Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Entire respray. How long does it take?

Oooooo .... shiny!
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Entire respray. How long does it take?

Post by simonc » Wed May 06, 2015 1:49 am

Hi gents,
Hope you don't think it's a daft question, ('from you Simon, a daft question?), but as I'm nearing the point where I'm going to finally get it done, I'd really like to know how long it should take. The guy I've chosen ( Linda's fifth cousin, twice removed...) says it'll be off the road for two weeks.
Is that right?
To be honest, I've seen some of your profiles and some of the respray work that's gone on and need to know what to expect. As you know, I've little faith in the quality of 'professionals' out here (rightly so) but as this is so important, I'd really like an over view of what his team should be doing to make this a spot-on job and not some Malaysian bodge.
Any direction or advice is of course most welcome.
Thanks, Simon.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Shiny
My Generation: 0G

Post by Shiny » Wed May 06, 2015 7:39 am

What sort of respray are you having done? If they are removing windows and door trims, then it will take a lot longer than a masking up job.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Wed May 06, 2015 7:56 am

Hi @Shiny. That's exactly the point. I have no idea what they're going to do but I do know windows and door trims will not be coming out.
From what I've seen on this site, the guys have in effect stripped off all the old paint, sanded the body down, primed it (is that the right word for the grey paint that goes on first?) and then it's painted and painted again with that lacquer stuff.
I'm scared witless that they won't be doing it as per what I've seen and although superficially, it might look ok, they'll have bodged it by not following the rules.
Sorry for bleating on like a wet hen but if i know what they should be doing i can take the time off work to go down there and watch what they do.
That may sound a bit extreme (and as I'm a one-man-band) it'll be costly in terms of lost revenue but I'm going to make sure it's done right, whatever the cost.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am

Apologies to @Wayne2014 for nabbing his photo but is this the kind of thing they should be doing?
Obviously the bumper's off, petrol cap, bonnet, door handles and it looks like it's been sanded down.
So, if I get this straight, those bits off the car get painted off the car and then put back on.
I need them to take those bits off to paint it properly, just leaving everything on, rubbing it down and then painting over the top is not what you guys call a good job.
Am I getting this right or missing something entirely? I need to see my car in their shop in this kind of state before they apply the paint.

damon
My Generation: 5G

Post by damon » Wed May 06, 2015 8:34 am

My pug took 3weeks to paint fully inside the car the rollcage, I fully striped the car down even took windscreen out, saved the paint shop time and I saved some money.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Re: Entire respray. How long does it take?

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed May 06, 2015 8:35 am

No. You need to go and ask them exactly what you want and price etc. They will tell you.
You can do a proper full respray in 3 days. A week is more realistic, 2 weeks is taking the body lemonade unless waiting for parts to arrive.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Wed May 06, 2015 8:36 am

I have to say this is making me a bit nervous, after the issues you've had with 'workmanship' over there....
Does it have to be done now? Or is it something you can live with for a little while longer until you're totally certain that the people doing the job are the right ones?
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

vetrox

Post by vetrox » Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 am

If its being sprayed same colour with just bumpers off and the rest masked I would budget 1 week (it might be done sooner but might as well get a weeks worth of travel for work sorted) depends what condition the current bodywork is as well. If they got to spend a whole week filling and welding then its gonna take a little bit longer :)

I cant comment on colour changes as I've never had that done

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed May 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Can you ask for the contact details of some of their previous customers who have had the same treatment you're asking for. There's bound to be some local if they're local. Ideally you want to see some examples from a couple of years ago.

You can explain that you'd like to see past example of their work and if they take offence by that then I'd be looking elsewhere. They should be taking pride in their work and want to show it off. If they refuse then they're hiding something.

Lude-dude
XBOX GamerTag: Vtec Junky
PSN GamerTag: Rob7niner

Post by Lude-dude » Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 pm

body shops will take the body lemonade if they can

last spray job took good 6 months, lots of excuses

lay down the law to whoever does it, I need it done in this time or I'll take it somewhere else

H22a5 UKDM 2.2 VTI 244Bhp 180lbs/ft Crower stage 2
http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t3211.html

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”