Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Weekend Toy / Show Car

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
uberNoobZA
My Generation: 4G

Re: Weekend Toy / Show Car

Post by uberNoobZA » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Yeah, lug nuts were torqued properly. Could be they were over torqued and started stripping the thread. Fine now that the spacers are off. When I can get access, to a lift, I'll need to get under the car and have a proper look at the rust, but there's definitely an issue there, seeing as the jack point doesn't even exist (from what I could see on the side of the road, in late afternoon light, sill is just flat, with what looks like 'sanding spots' as if it's been sanded ?). Sill definitely doesn't feel like it's filled with anything, other than rust flakes. Will probably take off the side skirts for a better look.

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Would anyone know what these strips are called, on the outside of the window. Weather strip ? Anyway... how does one get them off, without breaking the clips holding them on ?

Also, does anyone have some that I could buy? arif_manji ?

As you can see the ones on my car are really bad
Image Image

norks27
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by norks27 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 pm

CARRisma did a write up on fixing up the weather strips, with impressive results:

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/viewtop ... =7&t=20711

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 pm

norks27 wrote:@CARRisma did a write up on fixing up the weather strips, with impressive results:

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/viewtop ... =7&t=20711
Thanks. However, I want to remove the strips and replace them, as they are actually broken.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:29 pm

If are planning on replacing with brand new weather strips, then the new replacements come complete with the clips.

If you want to get the old ones off and re-use the clips with used replacement weather strips, then the way you do it is roll the window right down and then from inside the car, grab the top of the weather strip and try to roll it away from you (towards the outside of the car) a bit at a time, gradually moving along the strip.
Don't just try and pull the strip straight upwards, or the clips will all just break.
It's easier to get good purchase on the inside of the strip with the door card removed, IIRC.

nb: there's a fair likelihood that no matter how delicate you are, some of the clips will break anyway, but it is possible to remove most of them with the right technique.

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks. Im going to try and get the strips off of trackmprelude to go on this one

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am

Seems about 2 weeks worth of my posts didn't make it through the server move :cry: Ah well, not a biggie

Anyways.... All that was missed (I think) was my posts about getting the weatherstrips replaced successfully (looks MUCH better now) and possibly some posts about the stripped wheel bolts on my rear wheel hubs. Right side was REALLY bad, with me only being able to fit 3 out of 4 lugnuts, and left side had 2 bolts that were stripping as well.

I decided to just get some new wheel hubs, and as I just KNEW I was gonna struggle to get the screws that held on the brake disc loose, I decided to just get some new brake discs as well.

Luckily I did some research and found that the rear spindle nuts needed a 32mm socket, as opposed to the 36mm socket (which I had from working on track prelude) required for the front spindle nuts, so I ordered one of these before I got started

So I got the track prelude out of the way in the barn (she should be getting collected by her new owner this weekend) and got Midge (what I call THIS prelude) in the barn - good idea as it absolutely bucketed down for a few hours while I was working on her. Anyways, I digress....

So I started on the right rear wheel hub, and this came off amazingly easily - I just took off the brake caliper (hanging it securely out of the way) and then removed the spindle nut and popped off the wheel hub and brake disc as one unit. Popped the new brake disc and wheel hub back on and refitted brake caliper. I was well surprised at how quick and easy it was (due to almost everything I ever did under the track prelude being a battle). I took some pics of this side, but they're on my PC at home, so can't upload them while at work.

So I moved onto the left side, and that's where it all went pear shaped :cry:
First, it took me forever to get the 2 caliper retaining bolts loosened (not made easier by the cramped working area around that side of the car - and it was too rainy and I cba getting her back on her wheels to turn her around).

Finally got the caliper removed, and removed the spindle nut (this at least went easily), and the wheel hub gave a lot of resistance. Wiggled and hit it with a mallet and it finally came loose. However, something looked wrong.
Image Image

As you can see, the back of the wheel hub has come off and is still on the spindle. Not knowing how to get it off and not wanting to damage it, I put everything back, and moved onto other things that needed doing. Next day, I decided I'll just get the matching spindle assembly wheel hub off the track prelude (it's just an extra 4 bolts that need removing) and use that on Midge with a new wheel hub an brake disc. Same thing happened on the track prelude.....

So, as the wheel hubs seemed to come apart so easily (I REALLY don't know how I got the right hand side wheel hub off in one piece so easily), I decided that I'll just pop off the rear of the new wheel hub I bought

Yup, it came off really easily (maybe it's designed to do this ?)

SO I just went and put the new wheel hub (sans backing bit) and brake disc on, with the backing bit of the old wheel hub

The eagle eyed may notice that I don;t have hte normal Philips head screws holding the brake discs on, but rather some hex key types. These are allegedly easier to remove when the time comes....

This shows 2 of the bolts that were stripped

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 pm

The stereo in the Prelude has changed quite a few times since I've had her, but as I'm getting rid of the Outlander to get a CL9 Accord, I took out her head unit and amp, and put them in the Prelude. I also replaced her steering wheel with a great condition used Momo one (Sorry for all the dust...)

Image Image Image

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:48 am

Quite a while back, I bought a downpipe for the track prelude, as the mesh section on it was badly rusted. When trying to remove it, I snapped one of the bolts joining it to the manifold. This, plus the fact that the manifold was damaged previously, led me to purchase a stainless steel manifold from the US. To my surprise, when it arrived it also had a downpipe on it. Sweet.

So a brand new stainless steel manifold, with 2 downpipes and a new O2 sensor sat in the barn for ages waiting to be fitted. Luckily I never got round to it, as the track prelude has now gone, so this weekend, I got someone to fit them on Midfe for me at the garage he works at (WAY easier than trying to do it with the car on axle stands), as her manifold wasn't looking too good.

Before -
Image Image

And after -
Image Image

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 am

As some of y'all will have seen, I put her up for sale, as I'm in a financial bind. However, I just couldn't do it, so took down all the ads. I've found a place to store her securely, free of charge, and so I can cancel her tax and insurance, which will help a bit financially. Does mean I won't be working on her for the foreseeable future, but at least she's still mine

Return to “Lude Profiles”