Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Robs 2g BA1 prelude

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
Rob_Cool1
My Generation: 2G
XBOX GamerTag: xoX IceCool Xox

Re: Robs 2g BA1 prelude

Post by Rob_Cool1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 pm

yeah its lucky its there hahah :L

what could be causing friction plate burn? would it be clutch slipping?

no its a step down which is about 2mm deep so should have plenty of life left lol

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Rob_Cool1 wrote:what could be causing friction plate burn? would it be clutch slipping?
Yep that was what I was thinking, which would happen anyway if it was misaligned or not working properly as it disintegrated so I wouldn't read anything into it?

2mm sounds like a big lip to have on a flywheel? I might be wrong there but I can't say I've come across a lip that big in the engines I've rebuilt? It very, very much doubt that could be causing the clutch failure you're seeing, but it might cause some problems or delay wearing in. Not sure what the specs say is the max allowable step?

Still plenty of meat left in that flywheel though, as you say! :D

Rob_Cool1

Post by Rob_Cool1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:18 pm

ok maybe 2mm might be a bit big thinking about it, more like 1 i guess haha :L would it be a good idea to get the face skimmed anyway even if its fine just ti be on the safe side?
it was aligned when i fitted it by the guy that does all the clutches at work so that should've been ok

the only time i slip it is when i pull away, i rev the engine probably a bit too much when i set off so its smoother so that may be why its going? even then not after 800 miles :S

ahh you know what, ive only just remembered!! when i changed it last month, 5th was really hard to get in, at first you had to hold it in 5th and when you let go of the throttle it would pop out. it slowly got better where it would go in but would very very occasionally pop out of 5th. with that in mind and i was in 5th at the time it blew up, would it be possible that because of the 5th gear issues it was slipping the clutch? :/

Rob_Cool1

Post by Rob_Cool1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 pm

wow, same exedy clutch (old new stock all i could afford) changed my driving style completely so i was really careful and this one lasted a huge 550 miles :lol: i knew it wasnt going to last long but i was hoping a bit longer that that.

Now i'm stuck, Exedy are pretty much the only branded company that makes kits for my car, i dont really wana try a 3rd one from them if they cant seem to cope with normal driving (i drove the car with the 2nd one like an old man!!!)

I've read the panther stage 2 ones are S**t so i've asked a few companies that make uprated ones if they could make one for mine but we'll see :/

Other than this.....agaaiinnnn!!! I've done a few bits to the car :) I've put 1 inch spacers on the front which look so good :P waiting to borrow an arch roller for the rears (wont be rolled much just to move the lip behind the arch up) and I raised the bonnet lol, still not %100 sure if i like it though lol.

It's about time i put some updated pics on, been a while ;) duno if they'll work my photobuckets been playing up :(

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Mate, that pants re the clutch :(
That can't be right though, almost regardless of driving style, something HAS to be up with the fitment?
I don't know enough about it/your car in general, but I wonder if the clutch is constantly being worn, not just when you dip it? :?: :?
Just seems like it has to be a mechanical issue for such low miles. I think 1/4 mile dragsters get more miles than you do :lol: ;)
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Rob_Cool1

Post by Rob_Cool1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Wow that last pick isn't meant to be there haha

They've been fitted right each time, I've personally done it but I've always had someone check it all as well. Everyone that's gone when I've looked at it, it does seem to be hitting the rivits like there's to much torque but it's barley a powerful engine lol. Hopefully competition clutch or someone like that can sort me out lol

Haha yeah they probably do!!

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:59 pm

On the plus side, it's looking 8-)

When you fit the next one, do you think it's worth taking it to someone very knowledgeable on these things like PAW?
Provided your clutch will last from your house to there of course..... :mrgreen: ;)

Not saying you don't know what you're doing btw! :lol: Just I know that 3 clutches in a year would be pissing me right the drokk off!
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes, if you're driving it like miss daisy, then you are not putting much power or torque through it and it should not wear out in under 1000 miles, something has to be wrong somewhere else and this is a symptom.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Didn't Miss Daisy have someone else driving for her?

On topic, is it possible that the clutch has been adjusted so that it's always dragging a bit?
International Pensioner of Mystery

Rob_Cool1

Post by Rob_Cool1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Drove it and it it went with a bang, quite literally lol.

I was told by someone that it could be because it's been lowered so much, it's putting extra pressure on the clutch. Also noticed when I changed the cv boot the driveshafts have been shortened a bit.

Hopefully the competition clutch kit will fit and that will cure it slightly. Also the clutch cable was quite tight so the pedal was high but still had a good inch and a half travel before the clutch started to disengage.

I start my new job on Monday so hopefully in a couple of months I will have saved the money for a decent kit lol.

Return to “Lude Profiles”