their online website
(Always check for discount/promo codes before checkout)
http://www.protyre.co.uk/

Resources used
None

Task 30 - Facelift s2000 Suspension Upgrade
20-08-2018

When the s2000 was at Performance Autoworks for the major clutch change and other service jobs, Rich mentioned that the rear left damper made a slight pattering sound when going over uneven roads.
The internal gas within the dampers can leak over time which causes this sound. The dampers become weaker hence upsetting the handling slightly.
He stated that I upgrade to a nice set of coilovers or a good second hand facelift s2000 suspension set when budget allows.

I was able to find a nice 2004 facelift suspension set on the s2ki forum.
Massive thanks to Grant on the s2ki forum, he supplied me the set at an amazing price :)

Upon receipt of the kit, it all looked good.

The suspension set was given a good clean and a quick coat of black hammerite paint to freshen it up

For the installation I wanted to give it a go myself, but I called up an old mechanic family friend to assist me.

I am really glad I had the help as there would be no way I could have performed this on my own.
The rear suspension was the hardest to fit, with the rear stabilizer bracket being a pain to re-install.

The rear lower control arms had to be really pushed down to able to remove the damper assembly.
There was alot of tension held within the rear sway bar.
Removing the rear left top suspension bolts was tricky due to it being underneath the fuel piping.

After several hours (5 hours to be exact) the suspension set was installed :)

After a quick test drive, the pattering was gone and being the facelifted version of the suspension set it feels much softer and the comfort levels have noticeably increased.
The handling has much improved and gives a much more inspired confidence to the handling of the car.

Parts Purchased:
Part: Facelift 2004-2009 Front/Rear Suspension Damper and Spring Assembly
Supplier: Second hand Purchase (s2ki Forum)

Services Used:
Hometune Mechanic
Tel: 07831 196 494
(North London Area)

Resources used
None

Task 30 - s2000 Second Photo shoot
25-08-2018

The August bank holiday gave an opportunity to have a second photoshoot for the s2000.

This is how she stands presently.

Last edited by prelude_h22 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

toadster

Post by toadster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Lo :D
Blimey what an epic write up :shock:
Great work :mrgreen:
Cheers ;)
Toadster

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Great write-up. Great photos. Great work. Great car.

Inspirational!
International Pensioner of Mystery

fithotblonde
XBOX GamerTag: FitHotBlonde

Post by fithotblonde » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Now thats an update. Nice work dude 8-)

Dino
My Generation: 4G

Post by Dino » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 am

Fantastic write-up.. some very nice attention to detail here too.

Looking very sexy for a standard S2K... likey very much! 8-)

prelude_h22

Re: My 1999 Honda s2000 [AP1]

Post by prelude_h22 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks Toaster, Sailor fithotblonde, Dino :)

It was quite a lengthy write up.
Hopefully most things should be completed now.
Just need to enjoy it.

Next things on the list

-Rear Low Mid Spoiler
-Front Genuine Front Splitter Lip

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 am

Absolutely outstanding work from you, as always.

Thanks so much for sharing the write-up on here as well - it's great to keep previous lude owners on here and we (pretty much all) love the S2000 anyway! :D

Is there any other difference in the suspension on an AP2 vs AP1, or was it just the dampers?

That clutch was definitely worn! :lol:

The brushes around the hood hinge/latch area are a bit of a pain the way they've lost their original shape. Is there an mod/upgrade available there? Rubber strips maybe?

I'm intrigued how the water deflection trim re-securing was done - any pics of after?

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:37 am

Superb work and brilliant write up :D
Love the S2000, (just not as much as my Lude, hehe)

prelude_h22

Post by prelude_h22 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks Wurly, means alot :)

This is a fab forum and always used to lurk after I sold the Prelude.
All the other forums that I am part of are just not the same.

AP1 chassis codes are confusing. The UK only got the AP1, so regardless of the year facelift or pre-facelift the chassis designation for the s2000 was always AP1 here in the UK.

In the USA, they designated the s2000 AP2 for the s2000 which got the 2.2 F22 engine. More torque but lower redline.
Us Brits never got the 2.2 f22 engine.

The early s2000 were known for being quite twitchy when pushed, there were several concerns back in the day. So from 2004 (facelift) Honda remedied this by installing softer anti roll bars front and rear and softening the damper and spring rates. There were other slight changes I think but can't remember on the top of my head.

All these changes made the handling abit more predictable when pushed hard.

To be honest Ive never really thought about the brushes around the hinge area. I dont think there is a mod or anything that ive seen on the s2ki forums about changing it or improving the looks of it.

Ahhh - never took any photos after the rubber water channel trim re-positioned. The silicon stuff was quite sticky and messy that it got everywhere. I pretty much followed the original gasket line and re-affixed it back to its position.

prelude_h22

Post by prelude_h22 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Superb work and brilliant write up :D
Love the S2000, (just not as much as my Lude, hehe)
Thanks norks27,
I do miss my Prelude.
It was probably because I had it for quite some time and I was so attached to it.
It was sooo mint too. Miles ahead in mintness compared to my s2000.

Everyone does have a soft spot for the s2000.
Really glad I have the chance to own one though.
You couldn't live with an s2000 as a daily though, but a Prelude you probably could :)

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”