Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Opinion on 3rd gen for sale

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Sooty
My Generation: 3G

Post by Sooty » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:48 pm

Hi all, so a little update - I bought it!
Does have it's issues, but what doesn't, drove it for approx 120 mile journey home at a range of speeds and it was happy. My back was another thing so first thing to order is a lumbar support cushion from amazon :)

Summary of a shopping list/to do list, is looking like, (unicorns first) replacement rear screen trim / clips, door trim (middle and top),
repair the both door alignment (don't sit flush with the body, deffo one for the pro's)
get alarm installed, fix central locking
replace cambelt and waterpump - honda don't do this anymore so will source parts and ask local garages
replace wheels - I'd like to do this asap! The standard wheels on offer where the steelies with hubcaps, I only took the hubcaps and the key is missing so something else for storage!
Gearshift is notchy not like the 90's honda feel I remember so will need to look into this.
Steering - power steering on full lock left works fine but then if I full lock right it loses power assistance (I was glad it only has 15's!)
Then there's the bodywork, it is (appearing) solid but bubbling will leave that for another post.
Exhaust is leaking
Bushes need replacing, on smooth roads it isn't noticeable but on broken roads there are unexpected noises and it was mentioned on multiple mot's

The drive through the A roads was a pleasure and a manual box @wurlycorner I think I'll be keeping it :)

Just wanna say thanks to all :) Feels nice to be back in a honda, and it's a green 3rd gen - only took a few years :)

oh and the speakers are shot :)

toadster
My Generation: 5G

Post by toadster » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:17 pm

Lo :D
Nice one 8)
Cheers ;)
Toadster

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:10 pm

Thanks, been a busy few days but a little update, I've put on about 300 miles on the car all I can say is it made me smile again :) I'd lost the love for driving and only really drove when I had to - this has changed that, and the retro blown speakers and the low seating position made me feel young again :) and though I wasn't looking for a manual I think fate worked out for the best, I forgot how much I enjoyed manual's and it was the long tedious work commutes that made me go to auto all those years ago and it doesn't matter how much power was there it was never really enjoyable, I realise now that I've missed many a year driving and spent it commuting.

The rear screen clips have been sourced from rock auto which worked out way cheaper than any other source, actually it was tough to find anyone to deliver these here so a big thank you to you guys for listing sources!
Link for the clips: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/preci ... /+clip,165

Whilst there I ordered an initial set of hoses for the inevitable replacements down the line (didn't get the full set just yet) Link for the gates references and info: https://www.preludepower.com/threads/my ... se.316410/

Also ordered today was the timing belt, tensioner and water pump from autodoc, so will look to find someone to install these in the new year.

Given the to do list the wheels are lower down the priority, and I'll need to locate a a few parts from breakers.

Oh almost forgot the bushes, they were from https://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/ and it was Superpro Part Number: KIT5162K-RG

Thanks again all.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:34 am

Excellent news, great to hear it's working out for you.

Good find on the rear screen clips - honda discontinued them years ago, you used to be able to buy them from rejel in the UK, but I bought their last stock a few years ago (sadly a couple short of a full set). I'd looked on rockauto but they didn't do them then, must have been a recent addition!

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:39 pm

So a little update on this, I was intending to have a go at changing some of the bushes myself, but having watched a few videos and read a lot of comments I decided against it due to the lack of tools, garage to work in and experience having never done this before. So a visit to my local place and the umms and arrs where clear and they were hesitating due to the rusty nuts and potential for breaking bolts! But they agreed and suggested that that I change the springs too as they are corroded and all the ball joints. I'd already looked into the springs/shocks previously and there are no branded springs available or a full set of matching shocks, at least that I could find, so I ordered a set of BC coilovers from vipmotorsport at £800, only a little cheaper that the usual ksports but this is getting expensive! Next was autodoc again for ball joints and then I started looking at alternatives for the bolts that may break, there's a good few.

Though I'm yet to place the order here is where I'll be ordering the tie rod ends, sway bar end links and bushes and most importantly the lower control arm cam bolts front and rear from: http://www.autospares.eu/ just making sure that I have everything I need in the one order. They also have the bolts for the rear stabiliser links. I'm really hoping this order goes through as I haven't found anywhere else that supplies these - please shout if there is!

I'm dreading the garage bill for fitting all this...

Update, :( it looks as though I was a little too eager, the items are not confirmed as in stock, once the order is placed they are then checked to see if they are available, given they've been discontinued for many years I doubt anything will be sent. They will confirm the ordered items and then payment is requested via money transfer. I'll update in due course, but now back on the hunt for alternatives. Also have a job interview I should really be prepping for...

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:59 am

IMO on the ball joints - if there is no play in them, DON'T change them from the original OEM to after-market.
The OEM ball-joints and OEM dust covers/boots are FAR better quality than anything after market. The boots age and eventually crack over time, but they are replaceable and that's what I strongly advise to do instead (items 25 and 15 on below, for example)
This is the route I've gone down with my ludes now, because I've found after-market ball-joints (particularly the boots) just do not last anything like as well. I've had the boots split after just a year - which is completely unacceptable.
Remove the old boot, clean, re-grease and fit new boot as per the instructions in the service manual (note: they need to lightly grease around the shaft where the boot sits, as well as down in the ball-joint itself)

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:21 pm

Thank you ! I'll look into picking up those when I can. The car had been booked into the garage for sometime but one thing or another got in the way.

Update on this is, I've just picked up the car and only done a mile or so but whilst it is reasonably fresh in my mind, that the super pro kit has been fitted, the comprehensive one along with the BC coilovers and it is currently on a soft setting of 7 or of 30 and I need not have worried about it being harsh, it really is compliant and comfortable. It's still on 15" wheels so that'll help.

What I wanted to mention was the eccentric bolts and the front lower arm bolts, these are available from ba4 shop but due to Brexit they don't ship to UK, but I used a forwarding service which got them over ( don't select ups they messed up big DHL worked well) forward2me it was called. So after a couple of months they arrived.

Cat 1 alarm fitted, and required door motors on both sides as there central locking had issues lol I now have central locking!!

2.25 mandrel bent baffled exhaust done, it is a little loud at certain revs but ok at idle and cruising speed.

Gearbox fluid changed using honda oil, feels nicer now.

Next... Cambelt waterpump and oil sump seal.
Oh and the killer abs failure on front passenger side likely caused by the abs ring. Any help on where I could get this or get it rebuilt??

Thanks!!

Return to “General Chat”