Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4th Gen - Fitting JDM EL Dials in a Pre-Facelift JDM, help?

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
arif_manji
My Generation: 4G

4th Gen - Fitting JDM EL Dials in a Pre-Facelift JDM, help?

Post by arif_manji » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi guy,

I've recently bought a 1993 JDM 4th Gen 2.2i VTEC LSD Auto with TCS 4WS and would like to fit EL dials in it.

I've been looking at info on google inc video's on YouTube but still have some concerns before I attempt it.

I've got the complete kit bought from preludemanh22 from his BB4 JDM facelift breaker:
- EL dials with silver box
- Fuel and Temp Gauges (just in case mine isn't compatible)
- Complete dash loom

Some are saying its 'Plug & play' and some are saying wires need to be cut etc.

My concerns are...
1) My Prelude has TCS, the EL dash loom may now have the TCS switch connector plug
2) My Prelude bizarrely doesn't have a dash dimmer switch? Although it dims itself when you switch on the lights - how would that work?
3) The Prelude the EL dash loom came out of may not have had 4WS?

Is this worth doing or will I run into big problems? :?
My Cars:
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 GR PRO
Addictions...
1996 4th Gen Honda Prelude 2.2i VTEC (UK Spec - Converted from a H23A)
1993 4th Gen Honda Prelude 2.2i VTEC Auto LSD (JDM)
Image Image Image

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 pm

It -can- be plug and play, if the two cars are the same spec. Mine was as it was UK Pre to UK Post and we only got one flavour over here.
As you're discovering, it's loom differences that may cause slight issues, as in if you want to keep your TCS but the 'new' loom doesn't have that in it? (I'm not sure if they made general looms as such and just didn't plug in certain parts if the options weren't there, but I suspect not.
As for the fuel/temp gauges, it's the dimmer box behind them that makes the difference. The original is a box shape, the EL one is a sort of L shape. If you don't have a dimmer?.... could it be that the plug for it is on the new loom and you'll just need to source a switch?
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:50 pm

bennyboy wrote:It -can- be plug and play, if the two cars are the same spec. Mine was as it was UK Pre to UK Post and we only got one flavour over here.
As you're discovering, it's loom differences that may cause slight issues, as in if you want to keep your TCS but the 'new' loom doesn't have that in it? (I'm not sure if they made general looms as such and just didn't plug in certain parts if the options weren't there, but I suspect not.
As for the fuel/temp gauges, it's the dimmer box behind them that makes the difference. The original is a box shape, the EL one is a sort of L shape. If you don't have a dimmer?.... could it be that the plug for it is on the new loom and you'll just need to source a switch?
I would definitely want to keep the TCS and have just assumed that its in the dash loom. I've manage to get the dimmer box that sits next to the fuel/temp gauge. But apparently, the dimmer switch plug connector isn't in the dash loom, its in the main interior loom (preludeman22 was saying),
My Cars:
Addictions...
Image Image Image

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:21 pm

arif_manji wrote:2) My Prelude bizarrely doesn't have a dash dimmer switch? Although it dims itself when you switch on the lights - how would that work?

2, yeah, mine is the same, the dimmer function and the clocks going dimmer when the lights are on are separate systems.

3, Your new clocks will be missing the 4WS light, you'll need to add this somehow if you want to keep it and sort out the relevant wiring too. Have a look in the wiring diagrams in the service manual.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Best thing you can probably do, is take the dials and gauges out, pop out the switches where needed (sunroof etc) and connect up the new loom. The plugs are pretty much individual so you shouldn't plug anything in wrong.
It sounds a nightmare, but it's really not. Then yo can compare what you have with what you need etc.
One of those things that you just need to get stuck in and do. :lol:

I did exactly this with mine, to check everything worked, before actually removing the old loom and feeding the new one in.
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
arif_manji wrote:2) My Prelude bizarrely doesn't have a dash dimmer switch? Although it dims itself when you switch on the lights - how would that work?

2, yeah, mine is the same, the dimmer function and the clocks going dimmer when the lights are on are separate systems.

3, Your new clocks will be missing the 4WS light, you'll need to add this somehow if you want to keep it and sort out the relevant wiring too. Have a look in the wiring diagrams in the service manual.
Thanks, ill have a look through it.
bennyboy wrote:Best thing you can probably do, is take the dials and gauges out, pop out the switches where needed (sunroof etc) and connect up the new loom. The plugs are pretty much individual so you shouldn't plug anything in wrong.
It sounds a nightmare, but it's really not. Then yo can compare what you have with what you need etc.
One of those things that you just need to get stuck in and do. :lol:

I did exactly this with mine, to check everything worked, before actually removing the old loom and feeding the new one in.
I think your right mate, I think on the new loom I'd need to put in the TSC and 4WS (if it doesn't have it) connectors in. I'm assuming ill be following the wires from the plug to the harness, removing the pins from the main plug and adding them into the new main plug?
My Cars:
Addictions...
Image Image Image

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm in the same boat, I have TCS and 4WS. The Dials have 4WS bulb section at the back I was thinking it might be possible to put a bulb in that section with attachment wire from the 4WS wires.

The TCS runs straight off the ECU so should be easy enough to run the connections from the ECU...im yet to get hands into this. Let me know how you get on and I will do likewise.

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:36 pm

sol-lude wrote:I'm in the same boat, I have TCS and 4WS. The Dials have 4WS bulb section at the back I was thinking it might be possible to put a bulb in that section with attachment wire from the 4WS wires.

The TCS runs straight off the ECU so should be easy enough to run the connections from the ECU...im yet to get hands into this. Let me know how you get on and I will do likewise.
I will do mate, when are you planning to do yours? I received the new EL loom today so slowing studying what's missing. I'll take out the loom out of mine and slowly follow it through.

I have another dilemma, my JDM Prelude has ABS, the new EL loom came off a Prelude that doesn't have ABS. Is this a separate system like the TCS?

I am also thinking if its a good idea to find a UKDM facelift EL dash loom and then I just need to sort out the TCS and the auto controls? What do you guys think - I'm definitely up for the challenge! lol :D
My Cars:
Addictions...
Image Image Image

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm

I will be looking at mine over the next few days, it seems I may need beer to get me through this one haha... as for the ABS this again is the same as mine, I will need to get hands on and have a diagram with me as im working on the whole thing, I also have the converter chip in mine which I believe I shouldn't need going forward.

I might actually have a look at it tonight and start working out whats what. The issue with where I got the dash and loom the car was a mash up anyway and in bits so I think I may have a challenge also.

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 am

Had a look at the wires and seems there are quite a number of wires that will need to be taken off the old loom and integrated into the new loom.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”