Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Refurbed Rear Calipers... Too good to be true?...

Found something on eBay? Selling something on eBay? Tell us here
NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Refurbed Rear Calipers... Too good to be true?...

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:31 pm

I was in the middle of refurbing some rear calipers, but the parking brake portion is very rusty (including under the seal) and will prove very difficult to clean up effectively. I need to get new pistons and seals for them anyway and so I have just been looking at professionally refurbished units instead.

I've found these two contenders on ebay (possibly the same company) selling pairs, and offering £15 back on receiving your old ones, but the price almost seems too good to be true!

Does anyone have any experience of using either of them?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-REAR- ... SwPc9WxbjT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-REAR- ... SwWTRWxLhp

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by Greg-SiR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:03 pm

I'd stick with the scrapyards if possible,i got a single unit 5th gen piece for $40 /21Gbp,not saying thats a going price but still if you get the right yard you might be lucky.
That seems too expensive,i'm sure there is plenty of donors for the units on here too.
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

clarelude23
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by clarelude23 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Im rebuilding a set of rears at the moment too. Alot more parts than i thought in rear setup. I have a scrap caliper there also @NafemanNathan if you need anything off it.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Greg-SiR wrote:I'd stick with the scrapyards if possible,i got a single unit 5th gen piece for $40 /21Gbp,not saying thats a going price but still if you get the right yard you might be lucky.
That seems too expensive,i'm sure there is plenty of donors for the units on here too.
That's £105 delivered with £15 cashback after sending my old ones back (freepost), so £90 for a fully refurbed pair.

I'd be looking at £35 for a rebuild kit anyway and if I was to source another pair of rear calipers at £20 a pop, that's already £75 right there and there's no guarantees they'll be in a much better state than the ones I already have. The rebuild kit doesn't de-rust, clean and rebuild them for me, so for £15 on top of that (£7.50 extra per caliper) I'd be buying these all day long! 2 years warranty as well!

There's no question about whether they're good value in my eyes, but it does sound too good to be true, so I wondered if anyone else had bought from them before to vouch for the quality of parts used, or can see some valid points I'm missing :?
Last edited by NafemanNathan on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:26 pm

clarelude23 wrote:Im rebuilding a set of rears at the moment too. Alot more parts than i thought in rear setup. I have a scrap caliper there also @NafemanNathan if you need anything off it.
Cheers :)

I was wanting to remove the needle bearings from the parking brake mechanism so I can properly get in there and remove the rust in the set I've got. I don't think I can remove the bearings without damaging them though and I can't find replacements anywhere! :roll:

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Re: Refurbed Rear Calipers... Too good to be true?...

Post by newkid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Alot of companies do the cashback incentive. Dingbro especially. Ones they get back off you get refurbished and sold again. Way they look at it its it's 15 for a pair so when rebuilt more money for them.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Oh yeah, I know how it works ;) :lol:

Just this/these particular company(/ies) are incredibly cheap, so I just wondered if they use sub-standard seals and pistons etc.

I think I'll just go for it :? I've always got 14 days to change my mind (I can use there prepaid envelope! :lol: )

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:55 pm

NafemanNathan wrote:Oh yeah, I know how it works ;) :lol:

Just this/these particular company(/ies) are incredibly cheap, so I just wondered if they use sub-standard seals and pistons etc.

I think I'll just go for it :? I've always got 14 days to change my mind (I can use there prepaid envelope! :lol: )
True. With 2 year warranty it's worth it all day long. Might have to add to my favourites incase mine ever need changed.

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:59 pm

I've used the 2nd company before for some brake calipers for one of my other cars. Worked exactly as it should. So really can't complain. Was in a vectra c if my memory serves me correctly.

NCCMUR
XBOX GamerTag: NCCMUR

Post by NCCMUR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:02 pm

The last time i done mine it was £57 +vat + return old caliper
Would go this route all day long!
bristol_bb4 wrote: turn the volume up and get your happy time tissues ready :lol:
Kevin Bridges wrote: How did a didnae!!
NCCMUR's 1997 VTI

Return to “eBay”