Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4th Gen - Fitting JDM EL Dials in a Pre-Facelift JDM, help?

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
sol-lude
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:00 am

yeah just what Bennyboy has said. I will be tackling this in the next week as I have some time off :O rarity as it is. I will try my best to do a full write up.

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 am

1st snag and I'm a bit confuzzled. It seems that the original tweeter speakers have been fed up to the top of the dash and split off from the dash loom. Has anyone had this before? Just think I'll cut and join them again but if I can get away with not cutting them I'd prefer it. Any ideas?

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Hey sol-lude hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread just didn't seem worth doing another when there was a similar fresh one going on ;)

I've been at mine today and got pretty close but hit a bit of a pickle.
So the wiring loom was easy to sort and as i read i pre installed the new loom and left it on the outer dash whilst leaving the old loom still in place just incase of hiccups and the car is a daily at the moment so wanted to take my time and pick an off day for it.
All went good disconnect and reconnect the plugs simples,grounded the Black wire on the passenger side to the chassis all seemed right but when i turned it on the fuel/temp gauges were blurry half light and dim,the Red needles on the speedo were off and the Speedometer dull and No odometer lighting to tell me the mileage,so i don't have a dimmer switch but do have the plugs but not bothered at the moment so i plugged out the dimmer relay/box? to the left of the fuel/temp gauges and turned it all on again and voila everything lit up nice and proper,needles/odometer everything perfect for a second,so the wipers come on upon turning the key either way and the dash displays that the Full beam is on :lol: ,now the headlights don't work with key in or out and the headlights switch on the steering stick turns on and off the wipers whilst the wipers switch on the other stick does nothing turn signal does nothing either hazards work.

I put everything back to normal with the crappy broken cluster and it does the same now,wipers on constant and no stick controls so it's not the newer cluster.

So how have i messed up the basically the whole steering stick control section,lights/wipers and turn signal :facepalm:

I need the car back good for Monday runs argh and working most of tomorrow so it's tight.

I did blow a 20A fuse somewhere along the way, replaced it and hasn't blown again.

Any help at all would be great,i have some pics handy

Dimmer relay?left plugged in,no needles or odometer reading

Unplugged odometer/needles back and gauges full light up

Fuel/temp display struggles with dimmer relay plugged in

Clearer shot of odometer and needles working normal

These 2 wires beside the tweeter wires are they just for the cabin temp sensor on top of the right side of the dash then?

Funny the wipers made me jump when i turned it on first :lol:,bit over them now!
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:27 pm

sorry I haven't been ignoring you and yes I had looked at what you have posted and from what I can tell there has been a crossover of a wire or two...I know there are issues with the additional earth so that's what i'm going to go with try and make sure these earths have a good clean connection.

Im starting the wire switching tonight.

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 pm

I went over the earth connection a few times,when bad or not connected the 2 turn signals will stay on,they turn off when a good contact is made.
Best of luck,you'll probably walk through it,just my bad luck once again :lol:
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Greg-SiR let me know how you get on I've plugged all mine in and I have some power...im charging battery however your temp dial looks similar to what mine does.

sol-lude

Re: 4th Gen - Fitting JDM EL Dials in a Pre-Facelift JDM, h

Post by sol-lude » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:58 am

Can someone help me ahhhhhrg I have power to my fuel temp gauge however the fuel and temp gauges are non existent in the middle.
I have successfully been able to move the tcs and can switch it on and off with no issues.
The EL dials don't seem to come on however I have dim needles. Then when you turn off the ignition it all lights up quickly (everything fuel and temp clear as day) then goes off because I have turned the ignition off?
wurlycorner vtecmec

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:51 am

Really sounds like some kind of iffy earth issue perhaps?
On mine, there was one extra earth, over on the passenger side footwell area, bt to be fair mine had no real spec variations between non EL and EL. I did initially have issues with the dials not coming up but I think that was down to the extra earth as it was all solved in the end.
Have you tried a different inverter box (behind drivers tweeter) and a different dimming module? I take it you replaced the non EL one for the EL 'L' shaped one?
It could be that you have damaged something during the wiring process of course :(

EDIT to say: I think I'd be inclined to isolate different areas - so unplug the fuel and temp gauges and see if you can get any joy with the dials and vice versa. I know there are crossovers of course but if you get different results from disconnecting different elements, it may help lead to the issue.
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Right one step forward I believe. I have found if I pull the 3rd plug in on the temp/fuel gauge and touch the connection I get everything bar the clock on. Same with the dials I have the indicators working as they should full beam and everything but nothing from the mph etc.
I didn't install the inventor box behind the tweeterz as I didn't think it was going to be needed or am I wrong?
Mine didn't have a dimmer but it now has the L shaped one in.
bennyboy I really appreciate the help and any more would be very well received haha.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Yeah the EL dials need the inverter box to run, it's a silver metal box from memory. I'd obviously start with that and then see whats changed, if the fuel gauges still behave the same I'm thinking you got a crossed earth as such, maybe added one too many :lol:
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”