Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Steering Column Sticks No Worky

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Steering Column Sticks No Worky

Post by Greg-SiR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:06 am

So a few may have seen on the El cluster swap i am without functioning stick controls since,wipers stay on all the time and the full main beam says it's on constant and the headlights don't work plus add no turn signal so basically anything on the steering wheel sticks is gone.
I have swapped all fuses and nothing.
Swapped back in the old cluster and it's the exact same so something is gone on the car.
Is there a fuse or relay for the cloumn controls that i may have missed?i have been over the fuse boxes in and out,damn frustrating.
Car starts fine and everything else with the new cluster is good.
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Only similar issue ive had was recently when i replaced the centre console and either forgot to connect the front fog switch or hadnt fully clicked it into place - the headlights went wonky - was all sorted once id reseated the connector securely. Worth mentioning ;)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for the input vanzep,it is possible i pulled something out of place too as the old loom was a bitch to pull through the little gap and i have the alarm all hooked up down the fuse box side so a bit of push and pull.
At the moment im looking to get an electrician out Thursday,will check over the foglight tip though,has to be something.
95 Lighty Bb4

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 am

I had a sparky out today and he's gone the route of the main control board been blown after a full check.
Grabbed the last one at the wreckers earlier,fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Expensive little upgrade in the end but the car is the daily so it deserves a little spend and it was upkeep after all as the needles were buggered in the original,thats what i tell the missus anyway ;)
Still amiss on how it happened,if it is this that is!

95 Lighty Bb4

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Hopefully you get it all up and running mate. I will be attacking mine again tonight after an interesting start...that tape is sticky as hell.

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:19 pm

More time and $$ wasted,same issue with the swapped fuse boards in,nuts,nuts and more nuts :(
95 Lighty Bb4

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Add another Auto electrician to the list now and still can't trace it WTF!!
Real nice guy i left the car with him for most of today and he had to throw in the towel,reckoned a bad earth somewhere and it would take days to find in the loom but charged nothing for the labour,made my day that,he even swapped looms and clusters back to old too in the effort and opened the loom up a bit in the search but failed,there is some nice folk out there 8-)
Might be putting it up for sale anyway soon,just over it all but need some funding for the new family speedster too so maybe it's it's calling :(
95 Lighty Bb4

sol-lude

Post by sol-lude » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:11 pm

mate i'm really sorry to hear that. It does not seem like you are having the best of times - I should hopefully be having mine up and running after I found out I was missing a section of the dash harness.

So the dash now no longer lights up with the new or old loom in place?
I presume that you have changed the larger relays in the engine bay?

Also I would presume the autosparkies would know but this is what I followed for these

"yellow 6 pin connector. One of the pins is not connected, so you have:

Green/Blue tracer - Left indicator +ve
Red/Yellow tracer - High Beam On
Reb/Blue tracer - High Beam On
Green/Yellow tracer - Right indicator +ve
No Wire
Black - Ground "

these should be the ones that control the lights etc

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks sol-lude,was reading you were missing a piece with the Green plug on the inverter at least you know what you need just to find that section now.
The same symptoms with the stalks on the 2 looms and clusters plugged in,the El lights up perfect,needles,odometer background,fuel/temp gauges all good.

Old cluster does the exact same,full beam on displayed yet no lights work and the rest the same.
Can you tell me more on the changing to larger relays in the engine bay and the yellow 6 pin connector?

I swapped all relays over from the bb4 which runs El gauges as standard to see if there was any duds and that came back null, do they need to be changed to a different spec for the older Preludes or something?i'm a bit lost on that and no searching brought me close to this route.

I don't have a Yellow 6 pin connector on the loom is that the stalks one in at the steering column then?
I have yet to take this apart..

I'm not throwing in the towel yet,even though my pulled neck is just getting right after been twisted under the steering column for 2 nights in a row over a week ago :lol:
95 Lighty Bb4

sol-lude

Re: Steering Column Sticks No Worky

Post by sol-lude » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:14 am

Alright mate, I assume you earthed the extra wire at the passenger side and unplugged the dimmer unit?

The yellow plug is below this is the one that controls the lights the indicators etc these are the ones I would follow or separate from the loom and trace for any burnt wires. Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”