Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

The 'look at what I did today' thread

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:37 pm

The reflection of the pug in the background there is giving me nightmares.

Tried to do the wife's Peugeot 207 front crank oil seal today. The new seal went in too far (no shoulder on block) then the rear lip of the seal got caught/hooked on the chain that drives the oil pump. Had to destroy the seal to get the old one out. Nice 60 odd mile round trip to Basingstoke tomorrow to get another one (getting 2 just in case, cheap enough).

If that doesn't fix the mysterious oil leak - then its new car time... If i don't fix it tomorrow, wife has to drive the lude, so better get it done! Replaced the engine on the pug last year at 127k miles, had a full top end headset and gasket, belts tensioners and a waterpump, thought it would be set for at least another couple of years - but 13k later the leak ate away the alternator belt so needs addressing.

Should be working on the lude instead!
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

andy50herts

Post by andy50herts » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Had to buy a new rear tyre today, an inside edge puncture to the tyre..............one bridgestone s001 and £110 later and all is good again

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 pm

What engine in that pug?

It was totally incidental it being there BTW - I hadn't even noticed it tbh! All eyes elsewhere...

EDIT: Actually, from the description, I'm going to guess that the 207 engine is one of the PRINCE units, as used in the BMW Mini

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Nopes - its the pug engine. KFU (aka et3j something or other). 56plate (the first year) 16v dohc, variable inlet timing sprocket jobby. Couple of years later they were onto the bmw units...

put it all back together, started it up, ran rough - timing was off, Realised i had locked the crank in the wrong position, turns out there is a small inspection window just a little way around from the official locking hole on the block. stupid design. Re timed it all up and it started fine. Greeted a few moment later by the oil welling up just below the head/block interface :(

So a wasted weekend, and now a super clean engine bay / ancillaries, about to get covered in oil again :( not worth doing the HG, that'll be another weekend and at least 100quid for the parts (plus the bolts and any fluids/sundries). Trying not to persuade myself...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 am

Scott560 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:01 pm
Greeted a few moment later by the oil welling up just below the head/block interface
That's weird! Rocker cover leaks aren't uncommon but from the head gasket is odd?

Odd having so many issues tbh - the TU engine is proper solid old lump. It's the PRINCE units that aren't great, really.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 am

The old engine died from a HG oil leak, front left corner by timing belt at 127kmiles. got a new lower mileage engine, whilst it was out of the car had new headset and it was done properly.

friend at work, same car, 1 year newer, had HG replaced by a garage not so many years ago, already leaking badly in the same place.

even if i put a new HG on, took time to choose high quality gasket, and went for a precautionary skim, no assurance it wont leak within a year (wife does about 15k/year) so not worth doing. Shame really as the rest of the car is holding up better than the brand would suggest (all electrics/switchgear/trim/drivetrain/suspension, no rust at all).

Mrs Scott560 isn't a petrol head though, so the next addition is unlikely to be an interesting car - perhaps a 2012-2016 honda civic...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Max

Post by Max » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Replaced the oil cooler o ring on the type s which was a PITA until i realised i could use some thick grease to hold the new o ring in place, only then to realise after a bit of googling that there is another one behind the bracket that the oil cooler bolts to, fingers crossed that doesn't need doing as well... :crazy:

andy50herts

Post by andy50herts » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Full detail on my car today - looking so much better now

andy50herts

Post by andy50herts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Oil and filter change today

andy50herts

Post by andy50herts » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:44 am

Todays tasks - new oil filler cap, chrome Mugen style, front strut brace, new 8mm ignition leads and a pipercross panel filter

Return to “General Chat”