Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Timing belt 4th gen vs 5th gen

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
littlefeller
My Generation: 4G

Post by littlefeller » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 am

ooops :oops: yep just checked the owner manual 10000km not miles (mine doesnt show miles :evil: epic fail :oops: :lol:

PerformanceAutoworks

Post by PerformanceAutoworks » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:09 am

Sorry my post last night (Buzzonion Vtec) was a bit on the short and direct to the point side of things, was on my mobile at the time.
Just happened accross the thread and felt the need to make it clear what the intervals were before the wrong information got out of hand and everybody started thinking they were safe to essentially ignore the belt.

These belts do generally outlast the specified interval but you are walking on eggshells everytime you start the car if you continue to take the risk.
Belt condition can ONLY be properly evaluated by removing and turning over to check belt teeth, they usually start to crack. Once they get to a certain point they will simply shred away.

Simple answer to any of this is
If you don't 100% know the belt has been done when it should have been then change it. It may not be the cheapest job in the world or have the most kudos but it's a damn sight cheaper than removing the head to replace the valve, valve guides etc when one snaps in VTEC.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 am

PerformanceAutoworks wrote:It may not be the cheapest job in the world or have the most kudos but it's a damn sight cheaper than removing the head to replace the valve, valve guides etc when one snaps in VTEC.
Amen to that. It set me back in excess of £700 in the end after my belt had snapped and that included a free replacement head and a cheap £30 an hour labour rate.

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

why cant cars have a casette type cambelt, then it ould be a 10 min job :D

Return to “Engine / GearBox”