Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New luder

New member? Introduce yourself here!
Wisewizzy1
My Generation: 5G

New luder

Post by Wisewizzy1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi I'm new here just got myself my first lude 1997 h22a5 5th gen bb8 on 83k..
I don't think it has been looked after I Rekkon it has been ran low on oil and probably not serviced for a while
Was sweet when I got it..
after thrashing it home I noticed it sounded a bit rough all of a sudden carried on driving home when I got back I noticed it was tapping its head off and when I came to a junction and pressed the clutch the revs dropped right down and it nearly cut out..
Got to my house same thing when in neutral it idled ok but every now and then nearly cut out..
I did an oil change and took it to my friends he said try the lost motion assemblies so swapped them out and no joy.. The cam shaft cover had a bolt missing and one had rattled loose and been rubbing on the pulley..
I think someone may have attempted to do the timing belt and realise it's a dual belt and got scared lol
It doesn't sound as ticky and now my mate reckons its a bottom end knock.. Also we stuck a magnet in the vtec solenoid and there is metal filings..
I'm in a dilemma now cus I'm not sure whether to try fix, rebuild or buy a new engine and fit that.. I need to know whether any of the h22 models will fit or is it only a H22a5 that will fit? I've seen a h22a 2 and I've seen a h22a7.. Don't know if these will fit tho.. Any help will be much appreciated.. Thanks guys

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Welcome to the club bud. Sorry to hear of your woes so early on :(

From the sounds of it, if you can find a known good engine then it'll be the easiest solution.

H22a is from a JDM 4th and 5th gen 197bhp
H22a2 is from a UKDM 4th gen 185bhp
H22a5 is from an early UKDM 5th gen 185bhp
H22a7 is from a UKDM Accord Type-R 212bhp
H22a8 is from a latter UKDM 5th gen 197bhp

The 4th gens will be OBD1, so run different injectors and dizzies to your OBD2 setup. The Accord Type-R will also be OBD2, but runs a different inlet manifold and injectors. If you want to run any of the OBD2 setups that are of a higher bhp then you're likely to need the maps to suit (ie. The ECU from the same car or a standalone or piggyback system).

You'll also need to check to see if you need to run a knock sensor or not.

Those are the main things to take into account.

firstlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by firstlude » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

hello and welcome sounds like someone new this car had issues and just wanted to move it on , just goes to show even low milage ones can have there issues if not serviced properly
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

sol-lude
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, many many old and young wizards here that will be able to guide you on your quest to a happier and friendlier lude experience.

Wisewizzy1

Post by Wisewizzy1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks nafemanathan for the info and thanks to the other guys for the warm welcome..

It really was heartbreaking cause the car is really nice and I've always wanted one... But oh well.. Would you guys recommend a rebuild or engine swap? Or investigate and fix? I'm thinking rebuild because at least I no its right once it's done.. But ideally want to do it the most cost effective way.

Wisewizzy1

Post by Wisewizzy1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks again for the quick replies and I'll post some pictures up soon aswell

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:01 am

The trouble with replacing the engine is knowing it's a good'n, hence why I said a known good one. You obviously don't want to be buying another lemon. Good ones do obviously pop up on here now and again, but you could be waiting a while. They can go for anywhere up to £500/600 for a very low mileage and nearer £300 for over 100k miles. Ideally you'd want to get another H22a5, then you know you don't have to convert/remap anything.

If you were to have your existing one rebuilt would you do it yourself or would you be paying someone to do it? Because that would cost more than a replacement engine in just labour.

If it's definitely shot and you're capable you could take it apart to at least know what needs replacing, and then price up from there. We can help with approximate prices for new and second hand parts, and we'll likely have all the second hand parts between us ;)

Edam
XBOX GamerTag: LordGooseBerry

Post by Edam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Id look into the issues a bit more im with the chap above everyone is happy to help i also have a h22a5 sat in my shed thats mostly just a parts bitch

Wisewizzy1

Post by Wisewizzy1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Ye I deffo agree I have seen a couple of h22a5s but obvs there's no guarantee that there decent.. I wouldn't be do the work myself because I don't have the space time or enough know how.. I can do basics but that's about it.. I have 2 mechanics I use.. one of them is a really good experienced ex Jordan pit mechanic who is coming to look at it at the weekend and he will deffo give me a honest opinion of whether he can repair it and if not a quote on a rebuild which will let me know where I stand and then I'll b able to decide whether its a engine swap or rebuild I'm gonna go with.. Thanks again nafemanathan for the advice and info it's great that you guys are so helpful some people on other forums really don't give you the time of day lol. Also thanks edam I may have to tap you up for some parts depending on which rout I take thanks again guys..

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Cool. Keep us posted with what your mechanic friend concludes :)

Return to “New Members”