Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Are 4th gen lower ball joints the same front and back?

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Are 4th gen lower ball joints the same front and back?

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 am

Does anyone know (for sure) whether the rear lower ball joints on a 4th are the same as the front lower ball joints on a 4th?

All uppers are the same as one another, but this isn't necessarily a rule for the lower. Lings doesn't list them seperately sadly.

Cheers

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am

Yes. Yes they are. I'm 90% sure PAW confirmed this a while back, but I can't find the thread.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 am

Just need someone else with the extra 10% to confirm this now lol. Merlin?... Or better still... Rich? :lol:

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:32 am

NafemanNathan wrote:Does anyone know (for sure) whether the rear lower ball joints on a 4th are the same as the front lower ball joints on a 4th?
I can 100% this 8-)

I found 4G front and rear upper balljoints to be different, also 5G and 4G upper balljoints are different.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am

Huh? So you're saying upper ball joints aren't interchangeable between front and back on a 4th gen? (The ones I was going to get are listed for both :roll: )

And with regards to my original question... What about lowers between front and back?

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 am

Yeah the lower front and rear ball joints are 100% the same.

What im saying on the other point is that I found 4G front and rear upper balljoints to be different. I not sticking my neck out on this fact. My experience was that 5G uppers didnt fit and 4G rears didnt fit the front upper for the 4G.

Me grumping about it before:
Merlin wrote:Yup. Could not find 92-96 upper ball joints on Ebay so bought 5G front uppers thinking they would fit. Nope, thay are too fat to go through the hole. I thought the 5G would be the exact same, unless the guy sent me the wrong part but that has never happened before. So I thought that the fronts are exactly the same as the rears ang bought another set of rear ball joints, nope they have too big a spacing so that the circlip does not sit flush with the bottom of the arm. I need the whole car built by tonight so im getting whole upper arms that include the balljoint from a motor factors :(
If you find that your set of upper front balljoints fits no problems let me know where you got them from as I can refurb my old upper arms.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 am

Ok bud. Cheers for that. There's a guy selling a whole bunch of OE quality suspension components at the moment at great prices, so I've asked him for an even better price if I basically buy enough of everything he can supply for the 4th so I can replace all said components on my track lude when I come to it. (So I'm afraid I probably won't have/attempt-to have them fitted before he's likely to sell out.)

However at the moment he has 4th gen upper ball joints listed to fit the front and back. It's the lowers that he only has listed to fit the front (So the opposite way around to what you found) :?

He's said his supplier thinks there is a chance the lowers would fit the rear as well, but doesn't know for sure. (I'm assumign it's just not been cross-referenced.)

I may well just hang on for Rich, so I know for sure. As at the moment, from what you're saying his listing is wrong, so I'd rather put him straight, so no one else gets caught out.

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm

linky?!
:thumbdown:

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:38 pm

cheers
:thumbdown: