Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Alinton's 4G jdm

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
alinton
My Generation: 4G

Alinton's 4G jdm

Post by alinton » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Here's mine I got hold of in March, identical in spec and colour (well, it was) to one I had a few years ago and regretted selling ever since!

A '96 BB4, 2.2 VTEC Auto. It's had a full respray - it was black, and very dull and shabby - incl repairs to rust in front of the rear wheels, sills and roof; repaired ECU; fitted double-DIN head unit and new Focal door speakers, plus Clarion sub-bass in the boot; Rocker cover refurb; timing belt; water pump; drive shaft gator; and a few other cosmetics.

A new Spoon-copy chip is being installed this weekend too.

A few more things to do (aren't there always?) like refub some of the window trims which have greyed, and I'd like to replace the rims.

The car goes really well now though, handles great, and looks good I think. There aren't many 4th gens around in Ireland, and even less in good nick.

Andy
Kilkenny
Ireland.
Last edited by alinton on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
'96 BB4.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Looks good - shiny shiny! :o front mud guards could do with a jet wash though! :D

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:49 pm

looks good 8-)
nice find
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

alinton

Re: Alinton's Lude with new clothes!

Post by alinton » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:56 pm

@Wurly jeez I know. Its cow jobby. I live in farming country!
---------------------
'96 BB4.

ddoubledanny
LotM Winner
PSN GamerTag: Ddoubledanny

Post by ddoubledanny » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Looks nice and in the best colour 8-) 8-)

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:53 pm

Lovely job on the paint! You'll have it looking like new in no time now :)

alinton

Re: Alinton's 4G jdm

Post by alinton » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 pm

I've been reading a few posts on here in which guys have done lots of work on their cars with interest, it's always great to see what others have done and what results they've got!

So I have a few thoughts...

Wheels/rims - my car has the standard 15" rims with 205-15/55 tyres, which I don't like much, but what size is the best to use? When I got the car it had some old crap 225-60s, and they fouled the wheel arch covers on full lock and when cornering hard, and the speedo read too low with the rolling radius, so I'd be concerned about increasing the radius too much.

I'd also be concerned that the ride might get too hard if I went with larger rims and less profile. I saw a pic of someone's car with 17" 40 profile on, and it looked like nowhere near enough rubber.

Maybe 16 inch rims, 215/50 size tyres?

Intake: I know there's a lot of discussion about them and I understand that it's important to reduce the intake resistance as much as poss, but I wonder what the real gain is with an aftermarket intake? The stock air filter is quite big, bigger than some cones I've seen; obviously method to get the air to the filter is important, so one might be tempted to remove the resonator and maybe relocate the air filter into the void vacated by it.

My concern then however would be that water would be sucked in if driving on very wet roads or during rain, with a lot of spray around. I can see how the resonator will prevent this, and I doubt it adds much restriction.

Headlights: do aftermarket HIDs work ok in the stock headlights?

ECU chip: I replaced mine with one of Rob's and it's working great! The VTEC comes in a little earlier, you actually get the acceleration when you need it now, not a couple of seconds later. Highly recommended.

Engine bay: I really can't make the head shield look good. High temp black paint isn't black enough, and high temp silver just looks like grey primer. I've seen people with no heat shield, but it wonder where that heat all goes then, surely it'll affect the AC pipe that runs close by?

One more thing springs to mind: The trims around the rear side windows and beneath the rear scren are tired and get looking on mine. How best to restore them?

All comments welcome!

Andy
---------------------
'96 BB4.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Rear quarter window surrounds can be recovered by polishing with autosol metal polish. The strip under the rear screen either needs to be repainted or replaced with a new one.

There's a thread somewhere on here that covers the advantages/disadvantages of the various different wheel and tyre sizes. Hopefully someone knows where it is so they can post up the link :-) (actually it ought to be a sticky? :think: )

alinton

Post by alinton » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Here's the Spoon chip (from Rob) installed:

And today I fitted rear parking sensors. You can't really see them in the photo - which is a good thing I guess!

A
---------------------
'96 BB4.

alinton

Post by alinton » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Today, I also fitted the reversing camera that came with the cheapo, but surprising goodo, Eonon head unit:

BTW: My other half has announced that she's starting a new Facebook group, entitled, Prelude Widows. Think she'll get many followers?

A.
---------------------
'96 BB4.

Return to “Lude Profiles”