Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Blue Beauty from Malaysia

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 am

Absolutely fine by me Simon, they would just sit in the garage tbh.
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

simonc
Supporter 2016

Re: Blue Beauty from Malaysia

Post by simonc » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 am

@bb1boy, morning Adam and so sorry I haven't replied to your offer. Just been so damn hectic here that I haven't logged on for a while. I'll send you a pm to ask for your details and we'll get the money sorted. Once again, I'm really grateful for this fab offer. ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:28 am

Finally got my hands on the shock absorber bushing kit that I bought from the wonderful Mr Nathan yonks ago. Anyway, last Tuesday I made an appointment with Jason to get them fitted and boy, have they made a difference.

Here's the kit - Cheers @NafemanNathan
Here's the sorry looking bushes that were pulled out - utterly knackered.
Here's Chris, the new lad doing the rebuilding work.
We used every part in the kit
And here's one we rebuilt earlier
Ready to be put back.

Anyway, it's all been done and while the car was with them, I got Jason to change the engine oil, fit a new filter and also changed the auto transmission fluid while they were at it.
The bushing has transformed the car. Astonishing. No squeaks, no creaks and moans - absolutely brilliant. Now I don't pretend to know a lot about all this mechanical malarkey but I know a different handling car when I feel it. It's lovely. The front is so much 'tighter' and responsive to the steering. As I was away most of last week, I couldn't get the alignment done but earlier this afternoon, I went down and got the wheels aligned so all is well and hunky dory. Gentlemen, I highly recommend these bushes to you all. If a dimwit like me can feel the difference, I'm sure you guys would be as pleased as I am with them. Cheers Nathan. I love 'em,. :D

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:36 am

Glad they've made such a transformation :D

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:38 am

They have Nathan. Honest, like night and day. I'm really chuffed with them. A fab investment. Thanks for flogging them to me. :D

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:07 am

It's a nice upgrade eh! Enjoy. 8-)
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

simonc
Supporter 2016

Purists look away, I'm a 2WS guy now...

Post by simonc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:25 am

Hello all and hope you're all fighting fit. Sorry about the radio silence, just so much work and as this is the 'let's visit Simon' season, I've been the genial host to a collection of family and friends.
Now I know that some of you won't be happy about this but I felt compelled to do it. We just could not get the damn thing to work properly and we've been disappearing up our own backsides with the technicalities of the 4WS that was there. Not only that, there was a horrible, annoying and frankly baffling 'clunk' coming from the 4WS box which was driving me crackers. We thought about it long and hard and came to the conclusion it had to go. Sorry to all of you that wanted me to keep it stock but rather than faffing about, I gave Jason the go-ahead to strip it off and fit the 2WS instead. Here's the story.

So here's the subframe we bought. Needs the simonc touch as I don't want that mucky thing on my car.
First job, stripped, cleaned and liberally coated with primer
Baking in 36 degree heat.
A bit Blue Peter, I know but cleaned these up in a bath of HP Sauce. Came up a treat.
Black is the new black, I say.
And the arms as well. Note amateur masking.
Into the shop and disconnect the damn thing.
Out she comes - je ne regrette rien.
Didn't realise it was so bloody heavy.
That's off t'scrappy
Naked back end
The marriage - till death do you part.
Right arm in situ.
And t'other in place.
Ta-Dah!

I am pleased to report that all clunking has ended and after the alignment (On 2WS settings, natch), she drives beautifully. :D
Actually, I'm thrilled to bits as the constant pratting about, warning lights, clunking and worrying is now over. Yes, I agree that it now isn't what it was, but I'm happy I did the right thing and am comfortable I've done the right thing. :D
Anyway, hope you like the shots and if anyone else is planning on doing it, hope they might be helpful to you. ;)

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:32 am

It's a sad thing, but you clearly gave fixing it a really good go! Glad that she's no longer causing you worry :) Just be aware your turning circle has doubled :D
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Was just thinking has anyone weighed these 4ws subframes?must be damn heavy.
Nice job,less clunks is always the way.
Strip out the control unit now and and that 4ws check light on the dash and your done.
I remember taking out my sunroof assembly on the old 4g and the weight of it!Luxuries if you call them that come at a high price,Kilo's :lol:
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 am

indigolemon wrote:It's a sad thing, but you clearly gave fixing it a really good go! Glad that she's no longer causing you worry :) Just be aware your turning circle has doubled :D
Hey buddy, yeah I know what you're saying about the 'package' that no longer is. But honestly, the number of times we've faffed around with it was driving me up the bloody wall. To be totally up front, since I didn't know whether the 4WS was on or off I was a bit scared it was going to have an electronic freak-out on me while I was on a high speed blast to Singapore. I've seen some of the shots of mangled cars and I really lost confidence in it.
It does feel a little more 'barge-esque' when I'm parking but other than that, as the 4WS has been on the fritz for so long, I'm pretty used to it by now. Bottom line is that I'm chuffed we did it so swiftly once we'd committed to it and, it gave me another chance to tart up some parts and also watch and learn from Jason a bit more about the underneath of a car. ;)

Return to “Lude Profiles”