Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5G Window Scraper Seal Trim Restoration

Oooooo .... shiny!
CARRisma
My Generation: 5G

5G Window Scraper Seal Trim Restoration

Post by CARRisma » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Here's a video showing before & after:

Here's some photos of what it looked like before:

After over 17 years, the rubber has perished. It was rough and the metal underneath was visible in patches. This is common on 5G Preludes. It was quite an eye sore and let my car down.

I purchased a 1.5m x 0.30m sheet of black satin vinyl wrap through eBay for £8.99 which should be more than enough while allowing for a few mishaps along the way:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151141327589

You should start by cleaning up the window scraper seal trim. I just washed it while washing the car. As the old rubber was porous, I wanted to avoid using chemicals like white spirits to clean to them up because I was worried they might soak in to the rubber which wouldn't help later on.

I removed the inside door panel and the wing mirror. It doesn't seem possible to cleanly remove the window scraper seal trim without breaking its clips, or at least some of them. There's 6 on each side. Luckily I already had a handful of spares from a breaking Prelude I visited last summer. So to remove it, you'll need to just pull it up, start at one end and work your way along. Like I said, clips will break so you'll need replacements when refitting.

Once you've removed the seal, this gives you the opportunity to satisfy your OCD tendencies by cleaning & waxing the area beneath.

You'll also need to clean the underside of the scraper seal so the black vinyl wrap sticks to it properly. To make sure the trim is extra clean, stick a strip of duck tape on it and pull it off. Do this a few times to make sure any ingrained dirt has been pulled away.

Remove the window scraper seal trim end cap and cut off a slightly oversized strip of wrap which is about 1.5 cm wider and maybe 2 cm longer than the actual window scraper seal trim. Insert it into the gutter which runs along the length between the curved trim and the window scraper. Here's a pic showing what I mean:

Slowly and carefully peel off the backing. I pulled it off, sliding the peeled backing along inside the gutter, keeping it all level. While doing so, apply gentle pressure to the top edge of the wrap ensuring it is as deep in as possible (it only goes in a few mm, so not a lot). Once you've done that, carefully fold it over the curved section making sure there are no air bubbles. When that's one, simply fold over your excess 1 cm of wrap underneath and at both ends make sure it's stuck secure.

If you're a perfectionist, you'll probably mess this up a few times, hence why it's a good idea to buy more than just the minimum amount of wrap required. I was successful on my third try.

To make sure the wrap has stuck inside that gutter, run one of those cotton bud sticks along the inside. Using a cloth, give it a firm wipe all over to make sure the wrap is stuck down all over. Push the end cap back in.

Slide back on a set of unbroken clips and put it back on to the door. You'll hear a satisfying click when the clips secure in the door.

Sorted. Here's the finished product:

I've only done the driver's side so far as I have only 3 unbroken clips left (and lots of spare broken clips). So before I do the passenger's side, I'm waiting for these to arrive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151541354736

These cost only £2.81 including P&P for 15. They aren't original Honda clips, but to me they look identical apart from the colour - original Honda clips are white whereas these are blue and a hell of a lot cheaper. These are expected to take about a month to arrive from China, but there are alternatives on eBay with quicker delivery but a bit more expensive. If you want to buy from Honda, the part number for a clip is 91527-SZ3-003, however I can't find this using Lings so maybe that part number has been superseded? Alternative part number are on that eBay listing above.
Last edited by CARRisma on Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi (H22A8 / BB8).

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Great work - Good tip for the future of all window trim pieces :idea:

toadster

Post by toadster » Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Lo :D
I did this to mine last year only I didn't remove the old trim , just got the wrap cut to the size I wanted so that it had the correct amount to fold under.
I bought satin but I'm going to get glossy as it doesn't match the rear trim.
Cheers ;)
Toadster

simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by simonc » Fri May 12, 2017 3:35 am

Fabulous write up and demo, thanks Mr C. ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:39 am

Looks spot on, nice work :D

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Good work.

Hope it lasts as long as the original did.

CARRisma

Post by CARRisma » Fri May 12, 2017 5:23 pm

wurlycorner wrote:Good work.

Time will tell. If I do need to do it again, I'd consider using gloss wrap as per @toadster.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Sat May 13, 2017 10:42 am

Will depend largely on the vinyl, but also how well it's been applied (Very well by the looks of it 8-) )
I was a sign maker for nearly ten years, we had very short term vinyl, 3-5year, 7-10 year and dedicated vehicle wrap stuff which was amazeballs.

The shorter term ones don't hack the heat of summer very well and will shrink and crack, whereas the 7-10 year and above are pretty damn durable. In fact, I'm sitting about 50 yards from a shop sign I remember making probably over 15 years ago and the vinyl is still perfect. 8-)
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

toadster

Post by toadster » Sat May 13, 2017 12:17 pm

LO :D
bennyboy wrote:

Will depend largely on the vinyl, but also how well it's been applied (Very well by the looks of it 8-) )
I was a sign maker for nearly ten years, we had very short term vinyl, 3-5year, 7-10 year and dedicated vehicle wrap stuff which was amazeballs.

The shorter term ones don't hack the heat of summer very well and will shrink and crack, whereas the 7-10 year and above are pretty damn durable. In fact, I'm sitting about 50 yards from a shop sign I remember making probably over 15 years ago and the vinyl is still perfect. 8-)
I bought the best stuff I could direct from a wrappers , they cut it to the size I wanted :mrgreen:
The only problem I have had is that my wind deflectors have cut into the vinyl where it sits on the window strip :(
Can you get thicker wrap :?:

Cheers ;)

Toadster

CARRisma

Post by CARRisma » Sat May 13, 2017 3:34 pm

CARRisma wrote: These cost only £2.81 including P&P for 15. They aren't original Honda clips, but to me they look identical apart from the colour - original Honda clips are white whereas these are blue and a hell of a lot cheaper. These are expected to take about a month to arrive from China, but there are alternatives on eBay with quicker delivery but a bit more expensive. If you want to buy from Honda, the part number for a clip is 91527-SZ3-003, however I can't find this using Lings so maybe that part number has been superseded? Alternative part number are on that eBay listing above.
I've found them on Lings, the part number was right, but Lings doesn't like hyphenated part numbers, so 91527-SZ3-003 should be 91527SZ3003. £3.67 each - http://www.lingshondaparts.com/lings_pa ... 1527SZ3003

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”