Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Penetrating grease for OEM bushes

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Penetrating grease for OEM bushes

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 am

... Is there such a thing?

Obviously you couldn't physically inject something like this directly into the bush, but is there anything on the market (like that in the link) that can be used to help revitalise squeaky, not too far gone bushes?

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Re: Penetrating grease for OEM bushes

Post by lewd lude lover » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:54 am

i would say not as the oem bushes are a solid mass. poly have movement all over the place so it works. all you might do is cover a developing issue with a plaster. like savlon on a missing finger stump, not best.

there is no circular movement so im not sure what you would be greasing but for the bolt going through the middle?

hmm, if oem's are squeaking would that not say that they had parted inner and outer and were just sitting there rubbing against each other?
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 pm

It's more a case I want to help prolong their life. Under inspection they look solid, but dry. To me, they seem like a component that should be kept lubricated. At the end of the day they will perish if neglected, so I wondered if there was a type of silicone based grease or oil that could help preserve them.

It's my ATB that's squeaking by the way as the bushes do just need greasing ;-)

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

ahh. yes you could smear on some grease to the exposed parts to help prevent more exposure but i cant see how it could get in there unless the bushes were really shot. If your wanting to grease the metal parts that actually moveagainst each other within the bushes then i cant see any issue there. prob a good idea.

i know with my polybushes i really should clean them and regrease them once a year if they are not to rust inside. :? this has been done in year one so we shall see :lol:

apparently to prevent torsional shear you are supposed to loosen off all the bushe connections before you raise the car up. polybushes just spin inside the hub of the arm 8-) . this is obviously something no one is going to do everytime you jack the car up but a car that has been sat on blocks for a long time can suffer from this kind of damage.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:39 pm

lewd lude lover wrote:apparently to prevent torsional shear you are supposed to loosen off all the bushe connections before you raise the car up. polybushes just spin inside the hub of the arm 8-) . this is obviously something no one is going to do everytime you jack the car up but a car that has been sat on blocks for a long time can suffer from this kind of damage.
God hell no! :lol:

Cheers LL cool L ;-)

JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Post by JayJay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 pm

LLL - with the Energy Suspension bushes (the black ones) you don't need to re-grease them once a year as they're "graphite impregnated". Or so they say :roll:
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Lude-dude
XBOX GamerTag: Vtec Junky
PSN GamerTag: Rob7niner

Post by Lude-dude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

I have heard, think on the us forums

that they use marine grease? or something like that

H22a5 UKDM 2.2 VTI 244Bhp 180lbs/ft Crower stage 2
http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t3211.html

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 pm

@jayjay: its not so much the poly you worry about. it is the non galvanised metal parts that need salty deposits washed out and fresh protection applying.

Rick told me the metal starts to corrode and then starts to abrade the poly. you end up with a mess far faster than you would with oem as the poly bushes are free moving withing the housing. this is the reason to give them a touch up now and again.

I just got a pot of high grade silicone grease off ebay and smooshed that about the place. its thick and stickes like the original energy sustension stuff so fingers crossed :o

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

lewd lude lover wrote:its thick and sticks like the original energy suspension stuff so fingers crossed :o
That sticky ay? ;-)

Oh and I corrected your spelling mistakes in the quote, so feel free to change them in your original post ;-) :P

EDIT: Actually, you got a link to that grease from ebay?

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm

The original ES poly suspension grease is some sticky jobby! Do you have some in your ES Master Kit? Its quite a big pot so im sure you could spare some.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”