Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Hardly an inspiring range, is it?

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by simonc » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:47 pm

I don't mean to be a misery but this was shoved through my letterbox last weekend and after looking at it, I despaired at the current offerings from Honda.
Look at them, dull, bland and devoid of aspiration, while looking like carbon copies of offerings from Toyota, Nissan, Peugeot, Vauxhall et al. Where's the engineering, the mould breaking design and the originality?
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this collection of Honda's finest for 2024, as I've got a nasty feeling I'm turning into a real grumpy old so-and-so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm

The 'New Cars' section of the Honda website is very uninspiring. I guess the UK Market has dwindled for them, people have obviously been drawn to the aspirational and fashionable brands, or the cheaper ones. The advice of the previous generation (buy a reliable honda) must fall on deaf ears. No coupes, no sports cars, no quirky oddball contraptions.

The US gets more to chose from with the Acura brand.

Overtook an eny1 yesterday, it is a bit bland and doesn't really stand out in anyway - hopefully they were cheered up by the bright green honda e (which whilst interesting and quirky is still a tough sell, hence the flop and now discontinued and no successor).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

toadster

Post by toadster » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:57 pm

Lo :D
Totally agree :(
Once the S2000 went that was the last great Honda for Me.
KIA make some nice looking car's and I quite like the Toyota Corolla Estate Hybrid :mrgreen:
MG electric is at least a bit different.
Not many unique motors anymore which is sad :(
Cheers for posting ;)
Toadster

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:03 pm

No you're dead right - although the Civic is really decent and the Jazz is still great (not sure why the Jazz isn't in that brochure???).
But yep, the 'e' was the only really cool and interesting car they've produced for a good while now (excluding the CTR). It's such a far cry from their 90's range, which was just absolutely superb.

That is true of most manufacturers now though - we've just entered the era of bland amorphous SUV blobs!

Can only hope that with them starting to develop things like the new prelude model, they *might* start to it around though. They are also pushing mugen and HRC model development in JDM land so fingers crossed that might also lead to something?

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 pm

toadster wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:57 pm
Once the S2000 went that was the last great Honda for Me

Cries in S660.

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:36 pm

i absolutely HATE suv's. dull, pointless fashion tat!!! and those Honda ones are some of the worst granny type cars going...in the words of the great Mr-T.. "I pity the foo !!"
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

toadster

Post by toadster » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:48 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 pm
toadster wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:57 pm
Once the S2000 went that was the last great Honda for Me

Cries in S660.
I'm only talking UK models :D
Cheers ;)
Toadster

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:19 pm

We picked up a used Civic from a main Honda dealer in Kent a couple of years ago and noticed this.
At the time you couldn't get a Civic new so in the showroom was an E, a Jazz and a couple of SUVs which I don't know or care what they were called. BMW's range today seems endless and I think of how few models they offered in the 90's, Honda seem to have done the complete opposite and lost some exciting products in the process.

I read an interview with the CEO of Honda UK who said that over here they are not chasing volume, they are interested in making profit on the cars they do sell. I just did the brakes on the Civic and as it's still quite new thought I would go OEM on the parts, the nearest dealer to me is over a 60 mile round trip whether you go south, west or north, even further to the east so no thanks. The patchy dealer network seems to fit with that strategy & shrinking customer base.

Without wanting to sound like an inverted snob I drive past the new housing development down the road and everything parked outside the garages that they literally can't fit into is (1) very large (2) brand or nearly new and (3) usually wearing a premium badge. I need to remind myself that people like me and on forums like this are the odd ones out when it comes to what we want from a car.

So that was a long reply. In summary yes I also despair but for as long as possible I am happy driving a 90s product from Honda's better times.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:23 pm

About a dozen years ago, not long after we got our first Accord, I popped into a main dealer. While waiting for a part I'd ordered I saw two young salesmen looking at our car. "Why would anyone put a Type R badge on an Accord?" one asked the other.

The car was only about 13 years old. The salesmen were probably not much older. Goodness knows what they would have made of our Prelude.
International Pensioner of Mystery

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:38 pm

Sailor wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:23 pm
Goodness knows what they would have made of our Prelude.
They'd have dismissed it as a relic, Sailor.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Return to “General Chat”