Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

IAC Valve picture?

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 am

I think he means constantly @ 1K rpm instead of 750rpm. Again the FITV should be left IMO, its a pain in the butt to get to due to the bolts being vertical under the trottle body. When I cleaned my one out the o-rings had stuck to to the bit where the FITV comes off and I nearly lost them.

Clean it if you dare but you wont see and difference unless you had problems in the first place.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah Pushki, if you're not looking to solve an issue, there's no point removing it. There's a very fine filter mesh in there that you won't want to risk damaging.

However if you insist on cleaning it, it's very simple just to remove and blast some carb cleaner though it. Just remove the connections and unbolt it. As I said though, be careful not to damage the filter and be careful the filter doesn't drop out when you remove it. Chances are it will need prying off due to oxidization, so make sure it doesn't go flying.

I can't recall if there's a spring in there, but it's a fairly straight forward device.

Also I think there's a gasket, so by removing it you run the risk of damaging that to.

JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Pushki wrote:Isn't that a good thing that your idle is constant? :?

Okay, I'll leave it alone. :cry:
What about the FITV? Should I clean/adjust that?
There should be a hot idle (~1500RPM?) and a cold idle (~750RPM?). Mine sits constantly at 1000RPM (as Merlin said).

Although just what caused this I don't know, it may just be the FITV? As far as I'm aware JDMs don't have the IACV so it can't be that on mine :lol:

But if it's all working I'd recommend just leaving them! These FITV/IACV bits seem to be the causes of quite a few problems so the less tinkering with them the better.
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Jay could it be your base idle screw has been mucked about with? What happens when you disconnect your IACV? does it return to 750rpm?

^^ you got your hot and cold the wrong way round ;)

Pushki
Supporter 2015
PSN GamerTag: Luigi_Black

Post by Pushki » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Okay. It's all working fine. I just thought I could do some preventative maintenance.
I'll leave it all alone and find something else to concentrate on. Thanks guys! ;)
ImageImageImage

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Right, so where's the IACV? Is it on the intake chamber just next to the throttle body? The FITV is under the throttle body.

The manual says when cold, if idle too high it could be: the FITV, the EACV(IACV), or the idle screw.

It also says if the idle is too high when warm it could be: EACV(IACV), FITV, idle screw, p/s oil pressure switch (??), or the vacuum hoses.

I'm going to disregard the hoses and p/s oil pressure switch. When it's warm, I may just turn the idle screw until the idle drops down to ~750 and see what it's like when cold. If it's correct when warm and too low when cold then surely it must be the FITV.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:29 pm

The IACV is on the front of the intake manifold on the right hand side. FITV probelms are commonly when the car is cold. Once warm if you have idles issues its commonly the IACV. Before you go adjusting the base idle screw (something you want to aviod unless it is absolutely necessary), disconnect the IACV while the engine is running. If the revs fall to normal levels then there is something up with the IACV.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Cheers Merlin. I'll disconnect the EACV when I get home tonight and the engine is warm, although I have a feeling that it is actually caused by the FITV.

If the FITV isn't opening fully it could be raising the fast idle to only 1000 RPM, and not closing properly and lowering the idle (i.e. not letting the IACV do it's job).

The manual states how to check if the FITV is working, but not how to adjust (as it's factory set). Is there a way we can naughtily sidestep this?

p.s Pushki - this is why you don't play with these bits :lol:

Pushki
Supporter 2015
PSN GamerTag: Luigi_Black

Post by Pushki » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

JayJay wrote:p.s Pushki - this is why you don't play with these bits :lol:
Noted! :D
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Chat”