Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

3rd Gen Accord

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

3rd Gen Accord

Post by jjmartin349571 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 pm

**edited to have a more up to date profile pic**

Hi Folks,

Picked up the latest car I'm taking on today :) you may have seen some pics I posted in another thread, but here she is out in the light of day

Even after years in storage it really shifts, can't wait to get it on the road 8-) needs to be taxed and tested, but first need to sort out the seized brakes and get it idling right when up to temp. And figure out why the ALB light is intermittently flashing (could be because of the seized brakes?). Not too much to tackle though, so I'm hoping I should be out in it very soon :D
Last edited by jjmartin349571 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Yeah!!! :D Nice one bud! :) Welcome to the club ;-)

What engine has she got?

Crazy_C
My Generation: 3G

Post by Crazy_C » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Welcome along fellow 3rd gen Accord owner :D They are brilliant cars! What engine has yours got in it, and is it carb'd or injected?

If your ALB light is flickering, a seized calliper would almost certainly throw the ALB light up. I would say check the brake bulbs as well, as mine did that when a bulb was out (it actually has 3 warning lights for a blown brake bulb - brake light warning, alb warning, and handbrake warning lights!!!!!!!)

As for the idling, have a look on the throttle body. You should see a screw on the driver's side of the TB on the front side. Let the car get warm, and then adjust this screw. It should sort the idle out for you.
4thgenphil wrote:you're odd and that made me crap myself!
RattyMcClelland wrote:Dom with a fag in his mouth. A rare sight. :lol:
nitin_s1 wrote:I am Nitin, motha fucka!
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

Crazy_C

Post by Crazy_C » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 pm

NafemanNathan wrote:Yeah!!! :D Nice one bud! :) Welcome to the club ;-)

What engine has she got?
I like how both Nathan and I ask about the engine right at the start! :lol:
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Crazy_C wrote:
NafemanNathan wrote:Yeah!!! :D Nice one bud! :) Welcome to the club ;-)

What engine has she got?
I like how both Nathan and I ask about the engine right at the start! :lol:
It would have only been one of us had you read what I wrote :roll: :lol:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Re: 3rd Gen Accord

Post by jjmartin349571 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Cheers guys :D we'll have to start our own secret 3rd Gen Accord section :twisted: :lol:

It's an '87 GSi, so it has a B20A2 iirc, which is PGM-FI :)

Cheers Dom, I reckon it's a seized calliper as the brake light warning bulb on the crazy retro car diagram thing isn't lit up. I'll double check though, always best to start with the simple stuff. Didn't realise the idle could be adjusted by a screw either! That's handy to know, I'll give it a shot next time I'm at the lockup, see if it cures the idle problem.

I honestly can't wait to get out in this properly, I swear the older a car is the more fun it is to drive! :lol:

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:12 pm

It's got a B in it?! :mrgreen:

Got any more pics?

Crazy_C

Post by Crazy_C » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 pm

If it's an '87, and a SOHC, it'll be the A20A, and quite probably the A20A4 (A4 is non-cat, A3 had a cat) It was generally the later models and the few lucky buggers in Japan who had the B20 engines, but that was in the late '88 and '89 models only from memory.

If your engine looks like this, it's an A20A:

As for the idle issues, yea, it's great having that screw. I dropped my idle right down so it would pass the emissions part of the MOT (I have a stage 1 cam and I'm running slightly rich) but after the MOT, I pulled my idle back up again :D

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 pm

NafemanNathan wrote:It's got a B in it?! :mrgreen:

Got any more pics?
Haha yeah I've driven it about 2 miles today and I'm already in love with that engine :D

Not got any other photos I'm afraid, other than the ones from before I collected it :( I was meant to be working today rather than gawping at my Accord so only took the one :lol: I'll try and get back over the lockup at the weekend to get some photos better 8-)

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Crazy_C wrote:If it's an '87, and a SOHC, it'll be the A20A, and quite probably the A20A4 (A4 is non-cat, A3 had a cat) It was generally the later models and the few lucky buggers in Japan who had the B20 engines, but that was in the late '88 and '89 models only from memory.

If your engine looks like this, it's an A20A:

As for the idle issues, yea, it's great having that screw. I dropped my idle right down so it would pass the emissions part of the MOT (I have a stage 1 cam and I'm running slightly rich) but after the MOT, I pulled my idle back up again :D
It's not an A series, definitely a DOHC B series. There were a handful of GSi models built over the course of a year or so, they all received this engine :) it's just the A2 part I'm not 100% sure on, but when I had the bonnet open earlier it was definitely DOHC and fuel injected 8-)

And yeah screws like those are magic, the Golf has one that I used to exactly the same effect :lol: obviously this Accord must be in MOT mode, perfect :twisted:

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”