Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by simonc » Wed May 22, 2024 8:40 am

Arrrgghhhhh, after all that work I decided to have a quick gander on Monday to admire my handywork and look what I found. It seems as though the sound deadening has dropped a bit (you can see the slightly lighter felt in the photo, just above the cut-out part) and has rubbed against the paint on the spark plug cover. Damn.
Oh well, looks like I know what I'll be doing on Saturday...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by Merlin » Wed May 22, 2024 10:08 am

That is a shame as it looks like your sound deadening is still in really good condition. Could it be that it needs to be made a little bit more taut to stop it sagging at that point?
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by Vtecmec » Wed May 22, 2024 10:45 am

I stopped mine from sagging at that point by squeezing a small amount (pea sized) of sikaflex through that hole (a bit above and a bit below), then placed a towel on the engine to force the shield to the metal and shut the bonnet overnight.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm

simonc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:40 am
seems as though the sound deadening has dropped a bit (you can see the slightly lighter felt in the photo, just above the cut-out part) and has rubbed against the paint on the spark plug cover. Damn.
They all do that unfortunately - it's really annoying.
Really it needed an extra fir-tree clip to hold it up at that location, but drilling through just the bonnet rib skin to create the hole for one and not clouting the underside of the bonnet top skin when the drill bursts through??? That's not going to end well!

simonc
Supporter 2016

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by simonc » Wed May 22, 2024 2:08 pm

Merlin wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:08 am
That is a shame as it looks like your sound deadening is still in really good condition. Could it be that it needs to be made a little bit more taut to stop it sagging at that point?
That's just what one of the guys at the office said yesterday. I've got tomorrow and Friday off so I'll pop down to my guys at AB as I have a couple of jobs that need doing so I'll definitely get them to have a look at this.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by simonc » Wed May 22, 2024 2:10 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:45 am
I stopped mine from sagging at that point by squeezing a small amount (pea sized) of sikaflex through that hole (a bit above and a bit below), then placed a towel on the engine to force the shield to the metal and shut the bonnet overnight.
I'm ashamed to say I had to look up 'Sikaflex' :oops: and thanks for the recommendation. Much appreciated.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by simonc » Wed May 22, 2024 2:15 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm
simonc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:40 am
seems as though the sound deadening has dropped a bit (you can see the slightly lighter felt in the photo, just above the cut-out part) and has rubbed against the paint on the spark plug cover. Damn.
They all do that unfortunately - it's really annoying.
Really it needed an extra fir-tree clip to hold it up at that location, but drilling through just the bonnet rib skin to create the hole for one and not clouting the underside of the bonnet top skin when the drill bursts through??? That's not going to end well!
Thanks, Iain but there's no way my nervous system could take it if anyone goes near the bonnet underside with a drill :crazy: I'm sure Ali and his guys at AB will help me out with something. I'll let you guys know when we've found a solution. :D

simonc
Supporter 2016

Simon C's 1995 4th Gen

Post by simonc » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:32 am

Vtecmec wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:45 am
As you can see from the picture, Ali and his crew didn't use anything (as per your towel idea) to put pressure on the sound-deadening so it's sagged again. You can see a bit of the glue here it's peeled away. Damn. When I'm back up and running, I'll go and get some Sikalfex and do it myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Lude Profiles”