Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Opinions on a diesel estate for the Missis...

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Therealjj91
My Generation: 5G

Post by Therealjj91 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:08 am

In my old mans last job, they used the Skoda Octavias as company cars and never had any issues, he bought the last one off them and thats now got nearly 200k miles on it but it's the 2.0 16v tdi and not the 1.9 8v. It's a great car, I've driven it many times and is fairly pokey!

prelude_h22

Post by prelude_h22 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 pm

The 7th Generation Accord I-cdti diesel doesnt have a dpf.
Cheaper more of a throwaway car - perfect for racking up the miles.

Ted
My Generation: 4G

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:34 am

6 pages and not 1 mention of the vw group 2.0l engine shitting itself on a regular basis. Or the now out of the picture Toyota having massive head gasket issues in 2.0l and 2.2 form. 2 pence. ;)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 am

there might also be a bit of 'aspiration/expectation' difference between the two groups of buyers (Skoda owners expectation of reliability might be lower than vw buyers, for example and therefore more likely to grumble?)
Dunno.

As you say, Electric handbrakes are bollocks IMO. More stuff on modern cars that sucks...

I think as Ratty says, a lot of DPF issues on some marques are driven by buyers not correctly maintaining them and/or driving the car through enough of a range of driving styles (though the latter could equally be viewed as design inadequate to cope with normal human habits!) so I wouldn't discount e.g. the Accord without being absolutely sure it's an issue that you will suffer (driving style) on the particular car you buy (previous service work carried out)?

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am

Ted, I think we must hear more of your experiences there... :hurr:

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 am

@h22: the 7th gen is out of the picture due to the cdti engine issues described here and research backing that up mate. the 8th gen is not needed at the moment as its a grade or two above what she actually needs to get on her feet.

@ted: the toyota D4D engine has known issues for sure. chief amongst them injectors but good to know another known issue is there. both are expensive and annoying. Is that the PD or CR 2.0 in the VAG? As it goes I'm looking at the 1.6 now and that doesnt seem to raise any serious issues but for needing a bit of a poke to get going (like any 1.6) but thats only going on whats reported.

@wurly: thing is the skoda always comes out in the lead on reliability and customer satisfaction by a big margin . It may not have the prestige of a vw or honda badge but owners report less issues and are always more happy with their purchase after time. I believe thats because its a tech level down from any peers in the range and uses tried and tested tech rather than new and improved, which as we all know means untested. Fact seems to be that skoda drivers expect reliability and they get it. DPF problems are mostly associated with poor usage but there are numerous reports of the sensors going down in the more powerful diesels, 2.0 170ps, 2.2 ect. the smaller engined cars dont suffer as much, or so my reasearch seems to show.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Toyota head shifts on the dowels and gasket fails, have experience of this and unfortunately during a rebuild I had the head pressure tested and skimmed, refitted with a Toyota gasket to suit said skim level and then 1 year later when it went again was told by Toyota that the head should not have been skimmed. So why do you sell a thicker gasket to suit a skimmed head?
Vw group 2.0 that replaced the 1.9 pd engine, which is an excellent engine by the way has issues with the oil pump, if memory serves me correctly it's chain driven and the gears wear and it's a bit of a bugger to do. Quite expensive but never done 1 myself but do know a fair few people who have..
Have you thought about leasing James? I've just leased a mitsubishi l200 barbarian through the business purely because it's 100% tax deductible and I can claim the vat back as it's classed as a commercial. Not sure what the story is with a car, tax wise, but it may be worth looking into. For me it was a no brainer , tax man or lease firm I'll pay it to the lease firm please. She won't be able to claim vat back on a car but the lease may still be 100% tax deductible. Just a thought.

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Oh and James the French actually make some of the best diesel engines in the world. Just find a Japanese car with 1 of them in lol.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

Yeah the 2.0 has pump issues, but thats before 2005 apparently. after that they fixed it? the toyota is just too fugly :lol:

yeah a jap car with a french engine. maybe, not sure what that would look like. I dont doubt they make some good engines, their cars on the other hand, at least the ones Iv had to work on, are annoying. 370z is the only french/jap combo off the top of my head and shes not having one of them.

we have looked into leasing but at the moment it wouldnt make financial sense. She is estimating 20k a year but that could change easily and you get f**ked for going over a set amount. A cheap runner is the option at the moment as it can also be written off and will retain some residual value. in the future yes quite probably but I have the cash to buy her a car and leave it at that. Before we know we have regular cash coming in, adding another monthly bill would be counter productive. next car maybe, this time no.

i have a good base of research and opinion now. its been very useful to bounce this off other car people. I have about 5 weeks to find the right motor now. time to get my palm spat on and my Mike Brewer head on :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Yep, well understand the risk element of going self employed (not entering into that with committed on-going costs but risk to income)

Return to “General Chat”