Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Slow, hard to trace oil leak

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 pm

vanzep wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm
Thats good that they gave done all the seals you mention but it sounds like your guy might have found the culprit being a loose oil filter.
Your right about old oil still kicking about but give it a good clean all round the top of the block and gearbox - just use some kitchen roll or cloth and scrub the old crap out dont use any spray or cleaner just dry cloths-after this way you will be able to see whats if anything is leaking ontop - ideally get under the car at some point and clean the underside. Then put down some paper or cardboard. Only then will you be satisfied. :)
Yeah I have tried to clean it up as best I can, to be fair, TGM did as well. I have a feeling it is still leaking. I went under there yesterday and there was a black drip hanging from the housing underneath again. The only thing is, the oil in the car is not black as it is fresh. I cleaned it up again in the hope the drip was just from old oil kicking about but I am not hopeful.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm

If it had been leaking out of the oil filter, he'd have been able to confirm that for sure while he was under the car.

As for the crank seal - yep, if he's looked up inside the bell housing through that cover being removed and no oil, then you're safe.

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm
If it had been leaking out of the oil filter, he'd have been able to confirm that for sure while he was under the car.

As for the crank seal - yep, if he's looked up inside the bell housing through that cover being removed and no oil, then you're safe.
I was under the car with him. The flywheel was indeed dry and didn't have any oil on it. I wouldn't say the inside of the housing was exactly clean though, but I suppose you wouldn't expect it to be. It certainly wasn't wet though.

As for the oil filter, he couldn't be sure it was leaking from there. On the Type S it is in a different place to usual and a right pain to get access to. I think it's because the ATTS is in the way.

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 pm

:twisted: i knew ATTS would be to blame in someway - wouldnt be surprised if it was the atts unit that was leaking the black oil :lol:
only kidding :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Oil filter change in type s is easier than the normal h22. Just reach in from the top passenger side, grab and screw. Once you have done that you're ready to reach into the preludes engine bay and takle the oil filter. :hurr:

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 am

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 pm
Oil filter change in type s is easier than the normal h22. Just reach in from the top passenger side, grab and screw. Once you have done that you're ready to reach into the preludes engine bay and takle the oil filter. :hurr:
Yeah I don't think TGM realised this at first but in the end they did and approached it from the top. Whoever fitted the oil filter before probably didn't and did not tighten it properly as a result. I doubt this was the cause of the leak though.

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:10 am

Thought I better update this for everyone incase people have similar issues. I gave more detail in my Type S thread but in short, I was leaking from the rear main seal and the cambelt area. PAW have sorted it all but these are labour intensive jobs so it wasn't cheap.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”