Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Black JDM Si VTEC

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Old exhaust off

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Got pissed off with working on the house, so decided to finally get on and swap the exhaust on the JDM (starting at 5pm :lol:)

Up nice and high helps a bit with this one!

Just lining the new one up to check it'll fit properly before going in too heavy...

:o What's that sneaky peek of in the background?

As always with exhausts, it was an unnecessarily bitch of a job. Plan was to replace the whole lot till I discovered my wobble about header pipe sizes (see post elsewhere) so then only planned to replace cat-back.
Of course the bolts on the back of the cat didn't properly fit any socket and I couldn't get at them properly because the heat shield needed to be removed and of course 2 of the 4 bolts on the heat shield had corroded to buggery and one of those was the one up directly above the sensor that was never going to come off in a month of sundays, so drilling out wasn't an option :roll: So had to unbolt from the front of the cat...

Amazingly I did manage to get all 3 of these off within an hour and only broke 1 cheapo 1/4" drive ratchet in so doing! :lol: (It didn't like 3 feet of extension bar on the end it, surprisingly :? )

So old exhaust off

And then to work on it... :roll:

Heat shield off (undamaged) and one of the 3 cat back nuts off. By that time I was using the light of the sparks to illuminate he work-piece, so thought it was probably time to stop for the night :lol:
Last edited by wurlycorner on Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

honda-hardy
Club Cartographer
My Generation: 5G

Post by honda-hardy » Sat May 18, 2013 11:24 pm

LISA!!!!!!!

WHAT DO YOU WANT IAIN?????

COME AND TAKE A PICTURE OF SOME SPARKS AND jobby!!!!

FORKING HELL IM DOING MY NAILSOK GIVE US A SEC

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat May 18, 2013 11:53 pm

8-)
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

ADS1
Supporter 2014

Post by ADS1 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Just been reading your profile, car is looking really nice bud.
Can i ask, where did you get your number plates with the jap flag. Would love to get some for mine :)

wurlycorner

Re: Black JDM Si VTEC

Post by wurlycorner » Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks.
I'll check back through the receipts to find out and let you know about the number plate supplier.
They're not perfect tbh though, the front looks ok, but I'm not happy with the back one. The white insert behind the rising sun red overlay isn't the same size :?
It was a nightmare to find somewhere that did that design, with the red border and in JDM plate size though - this lot were the only ones we could find...

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Ok, so update from yesterdays work.

So after some more 'Sparks and jobby' the cat was separated (nuts ground in half and then whacked off the studs).

Some may have read elsewhere that the cat overtemp sensor snapped off. TBH I'd done well to get it off the car with the wire still attached - the shroud was corroded into 2 before I started and it was just hanging by the single core;

Thanks to Ted for confirming the thread size for the hole (how on earth did you know that?!). I don't have an M18x1.5 bolt, so the sensor has stayed in as it is for now.

This bit on the old exhaust had added to the urgency of doing the job (already puttied over by me once and once off I could see the crack actually went about 2/3rds of the way round :o )

If I'm honest though, that was nothing compared the fact I've had the replacement for over a year and now all of a sudden there are twin-loops coming out of the woodwork all over the place :evil: :troll: :bat:, so before everyone's got them I wanted to get mine on!!! ;) :lol:

And here it is in a bit more glory;

I bought it off JohnnyB on PUK
Don't know anything about the maker. Quick search on google turned up this as a possible? Not sure that's right though.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Speed-ra ... 4808420380

At this stage I realised I didn't have replacement nuts for the cat, as it's an M10x1.25 thread (standard is M10x1.5) :troll: so was going to have to re-use the ones I'd managed to undo from the front and knock the rear studs out to use replacement stainless bolts/nuts that Sam had kindly sent me.

Old cat flanges cleaned up (exciting pics eh?)

Because I'd originally planned to replace the header at the same time, I'd bought a new crush ring for the back of the cat but not the front (the new header came with a gasket, but that wasn't suitable for use with the original header - see separate post) so I was going to have to re-use the original crush ring and hope for the best. It almost worked, just a couple of tiny blows on test (couldn't hear but could feel) so unfortunately I had to use Hermetite. I hate using that stuff, it's always an absolute last resort...

Gently cleaned up.

Fitted.
You can see in this pic, the exhaust had originally been for a UKDM cat but had been lengthened to fit a JDM cat.

Cat over-temp sensor crimped and attached to body ground

Some more exciting pics of the exhaust on the car (with Cat heat shields refitted).

It did fit at the back, but was snug under the bumper

Needed a small bit trimming to allow the loop to pass ok.

If the rear hanger is attached, the tailpipe sits against the bottom of the bumper. Because my trusty Maplin Gas Master hot cutter thingy was empty, I left it disconnected for now and it sits off nice and clear.

Whilst I was arsing about with the sensor grounding and cat heat shields, Lisa took the original back lights out and offered up both of the alternatives we've bought to see which we preferred;

Close run thing (the fully smoked does look great on a black car) but we decided to go for Project eX in the end (thanks Sha/JDM-BB4 :D )

So there it is, new back lights and copy Mugen twin-loop fitted;

The exhaust will lift about 10 - 20mm I reckon once the rear hanger's connected, but that is pretty low hanging - and the car's got to be lowered yet! :?

So after that, there was nothing for it but to take it out for a spin :D

First impressions?
It's very quiet at idle and around town, I possibly prefer the burble at the back of the OEM twin-pipe or the power flow twin-pipe on my UKDM?
What I wasn't expecting and I struggle to quite believe is the difference when you hit :vtec:
It's so much more aggressive when that comes in, both in noise and feel! :o
Lisa always used to say she didn't really notice vtec come in on the car before :roll:
Her first words when I hit vtec with the new exhaust on were "Wow, I can really feel that. It makes me wet!" :10: :rock: :D
Last edited by wurlycorner on Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Mon May 20, 2013 4:42 pm

:lol:

Good job, exhaust stuff is a nightmare :evil:
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Yep, bloody hate doing exhausts...
Mind you, I've never got a response like that at the end of them before - I could get into them quite quickly if that's what happens more often! :lol:

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Impressions after driving it a bit more - definitely feels smoother and more free-revving too.
Both good things :D

Return to “Lude Profiles”