Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

spoke to tuners today, here's what they say

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 am

I'd posted this it the wrong thread foolishly enough.

Merlin's gone and covered it now anyway, but I thought I might as well paste what I had written across...

The H22a7 has a mild factory port & polish, but if you're looking for proper gains I'd look to get a proper race spec p&p. Going to cost around £800, but if you're wanting in excess of 250bhp then you're going to need it.

And yes, 68mm throttle body (at the mating face) is pretty much the limit for running it with an ATR inlet manifold. You'll have to port match the inlet manifold, but you risk breaking out into the FITV gubbings if you go any larger than 68mm.

Also Hondata S300 is your best bet for tuning all this to a high standard, and this is installed into a P28 (or P72 or P30) ecu.

Again Skunk2 Pro 2 cams or the like are going to be required if you want around 250 brake. Stage 1 or ATR/Type-S cams are only going to see you to the mid 240's max.

Teddy92110
My Generation: 4G

Post by Teddy92110 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am

Merlin wrote:
Teddy92110 wrote:So my initial mods to start off with was just a full exhaust system thinking it will get me 220 ish bhp. But speaking to tuners they have recommeded me these mods:
- full custom made exhaust including manifold and decat (got a quote today for £1000)
- accord type r throttle body
- accord type r inlet manifold
- accord type r heads and cams ( been quoted 750 fitted)
- some tuners say hondata s300 ecu and some say p28 ecu with hondata or crome (whats the main difference?)

So with all these mods, should i achieve the 240-250 bhp that i want? And is there more that can be done such as bigger fuel pump and injectors?

Please give your thoughts and tell me if theres anything else i should be looking at.
You have a JDM import 4th gen?

Just a full exhaust system - without tuning you'll be looking at more like 210-215 IMO. You might get a bit more if you fit a chip to your current ECU.

With all the other bits (ATR head + cams + IM + TB) and a tune I think you will be in the 230bhp range going by other peoples past builds. You'll be limited by the 10.6:1 comp pistons. Add 11:1 comp pistons and you might see 240bhp.

If you want 250bhp you will need (on top of the list above) 11:1 comp pistons, stage 2 camshafts + upgraded valve train, 68mm TB, probably some head work etc... Plus gearbox and diff and all the other enabling bits.

If you go higher than that it is (on top of the list above) 11.5:1 comp pistons, new rods, stage 2 camshafts + upgraded valve train, 68mm TB, deffo head work etc... Plus gearbox and diff and all the other enabling bits.

The P28 is the ECU (from a Civic). Hondata and Crome are tuning packages, chips or boards added to the ECU to allow it to be tuned. Crome is the cheaper open source software, Hondata is the "premium" choice. Most go for Hondata.

Donald wrote:Am I right in thinking Merlin is pretty much at the ceiling of what you can achieve N/A without spending big big money? Although I wouldn't like to think what Merlin's motor would cost to build.
Yup most of the higher end H22's PAW produce make around 270 bhp. You are pretty much looking at double figures.
Good info there thanks. I dont want people to get the wrong idea here, that im looking for instant horsepower in a short space of time, hopefully this prelude is staying so all the mods will be done accordingly to money. My starting point is a full exhaust then tb and im then remap, then cams and head then another remap. Process should take around 6 months. But it will be achieved. One thing i noticed no one has mentioned a fuel pump upgrade....if i am looking to upgrade that am i looking at a walbaro fuel pump? And what size injectors shall i stick in?

Teddy92110

Post by Teddy92110 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:43 am

Donald wrote:I suggest you go back and read your posts on page two.

Nothing wrong with doing it on the strip, but that's not what you made the case out to be.

Age has nothing to do with it.

Just telling it like I see it ;)
Just drop it mate

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:50 am

Teddy92110 wrote:One thing i noticed no one has mentioned a fuel pump upgrade....if i am looking to upgrade that am i looking at a walbaro fuel pump? And what size injectors shall i stick in?
If you are wanting 230 bhp the OEM fuel pump and injectors should do fine.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Teddy92110

Post by Teddy92110 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:56 am

ATR84 wrote:If this strip you talk of is a public road it might be a good idea not to put things like that on a public forum. If it's a private track, fair enough.

My opinion on street racing is that it is for idiots. Risking your own life is one thing, but risking lives of others is sheer stupidity.
This strip has been around 15 years maybe longer. Mercutio probably knows about it too. And its on a private industrial estate and its one long straight stretch where people bring there cars every friday for a racing event. You dont just get civics you get all sorts like nissan bluebirds with rb26det engine conversions and suped up diesels and lots more. But my point was that i want my lude to be spanking civics atleast when i race my car cos them civics be pushing quite a bit beating turbo cars. And i want my car atleast to outperform a shitty megane turbo (no offense if someone has one) as people be bringing them too. Theres about 3 locations but the main is the eccles strip search it on youtube you should find something

Teddy92110

Post by Teddy92110 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:59 am

And as for street racing im not a big fan as i do care about the public and constantly be thinking what if a kid pops out but at night i have got into races on the street it happens i dont know where you come from but in manchester you get a lot if buggers trying it on all the time aspecially if you have a turbo car like my scoob (rip) or a vtec.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Illegal street racing at its 'best' :lol:

A few more years and a few less testosterones and the urge will drop. :lol:
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Stay salty :lol:

Teddy92110

Post by Teddy92110 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:39 pm

lewd lude lover wrote:Illegal street racing at its 'best' :lol:

A few more years and a few less testosterones and the urge will drop. :lol:
Lol police do come have a look at whats going on watch the show and go because its a "private road" they cant do nothing only if the owners of that road say something but they have give the organisers permission. Its like a dual carriageway blocked off for racing.

Teddy92110

Post by Teddy92110 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Anyways back to my car. So thanks fellas for the advice and info. Ill keep you lot up to date on what happens with it. Im gonna create a page on my profile with pictures showing whats been done as soo as i start modding

Return to “Tuning”