Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Engine rebuild,,,,, need advice on remap... Help

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
Red motegi
My Generation: 5G

Engine rebuild,,,,, need advice on remap... Help

Post by Red motegi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi guys, I,m going to need my 5th gen remapping to cope with new valve train, she is (was) a 2.2 vtec motegi red top, but after knackering a valve decided to upgrade her valve train, so she now has a stage 2 skunk cam going in, with stainless valves, retainers, and spring,s all matching skunk items, I know the inlet and plenum are bigger than stock on a motegi anyway, and she also has a typhoon induction kit and full stainless exhaust (again a skunk one) and stainless updated manifold. While I sort my engine rebuild she,l be deglazed and have new bottom end bearings and obviously a full gasket set put in. But am totally stuck on what I do about the mapping? Do I need a new ecu? And also where is recommended for the map to be done???? Help.

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by 4thgenphil » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm

obd1 conversion harness and s300 would probably be the best of the cheaper options but if you want to spend a little more AEM EMS or a motech system would be ideal! also being a motegi or not makes no difference, its the engine (h22 a8) found in later models that makes the power difference! might be worth looking into either a skunk or ATR intake mani while ur @ it IMO! also you getting the head pnp'd?

tuning wise i would say it's dependant on ur location, Performance auto works seem to get the most out of h22's so thats where i'm going!
:thumbdown:

Red motegi

Post by Red motegi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Ah thanks for the advice, yeah the engine is an A8, would of thought the k&n typhoon induction would cope with things won't it? Cheers for the input,,,

Red motegi

Post by Red motegi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Will polish and porting be a good idea? Just didn't think it would make much gain??? And what on earth is IMO short for???? Thanks again

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Red motegi wrote:Will polish and porting be a good idea? Just didn't think it would make much gain??? And what on earth is IMO short for???? Thanks again
yes it would make a difference and you CAN gain alot if its been done correctly. IMO= In MY Opinion

and yes the typhoon is good (although some will argue the type s intake is better (probably is low down)) i was tlaking about the intake manifold. as if i remember correctly the a8 has IAB's where as the ATR and skunk2 manifolds (which is based on the ATR one) dont and are better for peak power! ;)
:thumbdown:

Red motegi

Post by Red motegi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Ah ok, yup, that's all a lot clearer to me now, going to look in to the port n polish, and skunk intake manifold, and ecu gubbins,,, many thanks for the pointers, shal I stick on vernier pulleys while am at it?

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 am

Cam gears would be a good shout if your getting it all tuned with a programmable ECU like the S300 - you can gain some more power with some tweaks.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 am

Hey bud. Glad to see you've come across. Still waiting for that profile thread ;-) :lol:

Just to reiterate everything Phil said, and you'll definitely need vernier pulleys for tweaking the tune.

Check out H-Tune for the Hondata S300 and OBD2 - OBD1 conversion harness. Scott has given me some great unbeatable prices in the past. He deals with Skunk2 as well, so could help you out with an intake manifold as well if you have no luck with finding an ATR (which will need modifying so you know).

Return to “Tuning”